Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One important thing is that Fowler's been in Japan for long enough that he missed out on one of the darkest periods in Anglo-Irish history. Even considering his traumatic childhood in the Nine Years' War, he's got a horrible surprise waiting for him when he gets back home, which may end up giving him an actual reason to work with our resident onryo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

roomtone posted:

also, is there any real historical context for the fire of 1657 in edo? I see that it's real so I was wondered if Abijah was real (doesn't seem so) or at least based on any real historical figures? What about the shogun and lords in the show, were they real names?

We know that this is an alternate history on a certain level because the clan name of the real-world shogunate was Tokugawa for all four hundred years, even before we get into a Western-backed coup attempt getting most of them killed in this show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that while Mizu is on a quest for revenge, she's also on a quest for knowledge. She's desperate to understand who and what she is and what that means, and that's the main reason Fowler's still alive. As soon as he dropped that line about her real mother, he had her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warbird posted:

I’d have to go read up on the timelines on the matter but there is a decent chance our favorite murder lady rolls up in London to find some mixed folk like herself and no one much giving a poo poo. The East India Company had been doing their thing for half a century when our story starts. Hell, the Silk Road had been rolling right along for a goddamn millennium and a half by the time our story takes place.

It would be endlessly amusing to have Mizu meet her Indian/Chinese/African/[Most anything works here, the Brits goddamned loved what they did] counterpart with blue eyes and get told “bitch you ain’t poo poo” in some phrasing or the other.

Apart from the whole hideous Irish business, the Commonwealth was chiefly preoccupied with the Caribbean a the time this story is set thanks to Cromwell's Western Design and the resultant Anglo-Spanish War. Chance for Mizu to hang out with Jamaicans who have complicated relationships with England.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Also acceptable: Glass Eye Samurai

Pretty sure that's just Zatoichi.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Taear posted:

Since Fowler has a Norn accent I assumed he was from there and probably won't care what happens to Catholics in Ireland.
I don't expect them to go down that route (that someone mentioned before)

However, I REALLY hope they explore that in series 2 that'd be absolutely incredible

Fowler ate his sister as a starving child during the Nine Years' War, which laid the way for the (genocidal) Protestant colonisation that created the enclave we now think of as 'Northern Ireland'. He wouldn't have any reason to identify with the English settlers who took over his home during his lifetime. Having an Ulster accent had extremely different implications in the 17th century.

As for English gender relations, the country was then under the control of a religious-fundamentalist military dictatorship, and Mizu certainly isn't your typical good Puritan woman...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As I've said, I think Mizu as the Terminator is chiefly a way of showing how her hate is making her something more than human. She's approaching being a genuine onryo. The problem is that her unlikely strength and durability is also accompanied by an unlikely capacity for indiscriminate destruction, as shown when at the height of her powers (again, maybe literal, maybe not), her quest for revenge accidentally consumes an entire city in fire.