Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

all part of the process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

How were points totaled again? I also swear someone else had Stop Making Sense on their list but I'm not really checking.

Overall, very fun, and seems like a great list for 2023. I really have to watch May December.

Stop making sense probably would have made my all movies seen this year list as it was a great theater experience.

Agreed, people convincing me to watch May December when it’s one I usually would have skipped.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

JUSTICE FOR BOTTOMS!!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

JUSTICE FOR BOTTOMS!!!!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

JUSTICE FOR BOTTOMS!!!!

justice served! it's on the letterboxd list. the points have been updated and the screenshot preview of the list is updated.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Next year I’ll have to try an all movies seen ranking. It’s just a lot easier to pick 10 out of the 30 2023 releases than 10 out of the 130 total. But maybe I’ll try to keep a running list this year.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Bottoms up?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

can we leave the thread open for a few days?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

justice served! it's on the letterboxd list. the points have been updated and the screenshot preview of the list is updated.

Haha, thanks! In seriousness, this was a great thread. Thanks for running it!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Haha, thanks! In seriousness, this was a great thread. Thanks for running it!

my pleasure! i'm glad people had fun. it was fun doing this and learning how hectic it can be to deal with this much info

i also learned a good deal about how to organize data across different sheets and how things can pretty easily get pretty messy. i'll have to take it easier on the software devs at work after this lol.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

can we leave the thread open for a few days?

i believe that's up to MacheteZombie who hasn't gotten around to poking his head in here yet. but i would love for other people from other threads to also pop in to see how things shook out here.

do we think posting an "easy" list in the OP would detract from people actually reading through? i want to show off my little designs but also want to encourage more thread engagement

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

my pleasure! i'm glad people had fun. it was fun doing this and learning how hectic it can be to deal with this much info

i also learned a good deal about how to organize data across different sheets and how things can pretty easily get pretty messy. i'll have to take it easier on the software devs at work after this lol.

i believe that's up to MacheteZombie who hasn't gotten around to poking his head in here yet. but i would love for other people from other threads to also pop in to see how things shook out here.

do we think posting an "easy" list in the OP would detract from people actually reading through? i want to show off my little designs but also want to encourage more thread engagement

you could post a link to the countdown post in the OP

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah agreed, I need to read through this all again. Many films I haven’t heard of (like all that Soviet animation) or ones I seem to be underestimating (past lives and others).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

checkplease posted:

Yeah agreed, I need to read through this all again. Many films I haven’t heard of (like all that Soviet animation) or ones I seem to be underestimating (past lives and others).

some of those Soyuzmultfilm animations can be seen on youtube even, I'm sure of it, as can Allegro Non Troppo (just make sure you watch the 85 min version, and are maybe doing drugs)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ShoogaSlim posted:

another posted a list with no blurbs but a link to a medium article they wrote with blurbs, so i pulled quotes from there

Hah, I thought having just the raw list in order would be easier for spreadsheet purposes so I deliberately didn't pull through any blurbs. Thank you for going to the extra effort!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

josh04 posted:

Hah, I thought having just the raw list in order would be easier for spreadsheet purposes so I deliberately didn't pull through any blurbs. Thank you for going to the extra effort!

Often what people do in the GOTY thread is have their countdown above with blurbs, and at the bottom of their post they put a little EZ list of just the titles and numbers. Seems to help.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

thanks to everyone who participated in the initial goal of giving me personally an easy to browse list of movie recommendations. a good first go around and looks like it's on the radar for people to contribute to a bigger one next year. I want you all to know that I will definitely watch some of them

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Without adding more to people's workload, I think for the next year edition it might be better to have a 2024 releases differentiated from the older releases? That way there's a new theatricals (which ended up happening anyway) but the other lost of older releases could show MotM's and other stuff? Maybe even a top 5 for the older releases?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ah shoot, would have submitted if I'd caught this earlier. Surprised Spider Man got that high a spot given that the film has no ending, nor does it really and doesn't even pretend to.

Seeing Venture Bro's make the 25 cut puts a smile on my face.

For next year, if you try to do one that includes past releases that's gonna be very, very tricky given how random it's gonna be. Like I'm enjoying Sam Altman films atm, but it feels like a crapshoot if someone on here also happens to watch MaCabe & Mrs. Miller. Would probably too heavily favor franchises or directors like Sorescayze without much space for other things.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 2, 2024

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i personally feel like it would be more to the spirit of an end of year list and crowning a "victor" if everyone were limited to only movies that came out in the current year

i'd be happy to try and put together two lists next year, one of the best first-time-watches from previous years and one for the best of the year.

depends on what everyone else thinks, tho.

oh also an interesting stat is that the top 15 movies runtime summed is 2,023 minutes whoaaa

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I liked how it was set up this time. You do get a solid best of the year list, but letting people count first time watches gets you a way more interesting spread. It also means people who didn't watch a ton of new movies don't have to stretch or include movies they weren't really crazy about to fill out all ten spots.

Plus, this will net some interesting data going forward.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

limiting to new movies only or splitting them up would kind of suck. if you need a list of the mainstream canon approved by milquetoast dipshits then maybe go to NYT

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'll definitely leave this open a bit then move it to the goodmine.

Shooga, thanks for this doing this! I noticed you kept the LB list set to private, can you make it public? I like to like lists so I can access them easier and I plan to use it as a watch list lol.

Thanks everyone for participating!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Also I echo the sentiment that it should be new watches over the year and not just 2023 releases.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I liked how it was set up this time. You do get a solid best of the year list, but letting people count first time watches gets you a way more interesting spread. It also means people who didn't watch a ton of new movies don't have to stretch or include movies they weren't really crazy about to fill out all ten spots.

Plus, this will net some interesting data going forward.

Yeah, it's just myopic to only focus movies from the year in question, it creates a false stratification in film literacy while simultaneously the timeline of the art form's cultural importance continues its steady decline. Even integrated and accounting for old film you're still going to probably end up with a top 3 that is totally contemporary due to the majority of posters engaging with film mostly in that way, but imo contemporary films are often overcelebrated and lack staying power once removed from the momentum of their marketing campaigns or streaming deals. Each decade after the 1970s gets steadily worse, less radical, less experimental, more weakly self-justified and bloated. Regardless of whether good stuff comes out in a given year this trend will continue to get worse from here on out as film continues to veer sharply away from being the dominant art form of the previous century and the industrial/logistical capacity for maintaining it continues to unravel. People taking time to discover the medium's past in context with the present will only become more important in that light, as theaters all but dry up and direct-delivery increases dominance. IMO the spirit of these threads is a fun, wide-ranging celebration rather than an outright competition for honors and cultural relevance like the sycophant circus that is the Oscars, etc, and it's okay if that celebration favors new releases in the top spotlight as long as the rest of the history is also included and respected.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
As others stated, I think you can leave it as is and the top 10 will still likely be composed of films from that year just because you need multiple votes for a film to win. And outside of movies of the month or some horror contest, new movies are going to get more views.

And it’s fun seeing old lists too for ideas. Like just I noticed the criterion channel added The Boy Friend which made one of the lists. So now I’ll check that out.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 2, 2024

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Movies rule

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

:hellyeah:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

they're like little flip-books

but they have

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

MacheteZombie posted:

Shooga, thanks for this doing this! I noticed you kept the LB list set to private, can you make it public? I like to like lists so I can access them easier and I plan to use it as a watch list lol.

my pleasure! i updated the letterboxd list to be public :)

sounds like most people prefer to keep the list open to whatever you watched in a given year. works for me! i agree it keeps things more versatile, encourages more participation, and provides an added benefit of opening people up to movies from the past they might have overlooked or never heard of.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

checkplease posted:

As others stated, I think you can leave it as is and the top 10 will still likely be composed of films from that year just because you need multiple votes for a film to win. And outside of movies of the month or some horror contest, new movies are going to get more views.

Yeah, most of my favorites from this year didn't debut this year but the odds of someone else having watched them is a lot slimmer than something that came out in 2023. Not to mention older stuff will probably take a lot of 'top' spots as (I imagine) most folks are inclined to watch older stuff that appeals to ya. Feel like you'll end up with a dozen lists where there's 3-4 overlap between the new releases and then a bunch of wasted single votes for misc. good past stuff.

Ya'll do you, but I think you'd at least want to do both (a top for the last year, and a top for first watched).

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

maybe some more interesting tidbits of info about the top 15

Movies by directors who it is widely speculated might be their last movie
  • The Boy and the Heron
    - dir. Hayao Miyazaki
    - 15 feature films (directed 12)
    - 10 short films
    - career spanning 44 years
    - age 82
  • Killers of the Flower Moon
    - dir. Martin Scorsese
    - 27 feature films (directed 26)
    - 7 short films
    - 15 documentary films
    - career spanning 56 years
    - age 81

Movies that are sequels to existing franchises
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
    - second of three planned movies in the Spider-Verse franchise
    - 14th(??) Spider-Man movie if you count all the ones from Japan and stuff, idk the wikipedia page is a mess
  • Godzilla Minus One
    - 37th Godzilla movie
  • John Wick: Chapter 4
    - fourth movie in the John Wick franchise

Movies based on existing properties but are not sequels

Movies that are sequels or existing properties sorted by age of property
  • Godzilla Minus One
    - 69 years
    - 1954 first movie
  • Barbie
    - 64 years
    - 1959 first Barbie doll
    - 61 years
    - 1962 first Spider-Man comic appearance
  • John Wick: Chapter 4
    - 9 years 👶
    - 2014 first John Wick movie

Movies based on books

Movies with original screenplays
    - writ by Dave Callaham and Phil Lord and Christopher Miller
  • Past Lives
    - writ/dir by Celine Song
  • The Boy and the Heron1
    - writ/dir by Hayao Miyazaki
  • Godzilla Minus One2
    - writ/dir by Takashi Yamazaki
  • Barbie2
    - writ by Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach
  • May December3
    - writ by Alex Mechanik and Samy Burch
  • The Holdovers1
    - writ by David Hemingson
  • Anatomy of a Fall
    -writ by Justine Triet and Arthur Harari
  • John Wick: Chapter 42
    - writ by Michael Finch and Shay Hatten

1 loosely based on an existing property
- Boy and the Heron inspired by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Do_You_Live%3F
- The Holdovers inspired by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlusse
2 based on an existing franchise
3 inspired by true events

My sole, perhaps controversial decision for the most original movie written solely by the director with no co-writer and based on nothing else in existence
  • Past Lives

Movie runtime stats (minutes)
  • 125 Median runtime
  • 135 Average runtime
  • 206 Longest runtime (KotFM)
  • 104 Shortest runtime (Pipeline)
  • 2023 Total runtime

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 2, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

i personally feel like it would be more to the spirit of an end of year list and crowning a "victor" if everyone were limited to only movies that came out in the current year

i'd be happy to try and put together two lists next year, one of the best first-time-watches from previous years and one for the best of the year.

depends on what everyone else thinks, tho.

oh also an interesting stat is that the top 15 movies runtime summed is 2,023 minutes whoaaa

I think two lists is the way to go. When we are only getting less than thirty participants and the tend is towards the recent then the addition of past movies can only morph the list at the end while not seeing in actual placings. For example if I put just one of my older favorite movies onto the list and moved up Spiderverse as a result perhaps then Spiderverse moves up to 3 the former 3 spot moves to 2 and we have a different end of year ranking despite the films in the list changing not at all.

If you are interested in compiling something like an Oscar's list then splitting it into two is preferable. If you are interested in introducing people to new or interesting films of the past or of current year than two list is preferable from the additional space you gain from having twice as many spots. I'd personally prefer to see a top ten with Zone of Interest, the new Hamaguchi or Iron Claw taking up a ninth or tenth place than it being filled with a Scorsese everyone has already seen or some Kubrick masterpiece that tomes have been written on.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 2, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

I think two lists is the way to go. When we are only getting less than thirty participants and the tend is towards the recent then the addition of past movies can only morph the list at the end while not seeing in actual placings. For example if I put just one of my older favorite movies onto the list and moved up Spiderverse as a result perhaps then Spiderverse moves up to 3 the former 3 spot moves to 2 and we have a different end of year ranking despite the films in the list changing not at all.

If you are interested in compiling something like an Oscar's list then splitting it into two is preferable. If you are interested in introducing people to new or interesting films of the past or of current year than two list is preferable from the additional space you gain from having twice as many spots. I'd personally prefer to see a top ten with Zone of Interest, the new Hamaguchi or Iron Claw taking up a ninth or tenth place than it being filled with a Scorsese everyone has already seen or some Kubrick masterpiece that tomes have been written on.

One list won't be an issue as there will be more people next time.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i will still happily do this again next year regardless of participation, but i would def like to see more people get involved, and i think they will :)

and yeah i was thinking of maybe doing two lists this year, but the number of times a movie from a previous year came up was so low it didn't feel meaningful (yet).

for anyone interested, here are all the movies from not 2023:

All movies from 2022
code:
16 points - 3 lists - Suzume
16 points - 2 lists - Skinamarink
13 points - 2 lists - Crimes of the Future
13 points - 2 lists - Pearl
10 points - 1 list  - Avatar: The Way of Water
9  points - 1 list  - Tár
9  points - 1 list  - Pinball: The Man Who Saved the Game
5  points - 1 list  - Everything Everywhere All At Once
4  points - 1 list  - Falcon Lake
3  points - 1 list  - Pinocchio
3  points - 1 list  - M3GAN
3  points - 1 list  - Elvis
3  points - 1 list  - The Banshees of Inisherin
2  points - 1 list  - Glass Onion
1  point  - 1 list  - Master Gardiner
1  point  - 1 list  - The Fabelmans
All movies 2021 thru 2016
code:
10 points - 1 list - Titane (2021)
8  points - 2 lists - The Vast of Night (2019)
8  points - 1 list - One Cut Of The Dead (2017)
4  points - 1 list - Tremble All You Want (2017)
2  points - 1 list - Logan Lucky (2017)
2  points - 1 list - Palm Springs (2020)
1  point  - 1 list - Phantom Thread (2017)
All movies 2015 thru 2010
code:
10 points - 1 list - Locke (2012)
6  points - 1 list - Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! Final Chapter (2015)
4  points - 1 list - The Equalizer (2014)
3  points - 1 list - Frances Ha (2012)
2  points - 1 list - It Follows (2014)
2  points - 1 list - Her (2013)
All movies 2009 thru 2000
code:
10 points - 1 list - In The Mood For Love (2000)
8  points - 1 list - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
6  points - 1 list - Death Proof (2007)
5  points - 1 list - Rachel Getting Married (2008)
5  points - 1 list - Synecdoche, NY (2008)
4  points - 1 list - Almost Famous (2000)
1  point  - 1 list - Ponyo (2008)
1  point  - 1 list - The Booth (2005)
1  point  - 1 list - Linda Linda Linda (2005)
1  point  - 1 list - Donnie Darko (2001)
All movies from the 90s
code:
10 points - 1 list - Hana-Bi (1997)
8  points - 1 list - Clearcut (1991)
7  points - 1 list - The Matrix (1999)
7  points - 1 list - The People Under the Stairs (1991)
6  points - 1 list - Metropolitan (1990)
5  points - 1 list - Taxi (1998)
2  points - 1 list - Ricochet (1991)
All movies from the 80s
code:
8  points - 2 lists - Stop Making Sense (1984)
7  points - 1 list  - 52 Pick-Up (1986)
6  points - 1 list  - Knightriders (1981)
5  points - 1 list  - Police Story Trilogy (1985)
5  points - 1 list  - Nostalghia (1983)
5  points - 1 list  - The Very Late Afternoon of the Faun (1983)
4  points - 1 list  - The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On (1987)
4  points - 1 list  - Lifeforce (1985)
3  points - 1 list  - The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover (1989)
All movies from the 70s
code:
10 points - 1 list  - All That Jazz (1979)
10 points - 1 list  - Allegro Non Troppo (1976)
2  points - 1 list  - Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975)
3  points - 1 list  - The Deer (1974)
9  points - 1 list  - American Graffiti (1973)
7  points - 1 list  - The Wicker Man (1973)
4  points - 1 list  - The Spook Who Sat By The Door (1973)
2  points - 1 list  - Charley Varrick (1973)
1  point  - 1 list  - The Devil's Cleavage (1973)
8  points - 1 list  - Female Prisoner 701: Scorpion (1972)
9  points - 1 list  - The Boy Friend (1971)
6  points - 1 list  - Throw Away Your Books, Rally In The Streets (1971)
All movies from the 60s and before
code:
9 points - 1 list - 12 Angry Men (1957)
8 points - 1 list - Floating Weeds (1959)
7 points - 1 list - The Witch In Love (1966)
5 points - 1 list - Night Creatures (1962)
3 points - 1 list - The Great Silence (1968)
2 points - 1 list - Harakiri (1962)
1 point  - 1 list - Day of Wrath (1943)
These are the most popular movies not from 2023 voted by more than one person, in order
code:
16 points - 3 lists - Suzume (2022)
16 points - 2 lists - Skinamarink (2022)
13 points - 2 lists - Crimes of the Future (2022)
13 points - 2 lists - Pearl (2022)
8  points - 2 lists - The Vast of Night (2019)
8  points - 2 lists - Stop Making Sense (1984)
if anyone has any suggestions about how to make any of the above look more interesting by combining it a certain way, i'm open to all suggestions!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

For Suzume at least the movie didn't get a wide release in the US until 23.

I also wouldn't count on more participants, intentions and reality rarely meet.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the oscars are trash, we don't need to create a goon facsimile of them, their fartstink can be deduced from thousands of miles away

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Oscars being bad is not relevant. You're letting your hatred of a horse race cloud your judgement of a purely voluntary celebration of film.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

starting the year off with a positive attitude, i see!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

As noted earlier, the first SA GOTY had 59 participants. The second year had 143.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

what specific date would you prefer i use?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

As noted earlier, the first SA GOTY had 59 participants. The second year had 143.

if we build it, they will come. i was looking through the tviv threads and those have grown in size as well.

just remember: