Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I didn't think that we were ever supposed to take Mizu as being male. Just the characters in the show are, because (as mentioned) women doing these things is so uncommon right now that they're going "this person must be a man"

Thinking of it as a way for the show to show us how different this setting is in just another way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Since Fowler has a Norn accent I assumed he was from there and probably won't care what happens to Catholics in Ireland.
I don't expect them to go down that route (that someone mentioned before)

However, I REALLY hope they explore that in series 2 that'd be absolutely incredible

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, I don't think more than like five million people in the world can even tell the difference. Probably way less back then.

Are you kidding me

And it doesn't matter if you can tell the difference it's about who he will be and what that means for the character

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Fowler ate his sister as a starving child during the Nine Years' War, which laid the way for the (genocidal) Protestant colonisation that created the enclave we now think of as 'Northern Ireland'. He wouldn't have any reason to identify with the English settlers who took over his home during his lifetime. Having an Ulster accent had extremely different implications in the 17th century.

He clearly sees himself as part of the Empire though from what he says and does
I guess we don't know WHERE in Ulster he's from

cant cook creole bream posted:

Fair enough, but I really think you're overestimating people's ability to discern European English accents.

People here would, but like I say it doesn't really matter if you know what accents are like, americans are p.rubbish at it usually