Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

roomtone posted:

Apart from the first couple, I think my favourite episode was probably the one with the marriage backstory. I didn't see it coming and I think the betrayal was quite affecting, and typically disappointing. That her husband liked her being a fighter, but the second he realised she was better than him, he turned her in.

Related, I also like how the story has Mizu be attracted to men. Like, she falls in love. I think I was expecting her to be very aloof with all that. She makes a comment about how men go to brothels to be weak, etc, and that attitude feels typical of this kind of character to me, but they didn't go that way and I think her having these romantic weaknesses makes her a lot more sympathetic.

As for Abijah, I think they might've made him too evil if they want to keep him around for entertainment value, which he does have. But it's like, he has the bones of dead children under his castle and makes a comment how Mizu's bones 'break like a woman's', implying he's broken enough bones of men and women to know the difference. I don't really buy that she wouldn't have just killed him after getting the names and location, which he gave up pretty quickly.

Although, I saw someone make the point that she won't speak a word of English and Abijah might be useful for that, but it's a high price to pay for a translator. There would be at least a few others. Plus the logistics...she can't let him free cos he'll just attack her and run off. So she'll still need to wander around London alone and bring everyone she wants to talk to back to where ever she's holding him, somehow.

I'll be back for S2 cos this was mostly well written, and whatever complaints I have about the plot lose out to strong scene level writing which this has. I just feel like it could've easily been wrapped up completely in the eight episodes, and the additional 2 white men don't add much to the story except length.

Within the context of the story there probably are not many others. Dude was basically the only foreign person in Japan for a significant period of time, it is entirely possible that there is nobody else on Earth as fluent as him in both English and Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Having just rewatched episode 2, uh here's a bit of a delicate question. Is binding as painful/injurious as depicted? I know it obviously varies by person, but in Mizu's case it looked like it was showing her bleeding through her clothes while working at the forge, and having to keep soaking in seawater to soothe what looked like heinously red/chafing skin. That part seems pretty self-evident, but is there permanent physical change that can occur from that? From stuff like Yentl I had always imagined it as being a more or less cosmetic/temporary thing you could do under the clothes as needed for one occasion or another, and figured changing chest size through pressure over time was not really a thing, just as the dumb facebook memes about ham sandwiches are not a thing. I am extremely unfamiliar with how breasts work

It is extremely not good for you. It can damage your skin, lungs, ribs, mess up your back, cause permanent damage, and in general it is an extremely painful thing. In modern day you can specialized custom-fit binders that reduce the risks but even then it's more of a thing where you only wear for ~8 hours a day or you get specialized binders made for exercise. It isn't something you do casually for long periods of time and if you intend to then you generally need some good advanced planning to avoid significant issues.

Someone like Mizu who is not really going to be getting custom-fitted binders and who is having ridiculous anime sword fights is going to be in basically neat-constant agony.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My assumption is that the sword is going to end up being the reason for Ringo (and maybe Taigen) to go overseas so they can deliver it to Mizu in time for her kickin' rad fight against a chaingun or something.