Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

DeadButDelicious posted:

Do people usually try for Ulgoth's Beard/Durlag's Tower/SoD on ironman runs or just go right through to BG2 because I can imagine that there is a very high rate of death in the TotSC and SoD content - oh hey look a mind flayer aaaaaargh

I've always done Ulgoth's and Durlag's. I've never gotten past "going shopping" in SoD because the only time I saw it was in an ironman a few years back. Something in SoD was coded to make the flaming fist hostile that wouldn't have made them hostile in BG1/TotSC; I forget what.

In any event, it summoned a battle wizard who immediately mazed me for a game over, Arkanis Gath-style.

Debating entering this. Might as well, right?

e: cripes. Yeah, I'll give this a go.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

How good/bad/ugly of an idea would it be to do a blind ironman run without mods?
I never got to play BG1 beyond Candlekeep as a kid because my CDs were too scratched. :smith:

Awful.

It's an extremely fun game even now but you will absolutely eat poo poo to things you need to know about.

Basilisks are probably top of that list but so too are the end bosses of totsc content. And frankly the sarevok fight can be awful too.

At least durlag's absurd traps are telegraphed by everything in the game.

The totsc bosses are just "oh, you can't equip the relevant weapons with your party and don't have much magic? Guess you're gonna die." Or "oh here's an enemy with abilities you've never seen before and which are oddly coded. Have fun turning into a ghast."

Or hell, "you initiated dialogue with your main character with this random creature in the woods? Guess you die."

Don't play Ironman blind