Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Here is the short tale of Amazon Prime elven sorcerer.

Used auto roller for a while.

Did some early game quests. Resucing Melicamp was dicey.

He lived.

The classic cloudkill off screen.

Killed Neera for her gem bag.

At this point I was feeling really good and thinking I was ready to maybe actually beat the game over the next hour or so. Once I got a wand of fire things start to really cook.

The world was my oyster and I had 50 charge wand of fire and thought I would kill the basilisks at Durlags then go do the rest of the game. I also thought okay I know there is a trap in front of that stairwell so I will grab a couple potions to make me immune to the trap and then buff myself with the remaining protection from petrification scroll and go on with my life. Ooops you idiot the potion makes you immune to that protection from petrification spell you are dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Best Buy Gamersclub elven sorcerer has cleared the cloakwood and is heading for Baldur's Gate.

Forgot to take screenshot at the end of creation.

I go and do all the easy early game things I can gain a few levels.

The run nearly ends early when I get a bad random encounter and barely make it out alive.

Ol reliable of tossing a cloudkill at these assassins off screen.

Melicamp died.

Went and cleaned up the garden.

This time I made sure my potion to protect against the trap had worn off before I cast protection from petrification and did not repeat my last mistake. Grab the wisdom tome while I'm here.

Ah yes level 7 the traditional level where you go to Friendly Arm Inn for the first time.

Went and grabbed the charisma tome.

Enemy spell casters just cannot deal with improved invis creatures at all and both of these go quickly.

I bought some potions just for this trap to protect me from electricity.

Tossed fireballs from offscreen until he died.

Currently level 8 almost to level 9 and going to stop there for the night.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Best Buy GamersClub elven sorcerer has defeated Sarevok and made it to Amn.

Went to the city and set about doing the poison quest line. He just kind of stood there and let me kill him because of improved invis.

Went and did a bunch of side quests to get to the maximum XP and get a bit of money for the gear I needed for the final push to the end. Did it all in one long session while extremely tired because I wanted my carryover XP.

Wand of Fire and Improved Invis trivialize another fight.

Good to be back.

I prepare some specific buffs and invis past all the fights. Needed fire resistance, electricity resistance, shield, and free action to be basically immune to everything down here. I only had 90% fire resistance, so I take a little bit of damage but only a few points. I stopped and killed the basilisks for some free xp.

Getting this last book was a little dicey. I forgot that the first trap in the cave is a stun, and the second trap is a charm. I had used one of the potions of clarity, which doesn't protect against stun, so I was stunned (but invis) after the first trap which is fine. The problem is I then yolo'd over the second trap which is a dire charm without checking to see if my potion of clarity was still active. It thankfully was active, but it was reckless. Having your only party member charmed is a game over.

For the Ducal palace I went with a Wand of Monster Summoning, hasting them, casting a Chaos from a scroll on the Dopplegangers and a little bit of luck. The lady duke who's name escapes me nearly died but didn't, but the guy (belt?) barely took damage.

Basically the same setup as underneath Candlekeep. Make yourself immune to everything, invis and run past all the enemies.

The stolen from speedrunners technique of Protection From Magic scroll, pull Sarevok, take an invis potion and let the traps kill him.

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Honorable Trader, Iron Party, Battlemaster, Roleplayer, A God Among Men
Dishonors: None

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Best Buy GamersClub elven sorcerer is doing very well for herself in Amn.

The state of her at the start of BG2. I remembered my pants which I usually forget.

I forgot to loot one of the keys for the Monster Summoning wand and I couldn't remember where it was so we just walked around it. After finishing just about everything else I invised Best Buy and just walked to the end of the dungeon bypassing the final fight.

We kick out some party members for now.

Then we grab the gloves of pickpocketing and a bunch of master thievery potions and go about stealing from the merchant. Going to be honest I used to do this part manually, but I have some carpal tunnel now and cannot put my arm through that much repeitive motion anymore so I just opened the console and gave myself a few million gold after I did about 20 steals manually.

I figure it's just safer to buy the license.

At this point I'm just doing the easiests quests I can to try to reach 1.25 million XP. Circus, Skinner murders I catch him in the act and then don't actually follow him downstairs to the fight and instead just go turn it in. You can go do the fight later and it doesn't change anything. This avoids all combat in this quest and makes it a nice solid chunk of easy XP. Copper Coronet I solved with liberal use of wands cast from offscreen.

Noticed I don't have screenshots for the rest of the thieves guild quest line but I always found it one of the easier quests. The fight against the coweled wizard can be made trivial with invis, cloud kill wand and spell immunity. He will just stand in the cloud kill helpless and do nothing else. The fight against Maever goes about the same way just be invis and toss fireballs or cloud kills or skull traps from off screen and run round faster than they can catch you. Sprinkle in some scorchers.

Cleaning up some sewers stuff.

Skeleton summons, mislead, scorchers fireballs and so on make these pretty easy. I also realize I need a different way to take screenshots.

Still trying to grind out every last bit of easy XP I can get. I often forget about this random house with enemies in it but they are worth around 35k. Looking up the Gamebanshee guide to remind me of things. I decided to install EEEX during the middle of this run to make my life easier. Being able to see what buffs someone has instead of trying to read through the combat log to keep track of it is too nice an upgrade and the spell menu mod is also nicer.

Doing the druid grove at this point of the game solo is also kind of risky. The Rakasha can be extremely hard for me to take down solo, relying on multiple casts of mislead and all my casts of minute meteors and then barely doing it. I didn't bother trying to touch the others one with them and just looted the head and left.

Around this time I was trying to think of what super easy XP was there to get when I remembered hey idiot go to Umar Hills just talking and picking up a book is around 50-70k XP. This got me over 1.25 million and it was time to recruit a party. First was getting some scroll scribing done though. Grabbed Edwin and made him learn everything he could, then Jan, then Aerie, I didn't bother trying to track down Nalia or Neera. I didn't erase anything to learn it multiple times, but I did feed them every scroll I could. By the time Aerie was done I had leveled up again.

After all that I grabbed my party for real and moved to secure Korgan, Edwin and Jaheria.

With that wrapped up (Jaheria's problems will come back later of course) I decided to go move to act 3 entirely for the XP and Amulet of Power. I was also worried this might possibly be the end of my run. When I did the thieves guild quest a long time ago I didn't finish off any of the people on the upper floors and just did the bottom floor and left. Well next time I came here they were all standing in the street and hostile. I was invis so they ignored me. However once I came here for Jaheria they all attacked me and it seems a bunch of random NPC's were also hostile including just normal civilians. It didn't seem to come to anything thankfully and the thieves up by the main building weren't hostile and everyone inside was normal as well.

Wish you could ask Nalia about the torture stuff in the basement.

Anomen nearly died, but the Mordekainen's swords got aggro and tanked it well allowing him to spend the rest of the fight chugging health potions. The random civilian lady I didn't notice until it was too late did not get harmed at all.

Not sure what I'm going to do next.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Best Buy Gamersclub is still questing in Amn.

I forget exactly when I did this, but I guess I forgot to take any screenshots so I won't know now. But at some point I went and did the Planar Prison to rescue Haer'dalis. This did not go without problems because I easily beat all the enemies and then got to the final room and Raelis was no where to be found leaving me trapped inside the prison. Only Haer'dalis had spawned in. I spawned Raelis with the console and the quest proceeded as normal from there. No idea what happened with her and the other theater members because none of them got killed or controlled or anything like that in the fight before they get kidnapped.

I dropped off Korgan for a bit and went and recruited Valgyr, had him open the door to the Sphere and then ditched him. I didn't want him in my party, but I didn't want to perma kill him just in case either. Nothing too exciting in the Sphere so far.

I used mass invis on the party and the coweled wizard just kind of stood there doing nothing all fight was pretty anti climatic. The hardest part of the quest was in the final chamber with multiple clay and adamantine golems.

After that Jans quest triggered and we decided it was time to check out the rich treasure in the Five Flagons while we were there. I was rewarde with a Spell Trap. I had gotten Project Image from another rich treasure earlier in the game I forget where, so I'm doing nicely so far with that.

I usually rememeber all these puzzles, but also decided to just look up the answers eventually and save myself the hassle.

I laid traps with Jan before starting the fight and then sent a couple of skeleton warriors to draw off the Dispel magic and then sent in the melee. After that I hit the dragon with 3x lower resistance and then just chain casted skull traps until they died. I had put protection from magical energy on the whole party so was able to be pretty free with it. In the end it was the poison dot from Jan that got the killing blow.

Here is a fight I reget. My reputation was about to hit 17 and I wanted to lower it a bit. I said okay I will go kill this lady and then buy up my rep a little bit up to 12 so I can get the good outcome from Anomens quest. Killing this lady didn't drop my rep. It did aggro the nearby fence. Thankfully I had already bought out his entire inventory of anything good earlier in the game. He didn't drop my reputation either. Then I killed a peasant and that did. Sorry to everyone I murdered.

Not sure what I am going to do next.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Still more questing for Best Buy GamersClub

I remembered I never actually went into the below part of the Tanners house and did the fight there or anything because I skipped it when I was solo not wanting to deal with the fight while solo and you can finish the quest by just going and talking to the guard.

Turns out when I went down there the Tanner had never despawned and was now immortal. I tested it and even the cheat kill hotkey wouldn't kill him. I ended up doing mass invis and looting everything with Jan going to the bottom floor doing the fight and then doing another invis to leave. I'm sure he is still there to this day. Oddly I also already killed him in Trademeet.

Collecting lich parts.

I had sent Korgan ahead with the Shield of Balduran solo, but wanted to speed things along because of the shadows spawning and didn't want him to get stunned if his enrage wore off so I told Edwina to go toss a couple skull traps up into the mix to help out. They then decided to ignore Korgan and kill her. Ah well there goes the iron party award.

Korgan did just about everything this quest.

I get the scroll of Horrid Wilting for Edwin and then doom two out of the three of my apprentices to get a second Ring of Wizardry. You lose out on a bunch of XP, but that ring is best in slot for mage.

More lich parts.

I grabbed this while I was nearby.

Kangaxx actually bugged out on me. I told him I brought the parts, it played the animation for him to spawn, then it went back to the dialogue and he thought I said I wouldn't bring the parts, he never actually spawned and it said the coffin was empty. I reloaded at this point and it worked the second time.

Three Sunfires (Anomen, Korgan with Daystar and a Simulacrum) took care of the lich form, then I hit him with double Ring of the Ram from Korgan and Ring of Energy from Jan and Kangaxx went down without too much trouble. Also you can see where I placed the traps in the wrong spot and they never went off. He died just before Korgans enrage ended which is good because I didn't want to lose him.

I'm about 3000 XP away from 9th level spells on Best Buy, Edwin has 8th level spells now, Jan lagging behind at only 6th level. Jaheria still about 1.5 million XP behind Best Buy and about 1 million behind everyone else.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Best Buy GamersClub has knocked off another boss.

I got a statue ?? (I forget) made for the church and then a demon appeared and killed the artist and he dropped the ore. Oh no.

Despite dying as soon as we gave him the ore we still got rewarded for having the statue made.

The harpers kept bothering Jaheira, but they are pretty outmatched by our party.

I have no one that will use Celestial Fury, but knocked it off the list. Sadly no rare spell scrolls spawned in the rich treasures.

This dude showed up and gave Jaheira her harper pin. Ignore the murders I've done I donated to the church so it's all forgiven.

Sure they died, but I got a really good item. That means it was all worth it.

The twisted rune was no match for the party.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I feel like my game might be bugged I've had Anomen in my party for like 2 months of game time and his quest never triggered. Looking it up on the wiki it seems he is supposed to spawn after 5 days. Unless you are romancing him then a certain love talk needs to play. However the romance never triggered either and he has been basically silent all game. Might just live with it, but I'm also tempted to just spawn the messenger.

Also the Thayian wizard never showed up to turn Edwin back into a man and it's been 2 months as well.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Best Buy GamersClub is closing in on the waning hours of chapter 2/3.

Decided it was time to hit up Watchers Keep level 1 mostly becaused I wanted the ammo case.

Does anyone ever fight this guy?

I think I forgot to put protection from magical energy on Jaheira and then set off a spell sequencer with skull traps in it right on her face. Sorry.

So a few dozen hours later I decided it time to go rescue Viconia. I know Anomen and Hexxat don't get a long so I put him on the sideline while I rescued her. I ditched her after I got her bag of holding and that's the last we will be seeing of her.

I wanted a nice big chunk of XP that was easy to get and finishing up the rival guild quest line I knew would do it. I'm not ready to leave chapter 3 just yet though.

The rival guild didn't get me all the way to 3 million XP but it got me close and my scroll cases were getting incredibly full so I figured let's clear out some of these and push me over the finish line.

I guess next I will go to Windspear Hills and clean up any outstanding stuff in chapter 2/3, but I don't think there is much left undone.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Whats up with the color grading?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Best Buy Gamersclub is wringing out the last of the XP from chapter 2/3.

We start with Windspear hills and another dragon to kill.

Planetars make short work of most of the things in this dungeon.

I sent in the Planetar to eat the dispel, and then it didn't do much the rest of the fight. Best Buy went in with a time stop then a spell trigger with 3x lower resistance before doing a sequencer with 3x skull traps then a horrid wilting into another time stop and horrid wiltings.

I have so much gear stored in The Copper Coronet it took me about half an hour to sort through it all and see what I needed to keep and what to toss.

I stopped the mind flayers from attacking the city of Baldur's Gate wait I'm sorry I mean Athkatla. Did you know Planetars are useless against mind flayers? Swapped to Mordenkainens Swords and they cleaned up.

I never remember to do this, but I made sure I would this time.

I forgot to grab any screenshots of this part but, I dropped Korgan at some point and grabbed Mazzy, I did some small quest of hers where she duels a half ogre and apparently that's all I can do because the wiki seems to indicate if you don't have her in your party when you do the Umar Hills quest you can't do her companion quest. So I dropped her and did Cernd's quest instead.

Next we resolved Keldorn's quest which actually puts me in an interesting position. Apparently according to a post I read on the Beamdog forums, these two only fight when Edwin is in his male form, and the dialogue between them causing them to fight never triggers when Edwin is a woman. My game has Edwin stuck as a woman due some bug, so I could actually use them both together. I'm going to stick to Korgan as planned, but fun to think about.

I'm doing Rasaad's quest now which I hate all the EE companion quests, so I might regret this.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Ginette Reno posted:

I do remember that quest being annoying. There is some good loot in it though iirc. Don't you get a true seeing 1/day gem? That's pretty nice.

Turn's out when you have two party members with 10th level spells it's super easy hardly an inconvenience. You do in fact get the true seeing 1/day gem which is nice.

Also in other news: Anomens romance dialogues seem to have started triggering 3-4 months of in game time later for some reason. I'm just leaving the game running while I go AFK to let them trigger. I'm hoping Anomen's quest line will advance if I do this. I have literally nothing else to do in Chapter 2/3 except Hexxat, Dorn, and Neera personal quests. I can't do Hexxat or Dorn with Anomen in the party and I don't want to kick him out temporarily while his quest seems to be starting to work. I'm not doing Neera's because gently caress that quest I remember it being incredibly annoying and dangerous.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Best Buy GamersClub had a quiet few days over Christmas but she's back to kick rear end.

Continued doing Rasaads quest and killed these guys for the XP the loot wasn't anything special.

None of the fights were a match for our party and I didn't remember to talk a screenshot until I was about to exit the map and I didn't feel like walking back.

Next we grabbed Hexxat to do her quests. I just let the swords handle most of this dungeon.

Again our over leveled party makes quick work out of every encounter. We quickly wrap up all of Hexxat's SoA content then grab Dorn.

Dorn was nearly dead in this fight and I put the Boots of Speed on him to run away and then a cutscene played and I thought Dorn had died. Turns out the boss died instead and he was saved.

Next up we are going to Spellhold finally.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Yeah I have played for literally thousands of hours and beaten the games dozens of times each and still die to dumb things. But hey give it a try you don’t learn unless you do it. We learn from our failures most of all.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I forgot to mention in my last update that for full disclosure I ended up spawning with the dev console the quest NPC Anomen needed for his quest to progress. I tried all the methods available to me to not have to do that and none of them worked.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Best Buy Gamersclub has a rather short update today.

After ditching Anomen for a while so we could do Dorn and Hexxat quests he is finally back into the main party. The party makes their last minute preperations and clears out their bags of anything they don't need and makes sure they have the things they do need going forward.

Then it is time to set sail for Spellhold and see what adventures await us there.

The vampires play a nice trick and mind control Anomen who had the Mace of Disruption +2. They died anyway, but it was a clever move.

I go and kill this guy for the Book of Infinite Spells, but we intend to go thru the pirate lord route anyway.

We take the pirate lord route because you get much more XP doing it that way.

After a sword fight I lose my Bhaal powers forever.

We'll hopefully meet again someday Imoen.

We stop there for the time being and will do the remainder of Spellhold next time.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Best Buy Gamersclub is adventuring in the underdark.

Why does Spellhold have so many riddles?

Making sure to clear all the content.

We bring Irenicus low, but he manages to escape taking my soul with him.

We decide to party up with the man that brought us to the island and then betrayed us. Surely he will never betray us again.

The primary reason we agree to work with the guy that betrayed us.

We meet a friendly beholder and everyone walks away happy.

The party reaches the underdark and sets out to do some questing. We help out some gnomes because they offer a lead on Irenicus.

Best Buy wastes a time stop because this dude was dead before she ever cast the spell. He was killed instantly be Jans traps.

Anomen decides the middle of a beholder lair is a good time to have a romantic talk. I don't think these are supposed to trigger outside of act 2/3. The beholder lair was something I was dreading. Edwin and Best Buy bother dropped dragons breaths as soon as they loaded in and the beholder and elder orb at the start were dealt with.

Then came a long slow clear of the remaining enemies. I used planetars to clear out most of the enemies but the other elder orb imprisoned my planetar at some point meaning I could not summon a new one in that area. I started using magical swords instead. I read on reddit that a beholder typically only has one cast of death spell memorized, and it turns out this is correct. I would sacrifice one sword to the death spell then send the others to deal with them. Elder Orbs also only had one spell of each of theirs memorized so no swords got imprisoned.

The party is likely to tackle the mind flayer dungeon next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Best Buy Gamersclub is still alive and in the underdark prepared to do the Mind Flayer dungeon but her player came down with a case of playing other games. I fell deep into a BG3 hole followed by a Cyberpunk hole and an Otome game between them. Hopefully get back to this soon.