Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I stupidly missed out on this (didn't realise there was a deadline) but am posting my top 10 anyway:

10. Monster
9. Passages
8. The Holdovers
7. Barbie
6. Anatomy of a Fall
5. Past Lives
4. The Eight Mountains
3. All Of Us Strangers
2. Poor Things
1. Zone of Interest

I feel like 10-7 are broadly on a par; then 6-4; then 1-3. It's so hard to separate the top three because they are all brilliant but so, so different to each other.

Honourable Mentions:
Totem
One Fine Morning
Oppenheimer
Fallen Leaves
Perfect Days
Housekeeping for Beginners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Oh crap, I forgot that I saw Barry Lyndon and Embrace of the Serpent this year, which would have really made choosing a list difficult.

distortion park posted:

It's interesting that Barbie and Oppenheimer both made a lot of lists and didn't top many at all. Might just be because so many people saw them due to all the hype.

I think they are great movies in their own ways but they both failed to really move me. I like films that make me feel something.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Escobarbarian posted:

Monster is one of his best, imo. After Broker (while still a good movie) had me like “yeah Kore-eda I get it now” Monster really felt like something new and a big return to form

I thought Broker was very good but Monster is even better.