Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool! Movies are where it's at, good idea for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Escobarbarian posted:

04. In a Lonely Place (1950)
Atypical for a Hollywood noir of this era, but also one of the best examples I’ve seen. Some really thoughtful themes, especially with regards to how people will bend over backwards to accommodate toxic masculinity - talk about ahead of its time, drat.

I watched that for the first time last year, so good! Just incredible noir that hasn't aged a day, Bogart's best too maybe.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Can't go wrong with Sergio, saw Duck You Sucker for the first time recently. My fav is probably Once Upon A Time in the West.

That is fun that GTA3 referenced The Cook, that game sure rules.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Berserk rules for sure. In general 90s anime is a golden age indeed!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

smug n stuff posted:

9. Lost Highway (1997) – David Lynch: Patricia Arquette is so cool.

For sure! Just rewatched True Romance too. Lost Highway is one of my favorite movies, have shown everyone I know that clip of Bill Pullman playing sax.

Recommendations, sure, all of David Lynch if you haven't, especially Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Mulholland Drive, and Twin Peaks. Repo Man of course. The Killer (1989), Scarface (1983), Body Double, American Pop, The Castle of Cagliostro, every Coen brothers and Tarantino movie if you haven't. And every Miyazaki. Also Breakin' (& 2), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990), Do the Right Thing, Suspiria (1977), Infernal Affairs, Clerks, King of Comedy, Murder My Sweet, Rock 'n' Roll High School, and Wrath of Khan.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 23, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Here are my honorable mentions, some standout movies I watched this year. Letterboxd is helpful as always here. Some rewatches of note, some new to me oldies, and a few 2023 picks.

For my top 10 list I'll post soon, that'll be a mix of old and new too, but all new to me.

The honorable mentions:

Dream Scenario - Nic Cage is just the best. He's delighted me and my friends for decades, his higher quality B-movies are always a treat to see, and his more prestigious movies like this are a delight as well. He is just the king. Anyways this movie rules, and he delivers a great performance.

Outlaw Johnny Black - Speaking of ruling, Michael Jai White is such a "class up the joint" guy in low budget B action movies. And this opus of his is a great fun zany take on the spaghetti Western. Thumbs up.

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero - Orange Piccolo is the best, this movie is so fun. I haven't seen Super myself, but have seen the movies, and this is just a really good time.

Red Rock West - One of my favs, Nic Cage, Dennis Hopper, Lara Flynn Boyle, a cool neo-noir ride from John Dahl. Always goes down smooth.

God of Cookery - Stephen Chow is the greatest comedy actor ever, and he has delighted in so many movies, what a run. This is one of his finest.

The Maltese Falcon - Bogart is the king of noir, and this is where he really got rolling. Doesn't hurt it's based on one of the most influential hard boiled crime books.

Earth Girls Are Easy - Finally saw this after being curious for years. It is an 80s delight.

Duck You Sucker - my first time seeing this one, such a great flick. Sergio Leone Western with Ennio Morricone music. Nuff said.

Out of Sight - Hadn't seen this since I was a tween sneaking into the theater. This time around I appreciated it a lot more, plus I'm a big Elmore Leonard fan now.

The Boy and the Heron - Thank you Miyazaki! While my favorite movie is still his first, The Castle of Cagliostro, his latest is quite cool too. Just great to see 2D animation like this on the big screen.

Django - I usually go dub for spaghetti Westerns, but rewatching this particular one in Italian really added to it. Such a classic.

Live and Let Die - One of the great theme songs, and one of the quite cool movies. If you enjoy fun shlock, this still delivers.

The Guard - a bit like Banshees of Inisherin meets Hot Fuzz. Cool movie.

Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack - Known to the fans as GMK, this is the ultimate Godzilla film. Rewatched a lot of G flicks this year with friends, lotta fun.

And an honorable shout-out to every Godzilla movie, including Minus One of course. Also rewatched the original from 1954, that holds up, such a masterpiece, even better than the latest one for me. Any way you rank them, god bless Godzilla.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 23, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ShoogaSlim posted:

2. how do we deal with tie scores? i'm sure there's plenty of data in the games thread where hundreds(?) of people are voting. but in a small poll like in this thread, there are a handful of movies with the same score. is that normal? would that just be considered a "tie" for the slot? it would result in a very wonky outcome and i'm wondering if there's an elegant way around that? i suppose you'd have to introduce some additional variable to wiggle the score around somehow. idk...

There are a lot of ways people do that on forum things like this. A couple I know to tie-break are based on how many lists a title is on, what number ranked they are on lists, stuff like that. And if there are still ties after stuff like that, I think it's cool to include some ties.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We're simpatico there raven77, I've even got an Equalizer film on my list. Highly recommend checking out more Godzilla too, I especially recommend the 90s movies starting with say Biollante and the 2000s ones like GMK from 2001.

Here's my list:

10. Pathaan - Indian cinema's answer to MGS, and I was happy to see Hideo Kojima liked it. Over the top and majestic in a way that does remind me of Sergio Leone too, just a treat.

9. Ricochet - Here's some early 90s Denzel (and Lithgow!), by the director of Highlander. Just a zany insane spectacle of a slick crime thriller film, so wonderful.

8. Sympathy For the Devil - Very underrated new Cage vehicle, a thriller that delivers exactly what it promises. And this is the beauty of Cage's reign, each year he has the hit with credibility, and he has a more shlocky genre movie that is genuinely more special than it seems on the surface. And he delivers 100% either way.

7. The Equalizer - Denzel is so great, and I liked this way more than I thought I would. It's poignant and works as a drama, on top of action and stuff. That somber badassery, it touches me. 2 also continued a lot of that special something with a less compelling main plot, and I look forward to seeing 3.

6. Taxi (1998) - Where has this been all my life? The French DJ hip hop soundtrack, the fun rowdy Ali G-esque (via France) cool street guys, the HK movie style wildness, just a joy. Slick fun comedy action caper with cool driving. It's a genuinely perfect film.

5. Killers of the Flower Moon - Martin Scorsese is no stranger to greatness, and here's another really cool movie. He tackles such harrowing subject matter with his trademark bits of black humor and offkilter non-melodramatic approach. This movie is just insane. Flies by too. Really really good, tough to describe, it's just such a strange and well done feat.

4. 52 Pick-Up - Elmore Leonard, lean mean cool payback crime kind of thing. Just insanely good. Elmore was the king of cool.

3. Shin Kamen Rider - Kamen Rider is a great series over the decades, and this is one of its finest films. Highly recommend. Think sci-fi Dracula Spider-Man guy on a motorcycle. A tight flashy action drama. For the record I'd say Kamen Rider OOO is a great TV series to pick up too.

2. Pinball: The Man Who Saved the Game - This is such a gem. What I like about it, it's a feel good film and even a meet cute, and it's just fresh. It's engaging, it's informative of a fun niche subject, it's just a bit of a unique mixture that makes me happy to be a fan of movies.

1. John Wick 4 - What an action epic, so awesome. A film this high in action scenes could get dull (I'm looking at you Indiana Jones 5), but not here. This is The Godfather of John Wick movies, it is just more operatic, more stakes, more fighting (believe it or not), it is the most John Wick film yet. Also Donnie Yen is incredible, Keanu, Lance, Ian, what a titanic cast delivering the goods. I want 5.

Here's to the stunt performers, choreographers, drivers, and heroes of cinema all around.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Do you like the Miami Vice show? Some terrific stuff, even has some interesting directors like Abel Ferarra. I'm a big fan, especially the first 2 or 3 seasons and some highlights after that. Had a great rewatch of Heat lately too, looking forward to Heat 2, heard Mann on a podcast talking about that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gaius Marius posted:

You know I had no idea Ferarra worked on the TV show but it absolutely tracks, Mann's work and King of New York share a lot of DNA. Never seen the show though, thought about grabbing abox set but i'm not really a TV guy and I think it would be a bad time. Hyped as hell for HEAT 2, film is going to be insane, and hearing Mann talk on podcasts the man is ready to go back to the world of Heat.

It's on tubi or freevee for some of it, for a sample anyway. I don't think it'd be a bad time, you might dig a lot of the eps as a Mann fan (and since you like the movie). The Home Invaders (s1 ep 19) by Ferrara for example is like a tight short film. The pilot is like a movie pretty much, and it gets even better when Edward James Olmos joins a bit later. Very cinematic and unique show for the time.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MacheteZombie posted:

Like I said my 2023 list is weak as hell and I appreciate this thread giving me some solid 2023 recs to make sure I get to in 2024 lol.

Good stuff! Also I don't think that's too low, I've seen 30 something 2023 released movies too. About 150 movies watched total.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you get results Gripweed. You go in there and get the job done, Godzilla, Bob Fosse, excellent stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Awesome stuff, thanks again! Movies rule oh yes. And this is better than the Oscar, Marty.