Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I know these aren't precisely 2023 releases, but this is my list of 'new' films I saw in the last year that left enough of an impression on me to be on my list:

10.Vast of Night - Great lead performances of teenagers being awkward and excited and curious. Although it really starts to slip in the back half, it does so much right that it still managed to stay on my list.

9.Suzume - This is Makoto Shinkai still doing what he does rather well, but this also shows a bit of growth, as I think he’s doing a better job in crafting the depth his earlier movies only hint at.

8.A Haunting in Venice - I feel like this is Branagh’s Poirot movies finally settling into their groove; it’s silly, it’s a little over-the-top, and ends up being a lot of fun. I think this one may be the best-shot of his as well. I’d also give credit to the screenwriters for doing a good job modernizing the story to avoid what would be the creepier (in a bad way) aspects.

7.Past Lives - A genuinely thoughtful and moving film. It is rare to see something that gives such a strong impression of its creator, and I do hope to see more from her. I feel like I didn’t like this quite as much as most people I’ve heard mention it, but it is by no means bad.

6.The Boy and The Heron - One more Miyazaki film that hearkens back to his earlier work while looking contemporary. I really loved the character design.

5.Scrapper - A high-quality portrait of a life where all the characters feel real. Charming and sweet without forcing its emotional qualities.

4.Oppenheimer - I’m not sure I liked all the mythologizing of the main character, but the spectacle is amazing.

3.Barbie - This is a rare film that can grab the attention both of those who see this as the latest Greta Gerwig movie, and those who see this as an unexpectedly creative movie about a popular toy.

2.Anatomy of a Fall - Perhaps the best-constructed film I saw this year, with amazing performances from everyone including the dog, and one of the best scenes ever put to film. I found the story just a bit thin, but it’s really not about its story.

1.Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret - It’s hard to imagine a better adaptation of a book that’s several decades old that still feels relevant and believably modern. The source material explains part of that, but Fremon Craig gets some amazing performances. This is a film that made me understand its characters, and it's exactly what the best movies should do. I only watched this because I was sort of stuck for a few hours waiting in a town with nothing to do, and this seemed to be the best choice at the theater, and it ended up being my favorite of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, I feel like Are You There God really could be in contention for awards, but it was released early in the year and the subject matter/apparent audience made a lot of people overlook it.