Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shrapnig posted:

Dean Smith is back from the dead and stayed in North Carolina

convenient that he was probably the best candidate and that some sizable number of their fans might unironically believe this

given the number of jokes I've seen I can't wait to see how local media bring it up in a presser

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

:rip: Whitecaps

honestly the Leagues Cup games were closeish so it's not so much that they'll be Chivas-Forge level slaughters (though they might be)

it's that we ALWAYS draw them and I'm sick of them

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

pfft, you're supposed to do it QUIETLY pleading fixture congestion and the competitive pressure of more lucrative more important competitions like the REAL leagues do

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 16, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

there are several where first teams are typically heavily rotated out for domestic cups, which is a more subtle version of what's happening here

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

They haven't even exited? They're just actually sending their B teams instead of pretending not to send their B teams until they get close enough to maybe actually win it, and every MLS talker on the Internet lost their minds?

(who am I kidding, we lost our minds long ago, that's why we're here)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

obviously I've been harping on "they could have just shut up and kept doing what they were already doing and nobody would have cared" so I won't repeat myself but I kind of get whypick's idea because of what CONCACAF, also morons, finally did with the CCL this year? Format is meh but actually providing significant prize money is at the very least a step up - IDK if the broadcasting will be any better, we'll see.

I don't know if they actually would have done it without the Leagues Cup existing but they have certainly had twenty years of opportunities to do it and did not before the Leagues Cup expansion.

On the other hand, the leagues are where the money is. USSF gets its money from, like, youth player registration fees, coaching course fees, (and lol at getting people to agree to raise those) plus NT tickets/sponsorship/broadcast deals. I don't even know where CONCACAF gets money? And the stuff people want to do to "fix" these competitions are going to need either money, co-operative media outlets (and for games/articles that are not really going to get huge audiences or drive a lot of subscriptions unless Messi is playing), or both. The big argument has always been: where's that going to come from?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 20, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Pigma_Micron posted:

Nice to see 4th of July El Traffico at the Rose Bowl again, though.

funny as hell that this was a rainout reschedule that's getting turned into a tradition

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Switching from Crépeau to 2023 vintage Lloris who is still going to be more expensive is such a weird nonsense move that I for one hope those crazy kids do it

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Update: they did it

apparently accordingly to local scribes he is somehow the cheaper option (as Crepeau was in his FA year and wanted/deserved a raise) which I get/am prepared to accept

but I watched enough 22/23 Spurs to know that the on-field keeping is likely to be a lot worse

because it's LAFC I'm okay with this

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

really is there anything more authentically Miami than a cruise line for a kit sponsor?

well, besides things that are illegal to even sell

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

FC Dallas can still make the news, what a miracl--oh noooo

honestly your new striker looks like he can Do A Job at this level, at least!

unrelated note, I know Preseason Means Nothing but Miami's world tour is making me feel really great about their chances this year to be a historic embarrassment

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I just realized we're three weeks away from opening day for the vast majority of the league. Jeepers.

some of us have CCL next week

I am so ready to be hurt again

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Jovial Cow posted:

Red Bulls’ is wonderful.

new jersey ad copy in "actually understandable to people lacking a Passion for Graphic Design" shocker

weirdly allergic to the word "MetroStars" though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

LionYeti posted:

I have admittedly not paid nearly any attention to the Colorado Rapids, are these good signings or is it just enough to get C38 to not boycott games again and be profoundly mediocre?

Honestly Colorado (and Chicago, in passing) have actually made some good looking signings this time around on paper. So presumably they'll all inexplicably fail to work out or pull a Dante Vanzeir.