Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Oh hell yes! Season 2 confirmed! Thanks for the info.
This show is phenomenal and I made like 5 posts about in other threads. About time someone made a thread. Thanks Crow this looks really good.

Darth Walrus posted:

One important thing is that Fowler's been in Japan for long enough that he missed out on one of the darkest periods in Anglo-Irish history. Even considering his traumatic childhood in the Nine Years' War, he's got a horrible surprise waiting for him when he gets back home, which may end up giving him an actual reason to work with our resident onryo.
Oh poo poo. I knew of that guy but didn't know that it happened around the time the series is set
They really chose a tumultuous time in history to set this show.

Also, gently caress the British of that era.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

1stGear posted:

Interested to see if the writers can resist the temptation to have the second season also end in a city-engulfing fire. Lord knows I would have a hard time doing so.

Quite honestly, that's still a few years off. But they might just fudge the dates a bit.
Alternatively they get to visit Constantinople in the meantime.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 12, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

But they might just fudge the dates a bit.

Thinking about this a bit more, I'd actually doubt this. They went out of their way and specifically established the current date in the title of the last episode. And the London Fire famously happened specifically in 1666. Like, that's actually a relevant date and it would have made a different impact a few years earlier.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Madurai posted:

I fully hope for an entire episode of season 2 which is just titled "Kaigen Finds Out."

"Wait Mizu is a woman?" *Steals a nearby fishing boat and loving rows to Britain.*

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
This is a era where woman were literally forbidden from travelling alone, like that basket maker in Kyoto who's husband died. Nobody even considers the possibility. They think her being an actual Onyo is more likely than that and don't even entertain the idea.
I feel like Fowler should have figured out sooner, but they didn't actually spent much quality time up to that point.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Probably relatedly, the entire premise/title of the show is alien to me because I don't think I have ever in my life noticed what color someone's eyes are unless I was specifically looking and trying to commit it to memory. I have no idea what color eyes my parents or brother have, or anyone I work or live with. If someone gave me an eye-color pop quiz I would be guessing 100% of the time. It's always made a huge deal of in fiction, but in my own experience it is just a total blind spot (lol). I doubt I would ever have noticed Mizu's eyes and would only take particular note of her because of her cool 17th century oakleys
I've certainly seen some actresses where I was impressed how deep the color of their eyes were. Eyes are pretty and I notice them.
I also think it is a bit different if it was something never seen before. Blue eyes which are a bit rounder are just not a thing around there. It's basically like seeing a person who has wide purple eyes, which apparently are a really rare thing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Sorry to derail it further, but how does it look? Are there vertical stripes or a gradual change? Also does it go from up to down or from inside to outside?
Sounds cool either way.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Taear posted:

Since Fowler has a Norn accent I assumed he was from there and probably won't care what happens to Catholics in Ireland.

Honestly, I don't think more than like five million people in the world can even tell the difference. Probably way less back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Taear posted:

Are you kidding me

And it doesn't matter if you can tell the difference it's about who he will be and what that means for the character

Fair enough, but I really think you're overestimating people's ability to discern European English accents.