Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 9: Heat 2

Guest-starring my roommate liquidypoo teaching himself how to use our air fryer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm not sure how far ahead you are, but seeing it from another perspective I can see now how the way forward would be a little obtuse here. I played on Easy so I didn't have quite the same experience you're having here

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Heat is a good movie, some say it's Michael Mann's best

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

Episode 6: Making a Metroid Cookbook

Gaming cookbooks sure are an odd trend these days, aren't they?

Way late on this, but I have the official Dungeons & Dragons cookbook and it whips rear end. There's a Magic the Gathering cookbook that I'm super curious to look at too.

Also now that I'm caught up, I'm usually pretty middling on SM compared to more recent entries in the series/genre but this hack looks pretty cool!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 10: What are Mochtroids anyway?

They sure are weird, aren't they? They never show up in another game, no explanation, etc.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Calling it now, you find a way to get that energy tank from the laser room and it'll turn out to have been the power supply for the lasers and they turn off.

Aren't mochtroids supposed to be (the first) space pirate attempts at cloning metroids?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The SM manual has a blurb about them that says for or less that. No reason for them to be loitering around only Maridia though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It is pretty funny to have the Mochtroids in the cold zone, considering that Metroids are basically immune to everything but cold.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I was trying to remember where Phantoom was while watching this video. I hate the fight against him no matter if it's the base game or a hack. But I do like that they found a way to incorporate the Dark Visor into a boss fight though.

I'm also not the biggest fan of Hell Runs. At least here it was really limited. You're not in any real danger unless you basically put down the controller and go off to make a sandwich. I did it the coward's way and played on Easy which disables cold damage altogether

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

some other thing Convergently evolved to resemble metroids in the absence of a metroid

Im of the idea there are other stages but also similarly poo poo compared to the death orbs/godzillas that are actual metroids

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I don't think I've ever seen the name Mochtroid written down before; I'd always assumed it was Mocktroids i.e. mock Metroids.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Most would probably get it from the manual.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I never had the manual for the game, just the cart by itself, so I must've learned the name spelling from all of my obsessive Metroid-fansite-seeking internet usage in the mid 2000s. Finally, all my hours of hard work, paying off!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Maridia is also home to my least favorite enemy in the series. Those goddamn snail thingies that take off way too much health for being snail thingies and constantly block your way

Tahltria
Jan 1, 2024

"Don't let your hope become just another memory."
It is only now, after watching the last video or two that I realized the error of my ways: The few times I ever played Super Metroid hacks, many years ago, I was using a keyboard. :cripes:

The low cold damage is a nice change from the usual "You are now in a room that is too hot and your face is melting off after 1.181 seconds in here". A part of me almost wants to see a slightly different version of it where the cold damage ramps up slowly over time, the time between damage ticks getting shorter and shorter the longer you stay in a cold area. Blame it on severe glacial winds or something. But the current iteration is still neat, too. It looks like it's just fast enough to make you want to hurry a little, but not so fast that you can't salvage the situation if you get stuck somewhere or take some damage along the way.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Considering the other little nods to Prime 2 in this game (a general "Ammo" meter, water mobility not being the final suit upgrade, the way that game's Screw Attack works compared to this game's Space Jump, a literal Dark Visor), a little forced damage run doesn't surprise me.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Screw Attack is in the Prime games? How does it work? I never played them because I'm awful at first person shooters. I IDDQD'd my way through those formative years

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
it's introduced in prime 2 and it basically acts as an extension to the double jump where you can make up to five further jumps in a row in a straight line. im dogshit at using it but it's cool

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It also basically one-shots anything you can hit with it. You can instakill the Ing Emperor with it in Prime 2, if you line things up properly.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 11: Faint praise for Metroid Other M

One of these days I'll do an LP of Other M. I don't know if it'll be a good LP, but I wanna do it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That gate puzzle...man, I love the solution to that one

I never got a chance to play Other M, but if the biggest complaint is the plot I could probably live with it. I'm the first to admit I love stories over gameplay, but Metroid's story has never exactly been deep

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

My biggest Other M complaint after the character assassination of a story is that the game gives you the speed booster but places little ledges in extremely long corridors so you can barely use it for traversal unless it's required for a puzzle.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I ended up replaying Other M as part of a marathon of various metroid games in the month or two before Dread was released, and it was honestly a really interesting time. The character assassination sucks, the story sucks, everyone knows that. But what really caught me off guard was just, how surprisingly close the gameplay was to actually achieving a character-action take on Metroid. Which makes sense, Team Ninja, the Ninja Gaiden devs were working with Nintendo on this. And when it hits, it's actually pretty good. The problem is that it was decided that the only controller option for this game is a single wii remote, held sideways most of the time, but held like a pointer in order to use missiles and do first person stuff. It was a bad idea that really hampers the gameplay itself. They did a commendable job with what they had, but it's *too* simplified for most things, making for things to get pretty repetitive the further it goes.

Still, it has some moments where this idea of what could have been, the character-action metroid, shines through, and it's *really* cool, helped by the fact that I was playing it via Dolphin, with the controls mapped to a standard controller using some control scheme I found somewhere. It worked pretty well, and even had moments where using missiles in the middle of some of the proper fights against enemies actually worked and was fun. I'd even also say that the Ridley fight, despite also being the absolute low point of the story and the writing, is the best that the gameplay gets.

Other M still is a bad game at the end of the day, and replaying it like that made me more sad that we didn't actually get the character action metroid game that we honestly should have gotten with Other M.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
There's a kernel of something cool in a game where you're playing as a walking tank in a derelict spacecraft, and your weapons are both essential to progressing through the game and also a huge hazard to the derelict's structural stability. Something like, you're trying to extract survivors from a wreck, and as part of that you'll need to blast through parts of the ship, but if you do it wrong you'll space the people you're trying to save.

It's not a Metroid game, but I think there's some meat on those bones. Sort of Hardspace: Shipbreaker crossed with Heat Signature.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I mean, in their defense, if I was on a mission like that and was joined by someone who had a reputation for blowing up places she went to I'd want her to dial it back a notch or two, too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, and if they'd played up that angle and had to argue Samus around to not immediately blowing everything up with maximum firepower, I'd've been a lot more on-board with how the story was handled.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
"Sammy, you've already blown up one entire planet this month, just keep it in your robot pants."

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Samus as the maverick cop that doesn't play by the rules! You blew up the orphanage planet, that's one too many! Turn in your plasma beam and badge!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ratoslov posted:

Samus as the maverick cop that doesn't play by the rules! You blew up the orphanage planet, that's one too many! Turn in your plasma beam and badge!

There was an amazing little animated intro of a hypothetical 70's/80's cop show where Samus is the maverick cop, Baby Metroid is her long-suffering partner (with a moustache!), Ridley is the small-time criminal they shake down for information, etc. Sadly, the creator deleted their twitter, and I can't find it elsewhere.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

The major fix to Other M's story is to have Samus come in guns blazing and accidentally space herself or something. Establish that the facility is damaged, and breaking out the super missiles is actually a major hazard. Then having them locked down and only breaking them out when like, Ridley shows up is way more justified. Also cutting the entire Eraser subplot, just have baby Ridley moving around the station like a xenomorph killing anyone he finds alone. There's a kernel of a decent idea there but every decision made just doesn't come together.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The main thing I remember about playing Other M, besides the very strange characterization of Samus, is that is has (several!) pixel hunts. What the heck?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Love the detail of the N64 audio in the Mine losing a channel when you ride the elevator. Now that's some accurate SNES emulation!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Love the detail of the N64 audio in the Mine losing a channel when you ride the elevator. Now that's some accurate SNES emulation!

Short of adding custom emulated hardware or rewriting the music, it's obligatory. The SNES only has so many sound channels, so if the background music starts using a sound channel, and then a sound effect starts playing on that same channel, the music will be cut out. Older hacks would sometimes run into this problem if they used the intro music (which plays while Samus is delivering her monologue about destroying Mother Brain, finding the baby Metroid, etc) during gameplay. That track was designed to work with the typing sound effect, and nothing else, so it routinely has crosstalk issues with in-game SFX.

You don't generally notice this in un-hacked SNES games, because there's enough channels that the developers can have good music and good SFX without them getting in each others' way, so long as they plan things right. It happens all the time in NES games though, because the NES only has 5 sound channels, each of which is specialized for a particular purpose (e.g. one only plays noise). It's pretty hard to make good music and good SFX under those constraints.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh I'm well aware, I just don't know that I've ever heard an N64 track with part of the sound cut out like that. My post was genuine!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Gotcha, sorry for assuming you didn't know that stuff! I just got excited :v:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The SNES really had some great music. This, Chrono Trigger, and Donkey Kong Country 2 remain some of my favorite soundtracks. The Dark World theme from Link to the Past is my ringtone

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 12: A dangerous diversion

Note: It's highly likely that we need to go back to The Hive for further progression but those enemies are so dangerous and I had no health at the time. We'll probably look there once more next recording session.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I did not find the Torizo fight until later for some reason. Getting the Power Bomb was a lot of fun without it, let me tell you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
While I wouldn't put it past the devs to have patched the GT quick kill, IIRC the trick is that you have to crouch and then hold L+R to aim up and shoot at him.

I note that the Magma Lake is suspiciously full of platforms, like you could navigate it even if you don't have the Hi-Jump Boots. Y'all mentioned sequence breaking, and I'm inclined to agree that it's probably possible to get there really early. I bet they placed the early E-Tanks and refill tanks, and also the heated rooms, really strategically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Ah, now for the least favourite part of any metroidvania: Trying to remember where all the poo poo you saw earlier actually was.