Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Okay, like Escobarbarian I've made a list of my favorite 10 non-new-release first-viewings (which shouldn't count towards the poll). Fairly new to watching Good Movies, so lots of low-hanging fruit - it turns out there are a lot of amazing films out there! With that - please recommend movies you think I'll like given this list!

10. Scanners (1981) – David Cronenberg: I started getting into Cronenberg last year with the release of Crimes of the Future. While Scanners is definitely not the “best” of his that I’ve seen, it’s the one that’s stuck with me the most – obviously the scanning sequences are standout, but the whole vibe of this desolate Canadian landscape is just great.

9. Lost Highway (1997) – David Lynch: Patricia Arquette is so cool.

8. All About Eve (1950) – Joseph Mankiewicz: At least three of the films on this list are movies about making art in some way (and my current #1 new release is, too), so I guess I just like that stuff. To torture a metaphor, the web of relationships and tensions turn into a remarkable tapestry of resentment and power.

7. Paper Moon (1973) – Peter Bogdanovich: RIP to the piece of poo poo Ryan O’Neal, you made some real good movies. The monologue Trixie gives trying to get Addie back in the car is great. Too bad about Bogdanovich screwing things up with Polly Platt, it would have been cool if he could have kept making movies this good but I guess having sex with young actresses was too tempting.

6. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) – George Roy Hill: Newman and Redford are, incredibly, more charming here than in The Sting. The bit where they’re trying to learn Spanish so they can rob Bolivian banks is the funniest scene I’ve seen this year.

5. Old Joy (2006) – Kelly Reichardt: Having grown up in Portland, nostalgia maybe influences my opinion on this movie, but it’s just such a beautiful, relatable meditation on friendship. Loved the long segments with Daniel London just driving and listening to lefty newsradio.

4. Stranger than Paradise (1984) – Jim Jarmusch: First Jarmusch I’ve seen, besides The Dead Don’t Die, which didn’t inspire a ton of confidence - but watching some old Siskel & Ebert reruns, this sounded good, and it really was! Remarkably heartfelt for how cool everyone is (or at least, how cool they’re trying to be). Also hilarious - in particular I’m thinking of the scene in the movie theater.

3. Millennium Actress (2001) – Satoshi Kon: Incredibly creative animation, so many breathtaking transitions from “movie” to “real life,” as the two dance, drawing together, then apart, and on and on. Maybe my favorite movie about movies?

2. Black Narcissus (1947) – Emeric Pressburger & Michael Powell: This is also the year I discovered the Archers, and I was blown away. A thrilling study of sexuality, repression, and religion. Gorgeous sets and costumes, the exactly right number of extreme close-ups. Which leads to…

1. The Red Shoes (1948) – Emeric Pressburger & Michael Powell: So, I discovered the Archers this year by randomly attending a screening of this without knowing anything about it besides the basic premise and that it had a high average rating on Letterboxd. Amazing melodrama, obviously the central ballet sequence is astounding (how did they do this in ‘48???), and more than anything, the movie is a gripping exploration of art-making. Do you have to be a bit unwell to create something beautiful? Or is it the other way around?

Honorable mentions: The Lion in Winter, Sunrise: a Song of Two Humans, Alice In Wonderland (the Disney original), Romeo+Juliet, Eastern Promises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU