Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

oh god oh gently caress posted:

In my own experience you'd also be surprised at what people might gloss over as long as your chosen gender presentation is strong enough for people to slot you in that category. I would think I was super obvious and didn't pass at all because of this or that feature but a lot of people just fail to notice those things, especially if you're in an area where trans people aren't that common

Not even gender things, people are just really bad at noticing things that are different in others. My right eye is gone and I eventually had a fake one made that has a rainbow iris. I'll be taking to someone and make a joke about having a rainbow eye, and it will surprise them to learn that, even though they have been looking into my eyes the entire time we have been conversing.

Same with my facial scars that take up my entire right cheek.

So yeah, I can totally buy no one thinking twice about Mizu because why would they? They're not Mizu so who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

limp_cheese posted:

Not even gender things, people are just really bad at noticing things that are different in others. My right eye is gone and I eventually had a fake one made that has a rainbow iris. I'll be taking to someone and make a joke about having a rainbow eye, and it will surprise them to learn that, even though they have been looking into my eyes the entire time we have been conversing.

Same with my facial scars that take up my entire right cheek.

So yeah, I can totally buy no one thinking twice about Mizu because why would they? They're not Mizu so who cares.

Probably relatedly, the entire premise/title of the show is alien to me because I don't think I have ever in my life noticed what color someone's eyes are unless I was specifically looking and trying to commit it to memory. I have no idea what color eyes my parents or brother have, or anyone I work or live with. If someone gave me an eye-color pop quiz I would be guessing 100% of the time. It's always made a huge deal of in fiction, but in my own experience it is just a total blind spot (lol). I doubt I would ever have noticed Mizu's eyes and would only take particular note of her because of her cool 17th century oakleys

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Data Graham posted:

Probably relatedly, the entire premise/title of the show is alien to me because I don't think I have ever in my life noticed what color someone's eyes are unless I was specifically looking and trying to commit it to memory. I have no idea what color eyes my parents or brother have, or anyone I work or live with. If someone gave me an eye-color pop quiz I would be guessing 100% of the time. It's always made a huge deal of in fiction, but in my own experience it is just a total blind spot (lol). I doubt I would ever have noticed Mizu's eyes and would only take particular note of her because of her cool 17th century oakleys
I've certainly seen some actresses where I was impressed how deep the color of their eyes were. Eyes are pretty and I notice them.
I also think it is a bit different if it was something never seen before. Blue eyes which are a bit rounder are just not a thing around there. It's basically like seeing a person who has wide purple eyes, which apparently are a really rare thing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

limp_cheese posted:

My right eye is gone and I eventually had a fake one made that has a rainbow iris.

I hope it's okay to say this is cool as hell.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d have to go read up on the timelines on the matter but there is a decent chance our favorite murder lady rolls up in London to find some mixed folk like herself and no one much giving a poo poo. The East India Company had been doing their thing for half a century when our story starts. Hell, the Silk Road had been rolling right along for a goddamn millennium and a half by the time our story takes place.

It would be endlessly amusing to have Mizu meet her Indian/Chinese/African/[Most anything works here, the Brits goddamned loved what they did] counterpart with blue eyes and get told “bitch you ain’t poo poo” in some phrasing or the other.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I hope it's okay to say this is cool as hell.

If it wasn't cool I wouldn't have gotten it made! The weirdest thing I will ever say is I am very particular when it comes to my eye fashion.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Sorry to derail it further, but how does it look? Are there vertical stripes or a gradual change? Also does it go from up to down or from inside to outside?
Sounds cool either way.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Get you a programmable LED in that bad boy and get real stupid OP.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warbird posted:

I’d have to go read up on the timelines on the matter but there is a decent chance our favorite murder lady rolls up in London to find some mixed folk like herself and no one much giving a poo poo. The East India Company had been doing their thing for half a century when our story starts. Hell, the Silk Road had been rolling right along for a goddamn millennium and a half by the time our story takes place.

It would be endlessly amusing to have Mizu meet her Indian/Chinese/African/[Most anything works here, the Brits goddamned loved what they did] counterpart with blue eyes and get told “bitch you ain’t poo poo” in some phrasing or the other.

Apart from the whole hideous Irish business, the Commonwealth was chiefly preoccupied with the Caribbean a the time this story is set thanks to Cromwell's Western Design and the resultant Anglo-Spanish War. Chance for Mizu to hang out with Jamaicans who have complicated relationships with England.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That would be sick as hell

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She puts together an Avengers crew from all colonized lands

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Sorry to derail it further, but how does it look? Are there vertical stripes or a gradual change? Also does it go from up to down or from inside to outside?
Sounds cool either way.

It looks like this.

Warbird posted:

Get you a programmable LED in that bad boy and get real stupid OP.

I genuinely wish I could get one with an iris that changed color every 10 mins or whatever. I just don't have rhe engineering know how.

Anyway, that's peobably enough with the derail. If anyone has more questions PM me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Eyes that do this

are the kind of body modification I can totally get behind

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Rainbow Eye Samurai

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Rainbow Eye Samurai

Also acceptable: Glass Eye Samurai

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Also acceptable: Glass Eye Samurai

Pretty sure that's just Zatoichi.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

limp_cheese posted:

It looks like this.

I genuinely wish I could get one with an iris that changed color every 10 mins or whatever. I just don't have rhe engineering know how.

Anyway, that's peobably enough with the derail. If anyone has more questions PM me.

No questions, but that's cool as poo poo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I didn't think that we were ever supposed to take Mizu as being male. Just the characters in the show are, because (as mentioned) women doing these things is so uncommon right now that they're going "this person must be a man"

Thinking of it as a way for the show to show us how different this setting is in just another way.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
This was one of the few shows where I was actively glad the lead was hetero. There was a nasty little possible subtext of "if you force your kid into [gender], their sexuality will realign to what's appropriate for that gender" and that was deftly shut down. Would definitely not be opposed to Akemi being gay/bi. It'd be nice for her to enjoy sex without it having to be a power play.

When I was a kid living in Bangladesh, I used to cross dress as a boy due to the (negative) attention a foreign girl gets in public. Even my kiddy version of "baggy clothes, hair kept tight in a ball cap" was liberating as hell. Unfortunately, even with binding, I was very obviously femme and switched to wearing a shalwar kameez with a dupatta over my head anytime I was out and about. But for the short amount of time I was able to pass for a boy, the world felt different.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Having just rewatched episode 2, uh here's a bit of a delicate question. Is binding as painful/injurious as depicted? I know it obviously varies by person, but in Mizu's case it looked like it was showing her bleeding through her clothes while working at the forge, and having to keep soaking in seawater to soothe what looked like heinously red/chafing skin. That part seems pretty self-evident, but is there permanent physical change that can occur from that? From stuff like Yentl I had always imagined it as being a more or less cosmetic/temporary thing you could do under the clothes as needed for one occasion or another, and figured changing chest size through pressure over time was not really a thing, just as the dumb facebook memes about ham sandwiches are not a thing. I am extremely unfamiliar with how breasts work

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Having just rewatched episode 2, uh here's a bit of a delicate question. Is binding as painful/injurious as depicted? I know it obviously varies by person, but in Mizu's case it looked like it was showing her bleeding through her clothes while working at the forge, and having to keep soaking in seawater to soothe what looked like heinously red/chafing skin. That part seems pretty self-evident, but is there permanent physical change that can occur from that? From stuff like Yentl I had always imagined it as being a more or less cosmetic/temporary thing you could do under the clothes as needed for one occasion or another, and figured changing chest size through pressure over time was not really a thing, just as the dumb facebook memes about ham sandwiches are not a thing. I am extremely unfamiliar with how breasts work

It is extremely not good for you. It can damage your skin, lungs, ribs, mess up your back, cause permanent damage, and in general it is an extremely painful thing. In modern day you can specialized custom-fit binders that reduce the risks but even then it's more of a thing where you only wear for ~8 hours a day or you get specialized binders made for exercise. It isn't something you do casually for long periods of time and if you intend to then you generally need some good advanced planning to avoid significant issues.

Someone like Mizu who is not really going to be getting custom-fitted binders and who is having ridiculous anime sword fights is going to be in basically neat-constant agony.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Someone like Mizu who is not really going to be getting custom-fitted binders and who is having ridiculous anime sword fights is going to be in basically neat-constant agony.

well then i guess it was good practice for being constantly near death in swordfights

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I really loved this show, and understand the stretch, but I would have been just as happy if they wrapped it up instead of pushing for a season 2+. It was a very tightly contained story full of interesting characters and arcs with gorgeous, beautiful art throughout. I wasn't left wanting a single thing, and I rarely feel that way about a show, not least an animated one. A+ season.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
If we don't get more Swordfather Eiji in flashbacks or flash-sideways training Ringo I'm going to be very upset.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ringo is clearly going to take the sumo world by storm.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Ringo is clearly going to take the sumo world by storm.

Eiji is going to forge him a pair of steel fists.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Data Graham posted:

it looked like it was showing her bleeding through her clothes while working at the forge

Am I correct in reading that scene as Eiji noticing her trouble keeping pace and that he's already clued into her being female by the time she leaves?

Eiji wouldn't give a gently caress. He loves all his annoying children.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was sure he knew she was female by the time she left through his "you came to me as a foolish boy, and if you leave now it'll be as a foolish man" line and the pointed way he said it, cutting off her "I have another secret"

As to when he first noticed, I hadn't thought about it but the difficulty working the bellows would be a good candidate. She's fidgeting to hide her bindings in that scene even though he's blind.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Am I correct in reading that scene as Eiji noticing her trouble keeping pace and that he's already clued into her being female by the time she leaves?

Eiji wouldn't give a gently caress. He loves all his annoying children.

Data Graham posted:

I was sure he knew she was female by the time she left through his "you came to me as a foolish boy, and if you leave now it'll be as a foolish man" line and the pointed way he said it, cutting off her "I have another secret"

As to when he first noticed, I hadn't thought about it but the difficulty working the bellows would be a good candidate. She's fidgeting to hide her bindings in that scene even though he's blind.

Yeah, that's my read. Eiji's known for a long while, and he does not give a single poo poo.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ex post facho posted:

I really loved this show, and understand the stretch, but I would have been just as happy if they wrapped it up instead of pushing for a season 2+. It was a very tightly contained story full of interesting characters and arcs with gorgeous, beautiful art throughout. I wasn't left wanting a single thing, and I rarely feel that way about a show, not least an animated one. A+ season.

Same. But also I am totally down to watch Mizu clown on london. Any followup will still leave the debut as a pinnacle.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
One thing that bothers me about this show is the racism that Mizu experiences feel weird to me. I'm not saying that Japan doesn't have a history of enormous racism, but the racism feels very Western, if that makes sense. Also, Ainu exist and can have blue eyes, which I feel would be most people's first assumption.

I understand that there's plenty of historical inaccuracy in the show, but there's a lot of it that's also very lavishly devoted to history. It feels weird, like it's subconsciously playing on the "anyone from Asia fearing "those evil White Devils" trope". That said, all of this could just be my own assumptions about history and Japan, and maybe I'm in the wrong.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

One thing that bothers me about this show is the racism that Mizu experiences feel weird to me. I'm not saying that Japan doesn't have a history of enormous racism, but the racism feels very Western, if that makes sense. Also, Ainu exist and can have blue eyes, which I feel would be most people's first assumption.

I understand that there's plenty of historical inaccuracy in the show, but there's a lot of it that's also very lavishly devoted to history. It feels weird, like it's subconsciously playing on the "anyone from Asia fearing "those evil White Devils" trope". That said, all of this could just be my own assumptions about history and Japan, and maybe I'm in the wrong.

Japan during the period where it was closed to foreigners basically ran on xenophobia. The country was so closed and afraid of outsiders that if a Japanese fisherman got lost and was rescued at sea by someone from another country that fisherman was never allowed to set foot on Japan ever again.

Several hundred years later when the country was officially opened to the world and Japan was sending emissaries to the US and Europe one of the guys who went noted that he was no longer trusted by his neighbors when he came back because they were afraid of his contact with the outside world.

It's either mentioned in this video or the one where he went to Europe but that one should be in the related links. The racism is period appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvPxCuIspWs

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It vaguely irks me that we never learn why/how she forges the sword in the first place. It doesn't matter but they make a whole things about how sworddad can't do it and whoops murderlass did it offscreen without him noticing. I wonder if they had to cut something.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The Ainu were also subjected to racism, forced Japanese rule despite revolts, were racially/culturally purged/absorbed, and weren't legally recognised as an indiginous people until 1997, yet still aren't an identity option on the national census.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Well then, shows what I know. Thanks for the information!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So which song do you folks think they'll make a cover for in season 2? Might be too on the nose but I say The Who's Behind Blue Eyes might be a pretty good fit.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Strangely enough the showrunners confirmed it will be a cover of Weird Al's Polkarama sung by the man himself in perfect Japanese. It's a hell of a called shot but I can respect it.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Szmitten posted:

The Ainu were also subjected to racism, forced Japanese rule despite revolts, were racially/culturally purged/absorbed, and weren't legally recognised as an indiginous people until 1997, yet still aren't an identity option on the national census.

Yeah, being Ainu at the time wouldn't be GOOD, I just thought that would be people's assumption in the historical time period given the incredible isolationism.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Warbird posted:

It vaguely irks me that we never learn why/how she forges the sword in the first place. It doesn't matter but they make a whole things about how sworddad can't do it and whoops murderlass did it offscreen without him noticing. I wonder if they had to cut something.

I think it's meant to be kind of a Witch King "no man can kill me" thing, since Master Eiji specifically says something like "no man can forge that metal," so of course Mizu does. But as we learn later, even she couldn't do it perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/tonikopantoja/status/1736893868203966840

Usually storyboards for animated movies go through a lot of revisions, but having to do multiple versions just so they can play around with the tone in the edit is not something I've heard of before. Frustratingly, this kind of tone experimentation is sometimes passed down to animators to work out which is a heck of a lot slower and more expensive than doing it with drawn boards. So this is probably a smart approach.