Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blue Eye Samurai is an animated action adventure show produced by Netflix and animation studio Blue Spirit. Created by the husband and wife team of Michael Green and Amber Noizumi, the show follows the mixed race swordswoman Mizu on a quest to hunt down and kill the only four white men remaining in Japan at the height of the Sakoku or "locked country" era of the Tokugawa Shogunate, one of whom she believes to be her father.

CHARACTERS

Mizu (Maya Erskine, PEN15, Mr. & Mrs. Smith)
A wandering swordswoman traveling Japan posing as a man on a quest for revenge. A victim of intense societal prejudice against outsiders, her blue eyes stigmatize her to others as a "demon", a half-breed monster child of the "white devils". Driven by her self-hatred, she seeks the men who may have sired her and will not rest until all four of her possible fathers are dead.

Ringo (Masi Oka, Heroes, Hawaii Five-0)
A cheerful simpleton born without hands, much like Mizu, he is an outcast who has found a way to live a life in a cruel land that cares little for him. After a chance meeting with Mizu, he sets out to become her apprentice and companion on her quest, whether she wants him to be or not.

Taigen (Darren Barnet, Never Have I Ever, Samurai Rabbit: The Usagi Chronicles)
An up-and-coming samurai in the service of the Lord of Kyoto. He is proud, stubborn, and bound by honor. Undefeated in battle, Mizu's quest puts him on a collision course with her, and to their mutual surprise, they share a curious common history.

Akemi (Brenda Song, Amphibia, Dollface)
Daughter of the Daimyo of Kyoto. Akemi has lived her whole life in a gilded cage, waiting for her father to marry her off to a worthy suitor, whether she wants it or not. She has her heart set on marrying Taigen, but her father sees an alliance with the Shogun in Edo in their future. When Taigen sets out after Mizu, Akemi sets out after him, heedless of the dangers that might await her beyond the castle walls.

Master Eiji (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Mortal Kombat, The Man in the High Castle)
Mizu's swordfather, a blind swordsmith whose blades are sought after all across Japan. He took Mizu in as a child and raised her a son, a daughter, and an apprentice. Eiji is perhaps the one person in the world that Mizu truly cares for unconditionally.

Madam Kaji (Ming-Na Wen, Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D., The Book of Boba Fett)
The madam of a brothel in Mihonoseki who crosses paths with our heroes several times. She tasks Mizu with saving one of her girls who has been taken hostage by the local crime lord in exchange for information on one of her targets.

Seki (George Takei, Star Trek, The Terror)
Akemi's tutor and one of her father's most trusted retainers. He only wants what's best for Akemi, even if it might not be what will make her happy in the moment. A wise and experienced man, he is full of many surprises.

Heiji Shindo (Randal Park, Fresh Off The Boat, The Interview)
A scheming nobleman in the Shogun's court. He seeks to overthrow the Shogun and claim control of Japan for himself, and to do so he has aligned himself with the foreigner Abijah Fowler, who has promised him a vast cache of weapons and men to complete his goal.

Abijah Fowler (Kenneth Branagh, Murder on the Orient Express, Hamlet)
An Irish arms dealer living in secret inside Heiji Shindo's fortress at sea. Permitted to set foot on Japanese soil only once a year, Fowler has been biding his time, preparing to bring Shindo's plot against the Shogun to fruition. As one of the only four white men in Japan at the time of Mizu's birth, he is the primary target of her assassination quest, and could very well be her father.

WHY SHOULD I WATCH THIS SHOW?

Well for starters, it's beautifully animated, incredibly well written, and choreographed like a classic samurai film on steroids by way of a traditional Kabuki play with a splash of Bunraku puppetry for good measure. It also has an incredible soundtrack and absolutely stacked cast including George Takei, Ming-Na Wen, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, and Kenneth loving Branagh among many others. Blue Eye Samurai is just one of those "holy poo poo, just watch this show" type of shows, and there is a reason--a whole bunch of reasons, honestly--why it's on a lot of people's Top 10 lists for best show of 2023. Watch these trailers and see for yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ1yQn17lbEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ciOn_4XFfEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsaBrbE1Yrc

Honestly, the real reason you should watch it is to see the scene this rendition of For Whom The Bell Tolls plays over:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUaU5d9xERE

You sold on it yet?

WHERE TO WATCH

Season 1 of Blue Eye Samurai is currently available on Netflix. Season 2 has been recently greenlit and is coming... eventually. We don't really know.

The first episode is also on YouTube in its entirety for free on Netflix's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm73ma6Ibcs

As is a special edition of Episode 6, "All Evil Deeds and Angry Words" (massive spoilers, obviously):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za2Z_JRxCuk

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Mizu and Abijah's Trans-Continental Maybe-Daddy-Daughter Arson Spree

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

"Wait Mizu is a woman?" *Steals a nearby fishing boat and loving rows to Britain.*

"Get in the loving boat, Ringo, we're going to London!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Das Boo posted:

I went in blind and her first line made me double take while looking at the screen, lol.

My in-universe excuse is that a woman being a skilled swordsman is so outside the realm of possibility that everyone's just like, "Of course that's a dude."

Even though female samurai, or samurai-equivilant warriors were a thing in Japan all throughout its history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna-musha

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Rainbow Eye Samurai

Also acceptable: Glass Eye Samurai

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Ringo is clearly going to take the sumo world by storm.

Eiji is going to forge him a pair of steel fists.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Am I correct in reading that scene as Eiji noticing her trouble keeping pace and that he's already clued into her being female by the time she leaves?

Eiji wouldn't give a gently caress. He loves all his annoying children.

Data Graham posted:

I was sure he knew she was female by the time she left through his "you came to me as a foolish boy, and if you leave now it'll be as a foolish man" line and the pointed way he said it, cutting off her "I have another secret"

As to when he first noticed, I hadn't thought about it but the difficulty working the bellows would be a good candidate. She's fidgeting to hide her bindings in that scene even though he's blind.

Yeah, that's my read. Eiji's known for a long while, and he does not give a single poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

It'll be like the Scott Pilgrim movie where learning that about herself gives her even more superpowers.

MIZU FOWLER(?)
- Lost THE POWER OF INTERNAL RACISM!
+ Gained THE POWER OF EXTERNAL RACISM!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I guess if anyone here's jonesing for more feudal Japan shenanigans while we wait for Season 2, then go watch Shōgun, like right loving now. It's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Did he though? For one thing she wasn't just a better fighter than him, she reveled in combat in a way that he was uncomfortable with, pushed his boundaries and insulted him for being uncomfortable with a naked blade duel, and kissed him with a sword to his throat. I'm not saying that justifies his response - using the word "monster" was a cruel lashing out, and giving away her horse even more so - just that they both hosed up there.

For another, the show very intentionally leaves it unclear whether it was the "mother" or the husband who turned her in.

Yeah, the moment her husband turns on her is when she pushes it too far and it seems like not only is she going to kill him, but she's enjoying the idea of possibly casually killing him even as he's going "okay, knock it off!" Prior to that, he very much enjoyed the fact that she was a competent warrior.