Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thanks to LetterboxdI was actually able to do this, normally I can't remember what I was doing this morning let alone what I've watched this year. I hadn't watched many films in a long time (a while ago I watched half of Molly's Game [which I now think is a decent film], and something about it just made me feel kind of weird about the whole idea of films as a form of entertainment/art) so it was easy to have a great time catching up on highly acclaimed works.

10) The Fabelmans (2022) - Spielberg still has it. A pure distillation of all the things that takes his films a step above the typical big budget fare. If you think about the plot it's really not at all interesting but Spielberg and Kamiński could make an hour in the supermarket entertaining.

9) Palm Springs (2020) - This sort of film used to be a lot more common, an extremely well made, lightweight, entertaining romcom which comes in under 90 minutes. When this is the sort of thing you want to watch, you can't do better.

8) Frances Ha (2012) - I thought I would hate this but in the end it was incredibly endearing. A much more interesting twist on the typical coming of age story told with humor and compassion. None of the characters in this would want to be friends with me which makes me kind of sad.

7) The Killer (2023) - Fincher on Fincher, I found this funny, self aware and perfectly crafted. The sound design was a standout for me.

6) Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022) - I don't have anything to really add here beyond what has been said elsewhere. Of all the new films I've seen this year this is the one I predict will have the most influence over the next decade.

5) Metropolitan (1990) - I love Jane Austen so was incredibly happy when I eventually realized that this was an homage. Fun and empathetic towards some terrible people. I don't understand why most of the actors in this didn't have more success.

4) Killers of the Flower Moon (2023) - These actors on screen together couldn't really go wrong and Scorsese uses them to tell us a story which both is important and more significantly feels important while you're watching. Unlike I lot of the other films on this list is kind of flabby and overlong but I think it works here.

3) Past Lives (2023) - This is kind of sentimental but I loved how carefully observed it was and how the finely tuned the final act was. Made me tear up in a happy way.

2) 12 Angry Men (1957) - I'd seen a stage adaption of this already, and was slightly surprised by how they were basically identical. Over 50 years old now but it is more gripping and better paced than almost anything else, I don't see how you could watch this and not be engaged.

1) In The Mood For Love (2000) - this worked for me in so many ways. The story, visuals and music combine to create an unforgettable atmosphere. Absolutely beautiful.

Also rans were Tar, Licorice Pizza, Asteroid City, The Green Knight, "Paris, Texas", The Departed, Sicario, Mission: Impossible and The Godfather.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Some great lists here, my watchlist is growing at an unsustainable rate

ShoogaSlim posted:

TÁR (2022)
directed by Todd Field

keeping with the kubrick theme, finding out that the director of this played the piano player in eyes wide shut

wtf, that's perfect

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thanks ShoogaSlim for running this, was a good exercise to think about what I valued in films and a great way to add to my watchlist!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

therattle posted:

I stupidly missed out on this (didn't realise there was a deadline) but am posting my top 10 anyway:

10. Monster
9. Passages
8. The Holdovers
7. Barbie
6. Anatomy of a Fall
5. Past Lives
4. The Eight Mountains
3. All Of Us Strangers
2. Poor Things
1. Zone of Interest

I feel like 10-7 are broadly on a par; then 6-4; then 1-3. It's so hard to separate the top three because they are all brilliant but so, so different to each other.

Honourable Mentions:
Totem
One Fine Morning
Oppenheimer
Fallen Leaves
Perfect Days
Housekeeping for Beginners

It's interesting that Barbie and Oppenheimer both made a lot of lists and didn't top many at all. Might just be because so many people saw them due to all the hype.