Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The little town of Lewisburg was rocked by scandal. A young boy who had never done anyone any harm in his life, who had just gone out to the local forest like he always had, went missing and was later found dead. His wrists were tied together and he had been shot in the head, execution-style, but the crime scene was otherwise clean as a whistle. The authorities also reported localized atmospheric interference as being the culprit for only local landlines being able to call each other (predicted by the local weatherman to end in about three months, at which point everyone would be able to call numbers in other towns/states/etc). The town had a few characters to its name it hoped would help understand these mysteries, and was fiercely interconnected the way many, many other small towns even today are, but it was anyone's guess if that would be enough to catch whoever was behind all of this...

Welcome to Telephone Mafia! This is another roles-light open setup game this time ruthlessly stolen from kindly run and donated by Amnistar here. I won't make you click that link to understand the setup though, so here are the deets:

quote:

13 total players

Scum:
Interceptor: Each Night you can select someone, you will receive any messages they would have received.
Godfather: Any Investigation Results about you will come back as town
Goon: Vanilla, no special rules

Town:
1-shot Doctor: Each Night you can select 1 person, if they are the target of the nightkill it is prevented.
If you prevent the night kill, you become vanilla town.
Cop Variant: Each Night you can select someone and above or below.
That person will receive a message with the investigative alignment of the person above or below in the telephone circle (but will not be told who was investigated).
You cannot select yourself.
Watcher Variant: Each Night you can select someone and above or below.
That person will receive a message with the name of any player that visited the player above or below them in the masonry list, without being told which..
You cannot select yourself.
Miller Variant: Any Investigation Results of players adjacent to you in the telphone tree will come back as guilty.
Your own results will not be impacted."
Vanilla x6 No special rules

If Godfather/Miller mechanics conflict, Miller Mechanics take precedence (guilty results will be given)

Players will be sorted into a random list
Everyone will be put into an unconfirmed mason with the players above and below of them in the randomized list
All Masonries will be listed in Discord as UpperPlayer/LowerPlayer as the name of the discord channel
The players at the top and bottom of the list will also be in a masonry with each other, with the player at the bottom of the list being the Upper Neighbor of the player at the top of the list.
When a player dies, their upper and lower neighbor will form a new unconfirmed masonry, keeping the circle intact.

When submitting the NK the scum can also attempt to guess who their target is in a masonry with. If they are correct, the NK will be unblockable and unwatchable
If incorrect, the scum kill will instead fail.

Sample PM role sections:

quote:

You are XXX YYY, SCUM-ALIGNED INTERCEPTOR. Every night you can select a target and ensure any messages they would have normally received end up in your hands instead. You win when you are in control of the vote or nothing can prevent you from obtaining it. Fakeclaim, should you choose to use one, is below:

quote:

You are XXX YYY, SCUM-ALIGNED GODFATHER. Any investigation results about you will come back as Town-aligned. You win when you are in control of the vote or nothing can prevent you from obtaining it. Fakeclaim, should you choose to use one, is below:

quote:

You are XXX YYY, SCUM-ALIGNED GOON. You have no powers besides your vote. You win when you are in control of the vote or nothing can prevent you from obtaining it. Fakeclaim, should you choose to use one, is below:

quote:

You are XXX YYY, TOWN-ALIGNED DOCTOR (1 SUCCESSFUL SHOT). You can choose a target at night to attempt to prevent the nightkill. If you do not prevent the nightkill, you may try again as many times as you like, but upon successful prevention of the nightkill you will become vanilla town. You win when all threats to town are removed from the game.

quote:

You are XXX YYY, TOWN-ALIGNED COP VARIANT. Every night, you can pick a target and ABOVE or BELOW (i.e. ##investigate ABOVE Amnistar). Your target will be given a message about the investigative alignment of the player above or below them in the masonry list, without being told which (i.e. "During the night, you determined either IggyMeen or Shellception is TOWN-ALIGNED" would be received by Amnistar even though hypothetically your investigation landed on Shellception, who was above Amnistar in the masonry list, while IggyMeen was below Amnistar in the masonry list). You cannot target yourself. You win when all threats to town are removed from the game.

quote:

You are XXX YYY, TOWN-ALIGNED WATCHER VARIANT. Each night, you can choose a target and ABOVE or BELOW (i.e. ##watch ABOVE Amnistar). Your target will be given a message about any and all players who visited the player above or below them in the masonry list, without being told which (i.e. "During the night, you noticed that Amnistar and lumpen visited either IggyMeen or Shellception" would be received by Amnistar even though hypothetically you successfully targeted Shellception, who was above Amnistar in the masonry list, while IggyMeen was below Amnistar in the masonry list). You cannot target yourself. You win when all threats to town are removed from the game.

quote:

You are XXX YYY, TOWN-ALIGNED MILLER VARIANT. Any investigative results on players above and below you in the telephone circle will come back as SCUM-ALIGNED. Your own results will not be affected. You win when all threats to town are removed from the game.

quote:

You are XXX YYY, TOWN-ALIGNED VANILLA. You have no powers besides your vote. You win when all threats to town are removed from the game.

I got a bit inspired so there's a fair bit of flavor for people, unlike in the original game, and also I'm gonna stick with the usual 10 posts per day lurker restriction over the more lenient 5 posts a game day. Standard rules below:

Rule 0, the important one that overrules all other rules: First and foremost, we are here to have fun and enjoy ourselves. Please make sure that at all times you put your own sanity and mental well-being first. If at any point you feel like you're having a bad time, like someone's taking things too far or you just need someone to talk to, please contact your mods or one of our many community volunteers. The following users have been suggested as points of contact if you do not feel you can reach out to me: The Traditional Games forum moderators, Leperflesh and Antivehicular; and Mafia regulars VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, Cloacamazing!, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Opopanax, Sandwolf and Shellception.

1. General mafia rules apply. If you are playing, do NOT discuss the game outside the thread or authorized OOT channels!

2. Please don't lurk. The lurker threshold will be 10 posts per game day, with the requisite being halved for hammers that happen at 12h to deadline or earlier, and eliminated if 24h to deadline or earlier. Communication is key - if something important is keeping you from posting and I can accommodate it, tell us! First time is a warning, second one is a modkill.

3. Do not edit your posts. If there is a big reason you need to do so, tell us first.

4. Do not directly quote private communications. Copying and pasting any kind of OOT comms into thread is not allowed. Neither is copying and pasting any kind of mod communication, including your PM, either in thread or in any possible OOT communication channels. This rule will be enforced, and infringing it will result in a modkill.

5. Do not fake day actions. If you have been affected by a day action, please wait for it to resolve before posting.

6. Don't be an rear end to people. You don't have to be all nice and friendly all the time, but if things get too heated, please disconnect, calm down and come back later. Again, mod team is here to ensure everyone has fun, but I'd particularly not like needing to tell posters to chill. Be mindful of the person at the other side of the screen!

7. There are no bastard mod mechanics here, not even ones I've joked about, not even ones I might in the dead of night wake up to in hysterics over. No cults, no alignment changes, no jesters, etc.

8. Days will be 36-48 hours long, depending on the usual of week/weekend landings and my schedule. Hammers are by majority as usual.

9. Everything game-wise will be managed or accessed through Discord; please join here so that you can get settled in and set up.

Result language notes (shamelessly repeated from prior games):

1. A result that successfully targets will yield the result. "You successfully x your target"
2. A result that does not successfully target will yield the result. "Your action fails."
3. If a player name is ever mentioned as part of a result other than those that require it, this is a mod error.
4. A "successful" target is defined as an ability resolving on someone. This does not have to be the intended target, so a redirected result will yield the same language as a result that has not been redirected.
5. You will be informed if there are any special conditions that may cause your action to fail that you could not reasonably guess in advance in your role PM. As such, please read your role PM thoroughly and ask questions liberally in your confessional; I refuse to be held responsible for any misplays you make because you didn't make sure you understood how your role works! If you are not sure what might be considered reasonably guessable in advance, I highly recommend reading this link and asking any other questions you may have as needed.

Signups:
  1. Cloacamazing! (she/her)
  2. CubicalSucrose
  3. EGalz18 (She/Her)
  4. Hal Incandenza (he/him/hal)
  5. ilmucche
  6. Johnny Keats
  7. JosefStalinator
  8. ObamaAkbar. (He/him)
  9. PhantomMuzzles (She/Her)
  10. Potato Salad
  11. Rhymes With Clue
  12. Tired Moritz
  13. trajanmax

Observers:

Replacements:

Timeline/Important Posts:

D1 opens!
D1 ends in the execution of Tired Moritz, TOWN-ALIGNED VANILLA.
N1 ends in the death of trajanmax, TOWN-ALIGNED WATCHER VARIANT.
D2 ends in the execution of PhantomMuzzles, TOWN-ALIGNED VANILLA.
N2 ends in the death of JosefStalinator, TOWN-ALIGNED MILLER VARIANT.
D3 ends in the execution of CubicalSucrose, SCUM-ALIGNED INTERCEPTOR.
N3 ends in the death of Potato Salad, TOWN-ALIGNED DOCTOR (1 SUCCESSFUL SHOT).
D4 ends in the execution of ilmucche, SCUM-ALIGNED GOON.

Discord link HERE. 99% setup details HERE.

WE ARE FILLED. Once I have y'all in Discord I'll get D1 open the next day.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, bananaphone!

EGalz18
Aug 5, 2023

I LOVE WORDS. THAT'S ALL.
Ahoy, ahoy!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVBsypHzF3U

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Oh I was going to take a mafia break but this was fun last time we did this

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Okay yeah

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Gosh I really shouldn't play in *every* game....

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've got this feeling, it's so a-peel-ing,

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Oh no, it痴 my arch-nemesis potato salad.

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well, that's my burden, I guess.
Sign me up!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I play

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Sure

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
Blello?! Sure hope my mason partners like dog pics

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

PhantomMuzzles posted:

Blello?! Sure hope my mason partners like dog pics

And being horribly betrayed

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

Hal Incandenza posted:

And being horribly betrayed

Hey there were probably at least a million universes where I didn't lie to you

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Signing up for the Toot 'N Tell Verbal Intercourse game, if there's still room.

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
I think we should play Telestrations during this game

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I will play. It sounds complicated but I look forward to shitposting with my mason friends

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wait sandwolf isn't in this game. How am I going to vote sandwolf

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Make me Sainz buddies with merkmucche and betrayal pals with PMuzz

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'll join the discord tomorrow when I'm on a computer

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The lake house has bad internet right now

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Make me Sainz buddies with merkmucche and betrayal pals with PMuzz

Nope I'll never betray you again. I've learned my lesson and you can trust me now 😇

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well, that's my burden, I guess.
Yay! This game may start soon!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Game's full! Once I have all of you seated in Discord I'll get the first day rolling pretty much ASAP.

e: ilmucche, I see you'll join tomorrow; however I don't see Potato Salad in the server. Please join when you can so I can get you seated and comfy with your role.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 19, 2023

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

It looks like it's another beautiful day in the neighborhood, but it's not bringing anybody much cheer given that kid's murder. The town's been buzzing about it all last night; time to see what comes of it today.

Votefinder is below; deadline in 2 days!

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (13): Cloacamazing!, CubicalSucrose, EGalz18, Hal Incandenza, ilmucche, Johnny Keats, JosefStalinator, ObamaAkbar., PhantomMuzzles, Potato Salad, Rhymes With Clue, Tired Moritz, trajanmax

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is December 22nd, 2023 at 4 p.m. CST -- that's in about 2 days.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35cGU379zFo

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Ahoy hoy!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Who scum

*sighs*

whats the point anyway

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I am lost without a sandwolf to vote for

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

which lewisburg are we in there are like 7 in the united states alone

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Is there a secret cabal voting bloc already that I won't find out about until the end of the game in post similar to Quantumafia?

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

Who scum

*sighs*

whats the point anyway

I owe you one this game.

ilmucche posted:

I am lost without a sandwolf to vote for

After the game I just played with my dear old friend Sandwolf I知 going to policy vote him every game from now on.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sweet jesus I have no clue how this works lol

I'll figure it out

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

trajanmax posted:

I owe you one this game.

After the game I just played with my dear old friend Sandwolf I知 going to policy vote him every game from now on.

the universe is cruel, no one owes anyone anything

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

trajanmax posted:

this is my strategy in every game. the only reason i'm not voting sandwolf right now is because i think that counts as faking a day action

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

sweet jesus I have no clue how this works lol

I'll figure it out

I知 so glad I知 not the only one.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

##Vote Josef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

Johnny Keats posted:

##Vote Josef

I should policy vote you because I致e learned you are dangerous as scum!