Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Yeah, Respin is the one thing that I hope to see in hacks, as far as accessibility or convenience features go. Stuff like auto morphing (Redesign Axeil Edition is the one hack that comes to mind that has this), while nice, I can take it or leave it. Respin is the one feature that I’d rather not do without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

If I had a nickel for every time a thumbnail had Samus on an elevator surrounded by eyes,

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think Super Duper Metroid makes you fight the Golden Torizo under magma which I thought was a neat way to make it interesting. I do feel like in general bosses are the weak points in Super Metroid hacks. If you're playing one you probably know most of the tricks and the best ways to kill bosses so a lot of hackers overcorrect and make them harder to an un-fun degree. I think making them into a glorified speed bump or unchanged is the better way to go about it. It's the rare hack I felt made the bosses better. But more importantly...

What cereals does Samus keep in her ship?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, I never thought about the exact nuances of the differences in control, but the various tricks are so much easier to pull off in the GBA games. I don't think I ever managed to consistently walljump in super, and even space jumping was a pain. Midair morph ball isn't so bad though.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always found Space Jumping in Super to be more rhythmic than the other games. A waltz rhythm works best for me, hitting the jump on 1

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah, SNES Space Jump is a rhythm. It's not hard once you get it down, but it's annoying.

The GBA physics are so much more forgiving for practically everything. They're great. Zero Mission fixed the only thing Fusion really did wrong physics-wise by letting you do free walljumps again, and it's just a joy to play.

I feel like Super's slower physics lend themselves more to exploring. With the GBA games, you feel like you're a speedy murder tank, which is great, but also incentivizes you to plow through stuff without slowing down. Super makes you a bit less speedy, and a bit less easily agile, so your pacing is a little slower until you know all the tricks and you consequently look around more.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Super is very momentum-based, I'd say. It really emphasizes the difference that stuff like Speed Booster make to your movement. The GBA games have much snappier, more responsive movement, which is generally good for letting the player do the things the player intends to do, but it does change the overall feel of the games pretty substantially.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 6 (FINAL): Phantoon/Kraid 2024

Featuring a foreshadowed Spore Spawn cameo.

That's it for Searching for Items! It's a fun one to play years later. There's still more planned for this thread so don't unbookmark it just yet! Check back Tuesday for the next vid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
On the topic of Iron Ted (a.k.a. Mecha-Ridley): imagine you're working as a highly-placed enforcer in a powerful, if somewhat inept, band of sci-fi villains. And then one day they say "Good news! We made a robot you!" and it's just a weird animated sculpture that has no behavioral correspondence with what you do at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Normal Ridley has a heart, a soul, and Samus's parents inside of him.
Mech-Ridley has none of those.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
When I was a kid I used to think Mother Brain's red explosion thingie was just a massive armpit fart based off the arm movement, the noise, and where the attack originates from

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Save The AnimalsPlasma Beam

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
lol at Spore Spawn in the escape sequence and double lol at it getting the respect it deserves

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Simply Simon posted:

lol at Spore Spawn in the escape sequence and double lol at it getting the respect it deserves

Still waiting for the hack brave enough to make you fight Kraid during the escape!

(nobody loves botwoon)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Botwoon is a fight that works very well as-is in the vanilla game...but because it's already so compact, and Botwoon gets basically unreactable halfway through (at least in terms of avoiding getting hit), it's hard to change the fight without making it frustratingly difficult instead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Edward_Tohr posted:

Still waiting for the hack brave enough to make you fight Kraid during the escape!

(nobody loves botwoon)

Put a shortcut door in the upper part of the room for if they don't quick-kill.

(Kraid has 1000 health and Hyper Beam does 1000 damage, so this would require doing phase 1 with missiles, which I actually don't know whether it's possible or not.)

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Put a shortcut door in the upper part of the room for if they don't quick-kill.

(Kraid has 1000 health and Hyper Beam does 1000 damage, so this would require doing phase 1 with missiles, which I actually don't know whether it's possible or not.)

It is. When I was younger and more bored I decided to see if I could beat Super Metroid without ever using the beam once I picked up my first pack of missiles. It's plenty doable.

(obviously once you hit MB3 and she drains all your ammo that goes out the window but at that point the game's done so whatever)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Does phase 1 give you ammo refills? Mother Brain does take an awful lot of ammo away from you. Obviously it's possible to put ammo drops in the escape, but if you somehow missed them or wasted your shots, I think you'd get softlocked against Kraid phase 1, which is a pretty funny thought.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Super Metroid Eris, Episode 4: A fresh perspective

So.... I was contacted by Simply Simon about the possibility of commentating on Eris in a livestream format, and we did just that! I think the shift to a stream works better for this one and we had a great time chatting about the hack and plenty of other topics. These stream vod episodes will also be longer than usual episodes (35-45 minutes) just because I have a lot of footage to work through and I don't want to spend weeks putting out episodes of a single stream. Probably also going to update slightly more frequently given my backlog.

Also a quick procedural note: I've started a new job now and so while videos will still release on my channel at noon EST, updates on weekdays will only be posted once I get home from work.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The ending collectathon in Prime 1 is good because you can do it naturally while going through the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm not a huge fan of the collectathons in Primes 1/2, because my casual playthroughs didn't collect them as I went, and I'm not super into backtracking to hoover up all the minor upgrades I missed the first time around. I'd rather keep pushing into new locations, and keep the backtracking limited to "in order to get to new location Z, I have to pass through a subset of old location X, which is made faster and more streamlined because there's bits I can skip thanks to my mobility upgrades, and the enemies all die in one hit now".

Prime 3, from what little I recall of it, I mostly found the power cells as I went, and the derelict ship was cool as hell, so I didn't mind going back to it repeatedly to experience its ambiance. Easily the most unsettling environment in the Prime games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Now we'll never know if you got those Missiles.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I always thought Prime 1's collectathon is fun because it felt a little like excavation. I guess it isn't fun when it's a list you have to check off to finish the game but I enjoyed the search.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The biggest issue with the Artifacts in Prime 1 imo is Phendrana's Edge, you can't get the one there the first time around (you need Xray and Plasma and I think Grapple [and powerbombs?]) but also it's obscure as poo poo so you might trek to the farthest corner of the map, and then get lost in a huge room for another half hour. That's bound to sour your impression.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I liked the way Prime 2 did "find clues in one world to point at the same place in the other world" but I also really liked Echoes in general. If you're one of the folks who wound the switching to mostly be annoying I can see the key hunt aggravating that.

I guess if I were to sum it up I'd say the artifact hunts are an excuse to go back through areas and explore nooks and crannies. If that's something you already found enjoyable then it's probably going to be more fun than if you found getting around the areas to be something in the way of the parts of the game you enjoyed. With the caveat that everyone's different and even if they usually like something sometimes more of it will land like a lead balloon and they can't even explain why it feels bad now.

Edit: which is particularly on my mind because I just went through exactly that with Unicorn Overlord. Great game, but I was ready for it to be done. Fortunately that kicked in when I only had 2 missions left to do.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The problem with the way Prime 2 does it is that you can go to where the Sky Temple keys are, but you just aren't allowed to collect them unless you have the Dark Visor which is what, the second to last upgrade or something? It's just an objectively shittier version of the Prime 1 hunt.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Artix posted:

The problem with the way Prime 2 does it is that you can go to where the Sky Temple keys are, but you just aren't allowed to collect them unless you have the Dark Visor which is what, the second to last upgrade or something? It's just an objectively shittier version of the Prime 1 hunt.

Oh yeah, I remember in my first playthrough, finding this weird invisible object and just not knowing how to interact with it at all. I kept sliding off it and falling into a pit instead.

My friend who was watching was laughing his rear end off when I finally figured out what was going on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Artix posted:

That's true, yeah.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Prime 3, from what little I recall of it, I mostly found the power cells as I went, and the derelict ship was cool as hell, so I didn't mind going back to it repeatedly to experience its ambiance. Easily the most unsettling environment in the Prime games.

Prime 3 also had the skytown observatory that very explicitly located items for you, with each new planet locked behind one of the last upgrades of that planet, meaning you could explore all you wanted then come back and just Get The Answers when you wanted them.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Artix posted:

You get Dark Visor from the Torvus Bog boss, it's not super late, more like two thirds of the way through (maybe you're thinking of the Echo Visor?). But I think there's like two or so Dark Temple Keys you can get to at all before super lategame anyway, the rest require screw attack over large gaps and/or the light suit for the light beams or dark water traversal.

Personally I love Echoes, I don't think the key hunt is better or worse than in Prime 1 though. They often are in "no other reason to go here, no way to do that earlier anyway" areas so it can feel tacked on, otoh it's cool to take a look at and have a reason to go into some versions of light rooms, like the dark entrance to Sanctuary. It also recontextualizes some patches of dark water that used to be just obstacles.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
REDESIGN WAS ALMOST 20 YEARS AGO?!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Let’s not talk about how Metroid peaked with Prime 22 years ago.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 5: Take Me To Church

These are examples of the pieces of visual design that I think really shine in this hack. I genuinely love the library rooms.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I completely forgot about GT showing up so early. You got a shockingly clean fight, nicely done.

I can only remember, like, three items left in the sequence (Ice Beam, Space Jump, and the singular suit upgrade). No clue where hi-jump hared off to.

Do you have any plans to show any of the one-room hacks? These were very early on in the hacking days, generally someone would just take the landing site and turn it into a maze of spikes, morph ball tunnels, and finicky platforming. They're a historical curiosity at best, I'd say, but I do feel like they made their mark on the scene.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Can't believe you blew up that poor guy's rear end.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
the Chozo Hank Hill

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 6: Dude Statue

What an absolute lad.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This video pretty clearly shows off blocks that "only exist" for enemies, like that kihunter that was stuck, or the wall pirates that were jumping between nothing. What does the base game use that for?

For the Bang, I'm pretty sure that it got hit by 4 frames of speed echoes. This is an interesting scenario where it depends on how Super Metroid handles damage values, it's possible the game might fail to correctly process how much damage the Bang does, and heal Samus instead of one-shotting her.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

(Half-Life 1 has a similar rule, and I remember playing Black Mesa, the fan remake, and tearing my hair out because seemingly every jump required you to crouch jump. I ended up modifying the INI file to just make Freeman's base jump height higher. This was before Black Mesa's official release, so maybe they fixed it, but the version I played exemplified the "fans of the game have been playing it for so long that they don't even realize they're using advanced tech any more" problem)

Please don't take this as me dredging up a weeks old post to dunk on you, but crouch jumping is covered in HL1's tutorial. Whether it's actually good or not is a matter of opinion but it's not hidden from you at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 7: Nihilism, or why I disliked Iconoclasts

Also featuring...a flesh demon?