Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best bean?
adzuki beans
anasazi beans
black beans
goku
borlotti beans
cannellini beans
garbanzo beans
cranberry beans
fava beans
flageolet beans
great northern beans
kidney beans
lentils
lima beans
moth beans
mung beans
navy beans
pink-eyed peas
pinto beans
red beans
soybeans
hillary clinton
split peas
urad beans
yardlong beans
View Results

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

As a child I refused to eat refried beans because they look like poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

lumpentroll posted:

and now, as an adult, you look like poo

Take heed and learn from my.mistakes. eat the beans!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

kreeningsons posted:

bean year in review:

main lunch the first half of the year was channa masala [1], [2]. solid bean lunch, first recipe isn’t very good, need to try the second

kale+bean salad bean lunch for the summer [3], ran out of mint from my garden. dressing definitely does NOT freeze ok. reserved for summer potlucks

currently: garbanzos con espinacas for lunch [4]. using 1:2 frozen to fresh spinach ratio. user comment on there about a version including cinnamon + nutmeg, need to try

exclusively chili [5] bean dinners when traveling for work. loaded a week of frozen containers in the hotel mini fridge … sick setup. can’t be improved upon

masoor dal [6] need milder dried chilies for this one

holiday bean dinner [7] very good. VERY beany, not for the faint of heart. first try, took my eyes off it for a second and thr broiler burned the poo poo out of the bread and possibly caused smoke damage to the house. worth it

tofu: made tieban tofu [8] perfect quick meal w/ some gai lan

miscellaneous bean dishes: some generic nyt poo poo that exists in infinite permutations on their site [9] and some tiktok recipe [citation needed] with cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and cannellini beans

areas for improvement:

working on a lentil soup [10], NEEDS a better stock than “better than bullion”, texture is too inconsistent with an immersion blender, need to batch blend half

still trying to cook a good kik alicha but can’t get it to taste like the restaurant — close to giving up

#1 tofu priority in 2024 is mapo tofu

would like to shift to dried beans to eliminate aluminum can liner microplastics from my diet, save $$, and try exotic confetti colored beans that someone posted about in the Covid thread but now I can’t find their post

Thank you

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The Voice of Labor posted:

reminder that now is the time to sew your snap peas and fava beans. I got a couple little favas growing. I don't think they care about frost. they're a little repulsive to eat but they're about the only thing that fruits that early, other than the snap peas
My favas r about a month old now. We've got them more for the nitrogen fixation but I will eat whatever they make

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I really gotta get into the dried bean game but then I gotta have to decide what I'm eating ahead of time.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

aw frig aw dang it posted:

fava beans can make you hella sick if you got a mutation and that's pretty metal

When I bought mine to plant they had a warning on tje label about that. Some people can get sick just from like handling the beans or beathing in bean dust. I gambled and thankfully am not one of tjem

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

my coworker said scarlet runners do well near us so I might try that this year

so many ideas for crops and I only have a 4x8 bed and some smart pots to plant in..

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Made some lentil soup last week with greens and a leek from our garden, poo poo was cash, might do again today

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

made lentil soup again last weekend and just finished off the leftovers. poo poo was cash

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Gf made vegetarian chili in an instant pot in a pinch last night before we left. It came out pretty well tbh

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

She used canned (were working on switching) so the instant pot was more just to cook the veggies really quick. We normally do chili in the slow cooker.

It tasted a bit different (not in a bad way) and I asked what she used to season and she said she just did cumin and then dumped half a mason jar of our homemade salsa into it. Ive never thought about that before but it does have most of the seasonings you'd put into chili. I wanna experiment more with it in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Yeah definitely don't go around eating random lupines lol

Don't go around eating random beans in general. Lotta hosed up wild beans