Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Apart from the first couple, I think my favourite episode was probably the one with the marriage backstory. I didn't see it coming and I think the betrayal was quite affecting, and typically disappointing. That her husband liked her being a fighter, but the second he realised she was better than him, he turned her in.

Related, I also like how the story has Mizu be attracted to men. Like, she falls in love. I think I was expecting her to be very aloof with all that. She makes a comment about how men go to brothels to be weak, etc, and that attitude feels typical of this kind of character to me, but they didn't go that way and I think her having these romantic weaknesses makes her a lot more sympathetic.

As for Abijah, I think they might've made him too evil if they want to keep him around for entertainment value, which he does have. But it's like, he has the bones of dead children under his castle and makes a comment how Mizu's bones 'break like a woman's', implying he's broken enough bones of men and women to know the difference. I don't really buy that she wouldn't have just killed him after getting the names and location, which he gave up pretty quickly.

Although, I saw someone make the point that she won't speak a word of English and Abijah might be useful for that, but it's a high price to pay for a translator. There would be at least a few others. Plus the logistics...she can't let him free cos he'll just attack her and run off. So she'll still need to wander around London alone and bring everyone she wants to talk to back to where ever she's holding him, somehow.

I'll be back for S2 cos this was mostly well written, and whatever complaints I have about the plot lose out to strong scene level writing which this has. I just feel like it could've easily been wrapped up completely in the eight episodes, and the additional 2 white men don't add much to the story except length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

also, is there any real historical context for the fire of 1657 in edo? I see that it's real so I was wondered if Abijah was real (doesn't seem so) or at least based on any real historical figures? What about the shogun and lords in the show, were they real names?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

the bit where taigen gets a hard on while sparring with mizu and then going 'uhhhh hurr hurr must be missing my gf lol right bro? right?!'

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Ishamael posted:

This show had a lot of highlights, but I was very disappointed by the ending.

(Final episode spoilers) I watched 8 hours of a revenge show, and got no revenge. They made Fowler an unbearable character whose scenes were torturous to sit through, and then denied the audience the chance to see the end of him, or the story.

After learning she needed to rely on her friends, it ends with Mizu just abandoning them, I guess? And heading for England, which sounds uninteresting.

There were a lot of ways to end the storyline, but “heroine takes the lying bad guy at his word and travels with him” was not it.

I didn’t love the show but it looked amazing and had some fantastic sequences. The flashback episode with her past was excellent. But the ending felt like a cheap trick to get people to keep watching season 2, and went against a lot of the character growth to that point.

Pretty much how I felt too