Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that while Mizu is on a quest for revenge, she's also on a quest for knowledge. She's desperate to understand who and what she is and what that means, and that's the main reason Fowler's still alive. As soon as he dropped that line about her real mother, he had her.

Kudos to whoever in the previous thread predicted that Mizu's mother wasn't actually her mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Data Graham posted:

The first episode has a certain itchy quality to it where Mizu being a woman hasn’t been revealed yet, and it feels like the story/acting is tiptoeing around potential tells a lot. There are good intentional bits like the encounter at the brothel, but (and I don’t want to step in it here) either you as a viewer suspect and are expecting the reveal, or you as a viewer suspect and are getting taken out of it by her voice. I showed it to someone who might not have been real on board with that twist and I was silently willing him not to make some snide comment until “peaches”

I very much like how both the madam and Eiji’s dialogue knowingly danced around it though. I thought that was skillful without giving the game away to a less-alert viewer.

I fully hope for an entire episode of season 2 which is just titled "Kaigen Finds Out."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Das Boo posted:

Good on you for adopting siblings! :3:

Mizu in London is where I wanna be. I hope she makes a couple of English friends so she can start to disassemble the idea that she's literally part monster. But also 17th century London was gnarly as hell and I look forward to seeing more slavish regard to period setting and costume.

If she loses her concept of self-as-monster, will she still have anime sword superpowers?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I guess if anyone here's jonesing for more feudal Japan shenanigans while we wait for Season 2, then go watch Shōgun, like right loving now. It's really good.

I have bad feelings left over from the 1970s version. Is it good enough to overcome those?