Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Here’s my list for 2023 films I saw:

10. Godzilla Minus One- Big G is truly monstrous here again. It’s a very anime style film, but those Godzilla moments are truly scary. Also it has a human story with relatable and emotional characters again.

9. BlackBerry: there’s a lot of movies this year celebrating corporate achievements like Nike or Tetris. This is the only one about it all falling apart and the only one with Glen Howerton yelling for an hour.

8. John Wick Chapter 4 fun stuff. It’s just phenomenal action set piece one after another and a nice ending for the series.

7. Poor ThingsI love how weird this was and it’s probably the funniest movie I saw this year. It gets a little repetitive for me, but weird stuff like this is always appreciated.

6. How to Blow Up a Pipeline- it’s a heist movie about climate change and well blowing up a pipeline. Really well done how it creates tension and makes you feel the act of self defense.

5. Asteroid City- this is such a dense film but I like how wild it gets with all its choices and just goes for it with the over the top design. It’s a nice quirky film on grief and moving on.

4. Killers of the Flower Moon- incredibly crafted American tale of greed and treachery. That long run time just flew by for me and some of those scenes have just stuck with me since.

3. The Boy and the Heron- Miyazaki just crushes it as always in this beautifully animated and weird contemplative film about how to live and keep going in the face of tragedy. I probably wrote the most about this one in my Letterboxd. I’m not sure where it lines up in my Miyazaki rankings but I look forward to seeing it again.

2. Oppenheimer- I saw this one twice in theaters which is rare for me now. The editing and direction are just perfection and really sell the often confusing and conflicting thoughts of Oppenheimer. We need more cool scientist films like this.

1. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse- the opening 20 minutes were probably my most “holy poo poo wow” moments in a theater this year and then it just kept going. It’s the most impressive and interesting animation I have seen in a long time, and while it does use this to create some awe inspiring action that other comic book films wish they could achieve, the movie is also not afraid to slow down and have quiet character moments with Gwen and Miles mom and others.

Here are some others that were important to me this year. My dog of 10 years suddenly died and these are the ones that connected to my grief.

a. Departuresa wonderful film about how love for our departed ones lets us connect to them still in death. Plus it has a Joe Hisaishi cello score.

b. Three Colors Blue this is one of the best looking films I’ve ever seen. It’s an interesting contrast to Departures in that here it’s about finding new life after the loved ones have passed.

c. Inland Empire- this was one of those unexpected powers of cinema and art. There is a scene where a lady is dying and a homeless person finds the dying lady on the street. The homeless woman holds a lighter in front of the dying lady’s eyes to help her have peace as she passes on. I watched the life leave my dog’s eyes and hoped he felt the same level of peace as shown in the movie. Films are a great gift.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This is fun stuff. Hopefully other goons see they are missing out so it gets bigger next year.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

drk posted:

This thread inspired me to make a letterboxd account, so I will post next year

Yeah it’s a cool little app, use it how you will.

I just wish for this I could have figured out how to take all my films from 2023 I watched and automatically make a list to then sort how I wanted. Instead I added them one at a time. I assume I’m missing something.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Spiderverse 2 was undoubtedly thrilling, noisy, and beyond creative, with an unbelievably excellent and bold ending, but it just lacked the coherent nature of the first for me. Still brilliant, just "top 50" brilliant in my eyes rather than top ten.

I liked the added character depth, but understand preferring the first for its complete package. Also what’s up danger moment.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gripweed posted:

I knew it, All That Jazz is the number one movie of 2023!

It might make my top 5 all time.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

How were points totaled again? I also swear someone else had Stop Making Sense on their list but I'm not really checking.

Overall, very fun, and seems like a great list for 2023. I really have to watch May December.

Stop making sense probably would have made my all movies seen this year list as it was a great theater experience.

Agreed, people convincing me to watch May December when it’s one I usually would have skipped.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Next year I’ll have to try an all movies seen ranking. It’s just a lot easier to pick 10 out of the 30 2023 releases than 10 out of the 130 total. But maybe I’ll try to keep a running list this year.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah agreed, I need to read through this all again. Many films I haven’t heard of (like all that Soviet animation) or ones I seem to be underestimating (past lives and others).

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
As others stated, I think you can leave it as is and the top 10 will still likely be composed of films from that year just because you need multiple votes for a film to win. And outside of movies of the month or some horror contest, new movies are going to get more views.

And it’s fun seeing old lists too for ideas. Like just I noticed the criterion channel added The Boy Friend which made one of the lists. So now I’ll check that out.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 2, 2024

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

distortion park posted:

It's interesting that Barbie and Oppenheimer both made a lot of lists and didn't top many at all. Might just be because so many people saw them due to all the hype.

Oppenheimer was number 4 in this threads final list. So depends on how you define top I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

therattle posted:

I stupidly missed out on this (didn't realise there was a deadline) but am posting my top 10 anyway:

10. Monster
9. Passages
8. The Holdovers
7. Barbie
6. Anatomy of a Fall
5. Past Lives
4. The Eight Mountains
3. All Of Us Strangers
2. Poor Things
1. Zone of Interest

I feel like 10-7 are broadly on a par; then 6-4; then 1-3. It's so hard to separate the top three because they are all brilliant but so, so different to each other.

Honourable Mentions:
Totem
One Fine Morning
Oppenheimer
Fallen Leaves
Perfect Days
Housekeeping for Beginners

Good stuff. I need to watch Monster still as I’ve enjoyed the 3 other Kore-eda films I’ve seen.