Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best bean?
adzuki beans
anasazi beans
black beans
goku
borlotti beans
cannellini beans
garbanzo beans
cranberry beans
fava beans
flageolet beans
great northern beans
kidney beans
lentils
lima beans
moth beans
mung beans
navy beans
pink-eyed peas
pinto beans
red beans
soybeans
hillary clinton
split peas
urad beans
yardlong beans
View Results

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

kreeningsons posted:

bean year in review:

main lunch the first half of the year was channa masala [1], [2]. solid bean lunch, first recipe isn’t very good, need to try the second

kale+bean salad bean lunch for the summer [3], ran out of mint from my garden. dressing definitely does NOT freeze ok. reserved for summer potlucks

currently: garbanzos con espinacas for lunch [4]. using 1:2 frozen to fresh spinach ratio. user comment on there about a version including cinnamon + nutmeg, need to try

exclusively chili [5] bean dinners when traveling for work. loaded a week of frozen containers in the hotel mini fridge … sick setup. can’t be improved upon

masoor dal [6] need milder dried chilies for this one

holiday bean dinner [7] very good. VERY beany, not for the faint of heart. first try, took my eyes off it for a second and thr broiler burned the poo poo out of the bread and possibly caused smoke damage to the house. worth it

tofu: made tieban tofu [8] perfect quick meal w/ some gai lan

miscellaneous bean dishes: some generic nyt poo poo that exists in infinite permutations on their site [9] and some tiktok recipe [citation needed] with cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and cannellini beans

areas for improvement:

working on a lentil soup [10], NEEDS a better stock than “better than bullion”, texture is too inconsistent with an immersion blender, need to batch blend half

still trying to cook a good kik alicha but can’t get it to taste like the restaurant — close to giving up

#1 tofu priority in 2024 is mapo tofu

would like to shift to dried beans to eliminate aluminum can liner microplastics from my diet, save $$, and try exotic confetti colored beans that someone posted about in the Covid thread but now I can’t find their post

Now THIS is bean eating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I don't like lentils much. Red are better than brown or green, I guess.

Mods?!!!!???!!!!????!!!!!!!!!!!!

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I don't like lentils much. Red are better than brown or green, I guess.

it's nice that red lentils cook so fast. I used to use them for thermos meals because I could put them in uncooked w/ boiling water (and rice and other stuff ofc) and they'd be ready by lunchtime

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

reminder that now is the time to sew your snap peas and fava beans. I got a couple little favas growing. I don't think they care about frost. they're a little repulsive to eat but they're about the only thing that fruits that early, other than the snap peas

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The Voice of Labor posted:

reminder that now is the time to sew your snap peas and fava beans. I got a couple little favas growing. I don't think they care about frost. they're a little repulsive to eat but they're about the only thing that fruits that early, other than the snap peas
My favas r about a month old now. We've got them more for the nitrogen fixation but I will eat whatever they make

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i made mapo tofu last week and it was easy/good but i had to buy lots of ingredients that i dont have on hand usually

fortunately i can spread that chili paste on basically any sandwich to improve it

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

might cook some beans tonight

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

In Quebec they're called gourganes, I think they're fava in English. My grandparents would make gourganes soup and I thought it was the worst thing ever. 25 years later I would really like to eat some again and see how my tastes evolved.

Good thread timing, 2024 is bean year for me. So far I've made rajma, channa masala and a beluga lentils soup (https://rainbowplantlife.com/creamy-mushroom-and-black-beluga-lentil-stew/). The instant pot is really handy with raw, unsoaked beans.

Weka
May 5, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

might cook some beans tonight

any updates on this?`

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

kreeningsons posted:

bean year in review:

main lunch the first half of the year was channa masala [1], [2]. solid bean lunch, first recipe isn’t very good, need to try the second

kale+bean salad bean lunch for the summer [3], ran out of mint from my garden. dressing definitely does NOT freeze ok. reserved for summer potlucks

currently: garbanzos con espinacas for lunch [4]. using 1:2 frozen to fresh spinach ratio. user comment on there about a version including cinnamon + nutmeg, need to try

exclusively chili [5] bean dinners when traveling for work. loaded a week of frozen containers in the hotel mini fridge … sick setup. can’t be improved upon

masoor dal [6] need milder dried chilies for this one

holiday bean dinner [7] very good. VERY beany, not for the faint of heart. first try, took my eyes off it for a second and thr broiler burned the poo poo out of the bread and possibly caused smoke damage to the house. worth it

tofu: made tieban tofu [8] perfect quick meal w/ some gai lan

miscellaneous bean dishes: some generic nyt poo poo that exists in infinite permutations on their site [9] and some tiktok recipe [citation needed] with cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and cannellini beans

areas for improvement:

working on a lentil soup [10], NEEDS a better stock than “better than bullion”, texture is too inconsistent with an immersion blender, need to batch blend half

still trying to cook a good kik alicha but can’t get it to taste like the restaurant — close to giving up

#1 tofu priority in 2024 is mapo tofu

would like to shift to dried beans to eliminate aluminum can liner microplastics from my diet, save $$, and try exotic confetti colored beans that someone posted about in the Covid thread but now I can’t find their post

ever make chickpea tofu? it kicks rear end, fries like a dream, and even does that thing where you can freeze and thaw it repeatedly to get nice texturized strips

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Weka posted:

any updates on this?`

i did

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
soaking some black beans instead of using cans. hope 8 hours is enough for decent rice and beans. wish me luck!

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better
probably not

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I really gotta get into the dried bean game but then I gotta have to decide what I'm eating ahead of time.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

titty_baby_ posted:

I really gotta get into the dried bean game but then I gotta have to decide what I'm eating ahead of time.

That's where the instant pot really helps. Chickpeas from dried to cooked in 50 minutes with basically no effort required.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Just make ful medames - bing bong, so simple!

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

fava beans can make you hella sick if you got a mutation and that's pretty metal

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

aw frig aw dang it posted:

fava beans can make you hella sick if you got a mutation and that's pretty metal

When I bought mine to plant they had a warning on tje label about that. Some people can get sick just from like handling the beans or beathing in bean dust. I gambled and thankfully am not one of tjem

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Mr. Sharps posted:

ever make chickpea tofu? it kicks rear end, fries like a dream, and even does that thing where you can freeze and thaw it repeatedly to get nice texturized strips

no I gotta try that, sounds awesome. although I feel at the moment my chickpea intake is adequate … more so need to diversify my bean intake

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

my coworker said scarlet runners do well near us so I might try that this year

so many ideas for crops and I only have a 4x8 bed and some smart pots to plant in..

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Horseshoe theory posted:

Just make ful medames - bing bong, so simple!

that's how my dad used to cook them. same sauce anyway, he didn't stew them. I can't, for the life of me, remember how he used to cook them, it wasn't pan fried or boiled so it must have been steamed.

I had a bag of deep fried snacking favas and they were pretty good. I will also eat some of the really young ones raw as I wander my garden. they're still a little bitter, but there's a weird sweet perfumyness that makes it worthwhile

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

How do I eat more beans?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if possible, grow them. you'll appreciate them more

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The local Trader Joe's stopped selling red lentils. There should be a law.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Crazycryodude posted:

How do I eat more beans?

put them in your mouth op

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

aw frig aw dang it posted:

put them in your mouth op

don't forget to chew! swallowing is also a pro strat

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

speng31b
May 8, 2010

sticking this thread in honor of bean day

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

all glory to the bean

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

it's a good day, a good day for beans

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ben thread for top level forum

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

happy bean day my favorite is coffee

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Buck Wildman posted:

happy bean day my favorite is coffee

eat the beans

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

What is an easy bean I can grow inside?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Pitcher Witcher posted:

depends on your setup but you can grow a lot of green bush bean hybrids inside like Contender, Provider etc...

they're NOT beans but I've had good luck growing Tom Thumb peas in my aerogarden several times. they take a while longer to ripen than they would outside but they're small and you can pack them in real close so they'll support each other

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

beans ftw

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Pitcher Witcher posted:

my sugar snap peas were quite happy and prolific under a grow light, though depending on your area you may need to beware of fungus gnats. a light dusting of diatomaceous earth over the soil is your friend against those and many other common indoor plant pests

i encourage all to grow a bean. it's very rewarding

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lumpentroll posted:

eat the beans

I grind them up and drink them

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Buck Wildman posted:

I grind them up and drink them