Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It was a hell of a year for me and movies, and it was super difficult to narrow down my list to just ten. This order is roughly correct but if I think about it more I'll probably second-guess myself so I'm getting it out there and just saying that all ten of these have become some of my favorites of all time. In reverse order...

10. Linda Linda Linda (2005)

A movie that understands the sheer exuberant joy of youth. Nobuhiro Yamashita's gentle-yet-exhilarating coming-of-age story about a group of high school girls who start a band may appear simple on the surface, but it perfectly captures a moment in time where as teenagers something as small as the desire to perform at a school talent show can seem like life or death. It is a series of snapshots of youthful friendship, awkwardness, and drama, a story told not through major beats but through quiet, intimate moments, the little things we remember as we grow older. It's really wonderful.

9. Harakiri (1962)

Letterboxd's number one movie and for good reason - it's the movie that does everything and it does it perfectly. It tells a slow story that will leave you gripped as each new wrinkle unfolds, and it pays off with action that movies afterwards are all trying to top to this day. I was absolutely enraptured throughout. It has drama, comedic elements, action, and a powerful and moving story about those left behind by the elites and society's old-fashioned ideals about "honor".

8. The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover (1989)

Viciously disgusting and spectacularly beautiful in equal measure, the hypnotic music and scene-to-scene costume changes mixed with the excess present in every set make it unforgettable, and that's before one of the best endings I've ever seen. It's also got one of the late Michael Gambon's most enthralling performances.

7. Almost Famous (2000)

The Bootleg Cut is three hours long and even after it was done I only wanted more. This movie understands young heartache and the life of being swept up in a whirlwind of celebrity - or, well, Almost-Celebrity. It unfolds slowly and tells a story of finding independence and your voice in a world full of people who lift you up while you do, and it does it through contemplative and maddeningly charming vignettes and with some great music along the way. A movie of endless possibility. I should watch the theatrical cut some day but I don't regret watching the extended version.

6. Stop Making Sense (1984)

I can't get over the thrill this movie has at its own existence. It's a marvel, a concert film that is just happy to be alive, a band that can't believe they're able to do what they do, a supersonic shot of adrenaline. Demme subtly uses the footage to introduce us to every member of the band & tells a story about David Byrne's love of his art. It screams joy from the rooftops. Also, I knew about David Byrne's big suit but I was not prepared for it to be THAT big.

5. Bottoms (2023)

In a year where I watched some great comedies, this one reigned supreme. Rachel Sennot is the funniest actress today and Ayo isn't far behind. They're such lovable losers & the set design and gags every minute mixed with sharp-as-a-whip queer camp had me howling. The black comedy is on point and the energy is palpable. One of my favorite theater experiences ever.

4. The Matrix (1999)

More than a technical marvel, more than an utter revelation in special effects, The Matrix really is the powerful trans allegory everyone suggests it is. It's a movie about how difficult it is to be yourself, but how worth it it really is. Pretty funny how the popular perception of The Matrix is almost all due to Reloaded.

I'll never forget the feelings "My name is Neo." made me feel. God drat I love the Wachowskis.

3. One Cut Of The Dead (2017)

A movie that loves movies. It's best experienced blind, but it delivered both on its premise and on another level that I've wanted a movie to give me for a long time. You will watch this movie and hoot and holler. It's absolutely invigorating and so unabashedly pro-art. "Low" art is truly the best. This is why I love horror movies.

2. American Graffiti (1973)

I can't stop thinking about how this movie takes place over the course of a single night. At some point while watching I realized how special this movie was, how single moments in our youth can still dig into us years later, how little we really know about the future and what light and what darkness waits for us just around the corner. I sobbed my eyes out at a scene that wasn't particularly tragic because the overwhelming melancholy present underneath the neon lights, fast cars, and music cut deep. This George Lucas guy might be going places!

1. Titane (2021)

I haven't been able to get this movie out of my head since watching it. It claws inside my heart and begs to be seen. It's grotesquely gory and yet so powerfully evocative and symbolic, twisting sex and gender and life, death, and love into a terrifying and beautiful relentless shocker. The ending made me cry. No other movie this year made me feel quite as alive as this one, and the competition was stiff.

If you want to see my full top 50 of the year I have a Letterboxd list. Like I say, tough year full of great art, but this feels right.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Is the soundtrack by The Blue Hearts? Love those guys, it was a horrible day when they got taken off Spotify. Shout-out Kaiji for exposing a lot of filthy gaijin like myself to their music.

Songs by the Blue Hearts, including the song the movie is named after, are heavily featured as a plot point and on the soundtrack, yeah. The girls form a cover band to play them at the school festival.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

This is great; I'm sure the top ten will all be 2023-heavy just based on what I remember of others' lists but I liked that it was open to all years. This was a really cool idea that I hope to see come back next year!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Past Lives was in my best of the year, even if it missed out on my top ten. The bar scene is one of the most beautiful conversations of the year and while I don't put much stock in the Oscars I truly hope this one makes a splash. Celine Song is one to watch.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Spiderverse 2 was undoubtedly thrilling, noisy, and beyond creative, with an unbelievably excellent and bold ending, but it just lacked the coherent nature of the first for me. Still brilliant, just "top 50" brilliant in my eyes rather than top ten.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

How were points totaled again? I also swear someone else had Stop Making Sense on their list but I'm not really checking.

Overall, very fun, and seems like a great list for 2023. I really have to watch May December.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

JUSTICE FOR BOTTOMS!!!!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

justice served! it's on the letterboxd list. the points have been updated and the screenshot preview of the list is updated.

Haha, thanks! In seriousness, this was a great thread. Thanks for running it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

:hellyeah: