Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Although the racism is the central plot point, i feel the show spent a lot more time discussing what women were and were not allowed to be. Like in the little house in the mountains sequence, that was much more about Mizu's inability to fit in the mold of the traditional wife than anything

I figure Season 2 is similarly gonna look at English gender relations... although tbh i have literally zero idea what those were like in that time period. The Stuart period, apparently.

Warbird posted:

It vaguely irks me that we never learn why/how she forges the sword in the first place. It doesn't matter but they make a whole things about how sworddad can't do it and whoops murderlass did it offscreen without him noticing. I wonder if they had to cut something.

to be fair she did do it wrong. thematically its fine, its just they showed sworddad couldn't even melt it which made it weird.

there definitely feels like cut sword content. The way the confrontation with Fowler in the castle resulted in Mizu's sword shattering felt like a lead in to 'new sword doesn't get broken by bullets' bit that iirc was never used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My assumption is that the sword is going to end up being the reason for Ringo (and maybe Taigen) to go overseas so they can deliver it to Mizu in time for her kickin' rad fight against a chaingun or something.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Since Fowler has a Norn accent I assumed he was from there and probably won't care what happens to Catholics in Ireland.
I don't expect them to go down that route (that someone mentioned before)

However, I REALLY hope they explore that in series 2 that'd be absolutely incredible

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Taear posted:

Since Fowler has a Norn accent I assumed he was from there and probably won't care what happens to Catholics in Ireland.

Honestly, I don't think more than like five million people in the world can even tell the difference. Probably way less back then.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, I don't think more than like five million people in the world can even tell the difference. Probably way less back then.

Are you kidding me

And it doesn't matter if you can tell the difference it's about who he will be and what that means for the character

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Taear posted:

Are you kidding me

And it doesn't matter if you can tell the difference it's about who he will be and what that means for the character

Fair enough, but I really think you're overestimating people's ability to discern European English accents.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Taear posted:

I don't expect them to go down that route (that someone mentioned before)

However, I REALLY hope they explore that in series 2 that'd be absolutely incredible

Fowler ate his sister as a starving child during the Nine Years' War, which laid the way for the (genocidal) Protestant colonisation that created the enclave we now think of as 'Northern Ireland'. He wouldn't have any reason to identify with the English settlers who took over his home during his lifetime. Having an Ulster accent had extremely different implications in the 17th century.

As for English gender relations, the country was then under the control of a religious-fundamentalist military dictatorship, and Mizu certainly isn't your typical good Puritan woman...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Fowler ate his sister as a starving child during the Nine Years' War, which laid the way for the (genocidal) Protestant colonisation that created the enclave we now think of as 'Northern Ireland'. He wouldn't have any reason to identify with the English settlers who took over his home during his lifetime. Having an Ulster accent had extremely different implications in the 17th century.

He clearly sees himself as part of the Empire though from what he says and does
I guess we don't know WHERE in Ulster he's from

Fair enough, but I really think you're overestimating people's ability to discern European English accents.

People here would, but like I say it doesn't really matter if you know what accents are like, americans are p.rubbish at it usually

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Just finished and enjoyed the show. I think I preferred it’s story more than it’s action? Really felt like the action staging got a bit worse as the season went on. I think that was partially hurt by Mizu becoming a terminator more and more as it progressed. The first half she took hits and struggled and had to get sewn up after. As it went, she continued to get impaled and stabbed in set pieces that lasted whole episodes. They would show her limping and struggling, but fights went on and on and her bleeding out didn’t matter as much as more..

Her marriage backstory was a surprising reveal too, and her leaning into her role as wife. While the outcome was bad, it was nice to see her be able to express all the different sides of herself finally.

Also got completely surprised when I finally watched the credits in the last episode. Did not register Branagh as Fowler at all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As I've said, I think Mizu as the Terminator is chiefly a way of showing how her hate is making her something more than human. She's approaching being a genuine onryo. The problem is that her unlikely strength and durability is also accompanied by an unlikely capacity for indiscriminate destruction, as shown when at the height of her powers (again, maybe literal, maybe not), her quest for revenge accidentally consumes an entire city in fire.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
This show had a lot of highlights, but I was very disappointed by the ending.

(Final episode spoilers) I watched 8 hours of a revenge show, and got no revenge. They made Fowler an unbearable character whose scenes were torturous to sit through, and then denied the audience the chance to see the end of him, or the story.

After learning she needed to rely on her friends, it ends with Mizu just abandoning them, I guess? And heading for England, which sounds uninteresting.

There were a lot of ways to end the storyline, but “heroine takes the lying bad guy at his word and travels with him” was not it.

I didn’t love the show but it looked amazing and had some fantastic sequences. The flashback episode with her past was excellent. But the ending felt like a cheap trick to get people to keep watching season 2, and went against a lot of the character growth to that point.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Ishamael posted:

This show had a lot of highlights, but I was very disappointed by the ending.

(Final episode spoilers) I watched 8 hours of a revenge show, and got no revenge. They made Fowler an unbearable character whose scenes were torturous to sit through, and then denied the audience the chance to see the end of him, or the story.

After learning she needed to rely on her friends, it ends with Mizu just abandoning them, I guess? And heading for England, which sounds uninteresting.

There were a lot of ways to end the storyline, but “heroine takes the lying bad guy at his word and travels with him” was not it.

I didn’t love the show but it looked amazing and had some fantastic sequences. The flashback episode with her past was excellent. But the ending felt like a cheap trick to get people to keep watching season 2, and went against a lot of the character growth to that point.

Pretty much how I felt too

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Meet Mizu

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
CUTIE.
Is she flame point or full white? Deaf?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ishamael posted:

And heading for England

Which is one hell of a journey from Japan. Really, there's no easy route for a young woman pretending to be a man with a man in a cage who wants to kill her father to even get there.

Will she go across the Pacific and the Americas to cross the Atlantic to land in England?

Or will she cross the Sea of Japan and then trek 12,000km across a dozen countries?

Or will she go around the Cape of Good Hope, which avoids dragging half a tonne of mad Irishman in a cage across land, but is almost 27,000km.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What if the second season is “Around the world to murder in 80 120 300 days”

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

There were samurai in New Spain around this time so I'm assuming we get to enjoy some Spanish colonialism on the way to England.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Yeah, being Ainu at the time wouldn't be GOOD, I just thought that would be people's assumption in the historical time period given the incredible isolationism.

I thought that fell under the same mantle as everyone seeing Mizu as male. There is absolutely no way an Ainu (or woman) can be a samurai, so the only logical explanation is that Mizu is a demon/man.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

CUTIE.
Is she flame point or full white? Deaf?

Pure white and not deaf, I was lucky to adopt her and her brother a few days before xmas. She is completely fearless

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Warbird posted:

What if the second season is “Around the world to murder in 80 120 300 days”

This reminds me of posters wanting the entire first episode of that book of boba fett show to be about how he escaped from the sarlacc pit.

S02E01 should open with Mizu stepping off a boat on the thames into London, out of the frying pan and into the fire, hitting the ground running blade-first into immense culture shock.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Turpitude posted:

Pure white and not deaf, I was lucky to adopt her and her brother a few days before xmas. She is completely fearless

Good on you for adopting siblings! :3:

Mizu in London is where I wanna be. I hope she makes a couple of English friends so she can start to disassemble the idea that she's literally part monster. But also 17th century London was gnarly as hell and I look forward to seeing more slavish regard to period setting and costume.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Das Boo posted:

Good on you for adopting siblings! :3:

Mizu in London is where I wanna be. I hope she makes a couple of English friends so she can start to disassemble the idea that she's literally part monster. But also 17th century London was gnarly as hell and I look forward to seeing more slavish regard to period setting and costume.

If she loses her concept of self-as-monster, will she still have anime sword superpowers?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Madurai posted:

If she loses her concept of self-as-monster, will she still have anime sword superpowers?

It'll be like the Scott Pilgrim movie where learning that about herself gives her even more superpowers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

It'll be like the Scott Pilgrim movie where learning that about herself gives her even more superpowers.

MIZU FOWLER(?)
- Lost THE POWER OF INTERNAL RACISM!
+ Gained THE POWER OF EXTERNAL RACISM!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Binged through this over the holidays, really enjoyed it. I'll never look at a Kabuki mask the same way again.

Also, I want a Kahhori/Mizu match up.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ninurta posted:

Binged through this over the holidays, really enjoyed it. I'll never look at a Kabuki mask the same way again.

Also, I want a Kahhori/Mizu match up.

only if at the end they kiss

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I guess if anyone here's jonesing for more feudal Japan shenanigans while we wait for Season 2, then go watch Shōgun, like right loving now. It's really good.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I guess if anyone here's jonesing for more feudal Japan shenanigans while we wait for Season 2, then go watch Shōgun, like right loving now. It's really good.

I have bad feelings left over from the 1970s version. Is it good enough to overcome those?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yes, definitely.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

roomtone posted:

Apart from the first couple, I think my favourite episode was probably the one with the marriage backstory. I didn't see it coming and I think the betrayal was quite affecting, and typically disappointing. That her husband liked her being a fighter, but the second he realised she was better than him, he turned her in.

Did he though? For one thing she wasn't just a better fighter than him, she reveled in combat in a way that he was uncomfortable with, pushed his boundaries and insulted him for being uncomfortable with a naked blade duel, and kissed him with a sword to his throat. I'm not saying that justifies his response - using the word "monster" was a cruel lashing out, and giving away her horse even more so - just that they both hosed up there.

For another, the show very intentionally leaves it unclear whether it was the "mother" or the husband who turned her in.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Did he though? For one thing she wasn't just a better fighter than him, she reveled in combat in a way that he was uncomfortable with, pushed his boundaries and insulted him for being uncomfortable with a naked blade duel, and kissed him with a sword to his throat. I'm not saying that justifies his response - using the word "monster" was a cruel lashing out, and giving away her horse even more so - just that they both hosed up there.

For another, the show very intentionally leaves it unclear whether it was the "mother" or the husband who turned her in.

Yeah, the moment her husband turns on her is when she pushes it too far and it seems like not only is she going to kill him, but she's enjoying the idea of possibly casually killing him even as he's going "okay, knock it off!" Prior to that, he very much enjoyed the fact that she was a competent warrior.

B Squad Leader
Nov 1, 2009

Quite honestly, that's still a few years off. But they might just fudge the dates a bit.
Alternatively they get to visit Constantinople in the meantime.

This would actually make a ton of sense; Mizu and Fowler get pirated halfway to London and forced to work together to survive, and any side character could wander down the Silk Road and reunite en route to a Season 3 in England

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Jesus christ, I really slept on this. I just assumed it was a generic sword boner anime show so I never bothered watching it until I caught the Netflix preview autoplaying randomly. It's fuckin gooooood.

I do think the early episodes tend to be stronger than the later episodes, I appreciated the smaller scale and more grounded stakes before it really went maximum invincible action hero mode. Still great throughout.