Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Limiting myself to films that got wide release this year:

1.) Past Lives - The first romance film I ever legitimately loved gets the top spot.
2.) The Holdovers - Instant addition to the Christmas movie canon alongside Little Women from a few years ago.
3.) Suzume - The movies from this studio are loving gorgeous.
4.) The Boy and the Heron - Miyazaki never misses, and although this isn't in my top five of his films, it's still tremendous.
5.) Killers of the Flower Moon - A masterpiece that didn't fully land with me, but I'm still thinking about those last two scenes.
6.) Barbie - Would have been #1 if not for some misfires in the middle and end of the film, but the beginning was literally perfect.
7.) Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Doesn't live up to the first film but still excellent.
8.) Showing Up - This is what all of those twee indie movies aspire to achieve.
9.) Poor Things - Not my favorite Lanthimos film, but it might be his funniest.
10.) May December - An uncomfortable film with some world-class performances.

Other films seen: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Asteroid City, Bottoms, Creed III, Dream Scenario, Ferrari, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Godzilla Minus One, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, The Iron Claw, Karen Carpenter: Starving for Perfection, The Marvels, Napoleon, Oppenheimer, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Theatre Camp, Wonka

Films I still plan to see but haven't yet: Beau is Afraid, Fallen Leaves, The Zone of Interest

EDIT: Thank you for doing this thread! I want to suggest that the deadline for this should be the end of January 2024. Unlike with the games thread, so many films don't get wide release until the very end of the year or the start of the next year. Of the six 2023 films I still want to see, only two have been released where I live (one of which was a couple of days ago), and I live in a relatively large U.S. city. Also, as we see films on our to-watch list, should we edit our original post or make a new post if our list changes? What's easier for you?

surf rock fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
As requested, head's up to OP that I've updated my post after seeing Ferrari and Poor Things. The former didn't make my list, but I've added Poor Things as my #9. That bumped May December down one spot and dropped John Wick Chapter 4 off my list. Thanks!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Absolutely loved the thread, thank you for organizing it!