Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best bean?
adzuki beans
anasazi beans
black beans
goku
borlotti beans
cannellini beans
garbanzo beans
cranberry beans
fava beans
flageolet beans
great northern beans
kidney beans
lentils
lima beans
moth beans
mung beans
navy beans
pink-eyed peas
pinto beans
red beans
soybeans
hillary clinton
split peas
urad beans
yardlong beans
View Results

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I like human beans op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Al! posted:

this is a classic lovely Chili recipe so i approve

It's taco soup.

Hatebag posted:

legume-chart.jpeg

although this isn't the whole picture because legumes include a bunch of crazy poo poo like mesquite, tamarind, clover, all kinds of stuff! there's a whole wide world of legumes!

This chart clearly shows not every bean is a pulse. Like the ground bean (pea nut)

Weka
May 5, 2019

Hatebag posted:

i think soybeans aren't beans? god i don't know what to think any more. their name means "i am beans" for christ's sake!

they are beans, do not believe so called bean scientists with their calipers and charts of bean shapes

Weka
May 5, 2019

kreeningsons posted:

bean year in review:

main lunch the first half of the year was channa masala [1], [2]. solid bean lunch, first recipe isn’t very good, need to try the second

kale+bean salad bean lunch for the summer [3], ran out of mint from my garden. dressing definitely does NOT freeze ok. reserved for summer potlucks

currently: garbanzos con espinacas for lunch [4]. using 1:2 frozen to fresh spinach ratio. user comment on there about a version including cinnamon + nutmeg, need to try

exclusively chili [5] bean dinners when traveling for work. loaded a week of frozen containers in the hotel mini fridge … sick setup. can’t be improved upon

masoor dal [6] need milder dried chilies for this one

holiday bean dinner [7] very good. VERY beany, not for the faint of heart. first try, took my eyes off it for a second and thr broiler burned the poo poo out of the bread and possibly caused smoke damage to the house. worth it

tofu: made tieban tofu [8] perfect quick meal w/ some gai lan

miscellaneous bean dishes: some generic nyt poo poo that exists in infinite permutations on their site [9] and some tiktok recipe [citation needed] with cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and cannellini beans

areas for improvement:

working on a lentil soup [10], NEEDS a better stock than “better than bullion”, texture is too inconsistent with an immersion blender, need to batch blend half

still trying to cook a good kik alicha but can’t get it to taste like the restaurant — close to giving up

#1 tofu priority in 2024 is mapo tofu

would like to shift to dried beans to eliminate aluminum can liner microplastics from my diet, save $$, and try exotic confetti colored beans that someone posted about in the Covid thread but now I can’t find their post

Now THIS is bean eating!

Weka
May 5, 2019

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I don't like lentils much. Red are better than brown or green, I guess.

Mods?!!!!???!!!!????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weka
May 5, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

might cook some beans tonight

any updates on this?`

Weka
May 5, 2019

Just bought some fermented black soybeans, not quite sure what I'm going to do with them but I am sure it will be good, I love these things. Also got the black bean and chilli from old godmother

Weka
May 5, 2019

The fermented black soybeans are called douchi apparently

Weka
May 5, 2019

Never knew you could eat lupins. Looking forward to hearing what they are like.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I've been eating a big pot of double black bean chilli recently, regular black beans and the fermented black soybeans. Pretty good

Weka
May 5, 2019

Cupboards looking bare, so I had a bowl of baked beans with panang curry paste for breakfast. Pretty good. Hard to go wrong with beans.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I've been thinking about trying to find some bulk beans and filling a bucket or two. Harder than I imagined in NZ though.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Megamissen posted:

cool did not know that, they are invasive here though which is not cool

I looked them up and they have only relatively recently isolated the arse taste from them in some specific cultivars so those ones are probably very bitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

this it sounds amazing but I think that is too much oil if you are not trying to preserve your cooked beans