Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

nice. barely had to lift a finger. let the harvest begin

also placeholder for list which will go here soon.
I'll be self-limiting myself to 2023ish movies just because. no-limits is cool too
(edit: posted it further down instead)

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Ok, here's mine. You'll see why I was wanting a thread like this, I end up giving a lot of time to more mainstream stuff and don't do enough digging around.

10 - Phantom Thread (2017)
I'm allowing myself one not-2023 movie here but I'll put it at 10. I've never felt the most important relationship in my life, to my partner now and forever, be so "seen" by a piece of media before. Now, I need to clarify this, because she's never poisoned me with mushrooms before (although the looming threat of a slow death from anti-freeze is always close to her lips). But this movie accepts, understands, respects that intimate relationships can take a form that appears, from the outside, to be complete insanity. A well-meaning fly on the wall might look at what is happening and just see abuse, posting or quoting :sever: until the E/N thread is shut. But you cannot know how the dynamic feels from within, how fulfilling it can be to have someone that has completely experienced your full range, your best and your worst, and vice versa for them - and understand that at least some of those worst things will very likely always be there - and they might even get worse. Merging completely with another human in that Giger-esque manner means you both have to work out - well whatever, you work out - processes of resolution, therapies, acknowledgement, understanding, periodically poisoning each other. The moment of honesty at the end, when they both see and accept the horror of each other and can laugh and love about it - I was stunned. The on-screen reflection of what I'd always felt about myself and my partner led to some great conversations with her and I feel like even managed to deepen what I already thought was a bottomless commitment to making us work, through thick and thin.

9. The Killer
This movie was not the greatest but had that one loving hell of a fight scene that I can use to spit on every John Wick movie, and I definitely rate it above the majority of the lesser 2023 movies I saw.

8. The Creator
Sci-fi is my fuckin bag baby, they did a wonderful job making this all look convincing on a significantly lower budget than all the Star Wars and Marvel fare. It wasn't the best script and what the hell was up with the weird-rear end perspective on that ship in the sky (is it in space? is it hovering about every city? it seems to be all these at once) but when they fuckin died in each others arms in the climax of the film I absolutely burst into tears. I couldn't think of a better way for me and my aforementioned insane partner to go out and I hope we embrace on an exploding capital ship one day and I hope I take the last few seconds to tell her about our amazing robot child.

7. David Holmes - The Boy Who Lived
I love all the projects and the career path Radcliffe has taken since Harry Potter and I actually feel like watching this movie I understand why his career looks how it does. He wants to do justice to this amazing, amazing person and the guilt and sorrow he and his friends feel. An incredibly affecting work, please watch it.

6. Killers of the Flower Moon
Great movie and kind of an interesting partner to the recent Watchmen series for how it shone a light on the Tulsa massacres. I feel like every lovely loving thing in history should be brought back up and shoved in our faces on a regular basis. Please someone do it for the Australian Aboriginal people.

5. The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (and the other Wes Anderson Roald Dahl shorts)
This is the best thing Wes Anderson has done in ages and I'd really like short-form film given centre-stage more often. I need to watch it again. And again. And again.

4. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
They did it again. Come on guys - one more and you'll have the best super-hero and the best animated trilogy of all time.

3. Oppenheimer
Nolan at the top of his form. I especially love his driving, anxious, thumping soundtracks but it does have the effect of triggering my anxiety (in a kinda good way) and I had to pop a xanax after this flick. gently caress me, thermonuclear weapons are loving scary and I don't like being reminded of them.

2. Past Lives
I was wondering through this whole movie if there was going to be 'more to it' and the fact that it didn't, that the premise was so simple, and that it carried this simple emotional strand right through to its end, made me have an incredible respect for it. It felt like something new to me, like it did something I hadn't seen a film do before. I was choked up through a whole lot of this movie and I loving cried so, so much at the end. So simple, beautiful, heartbreaking, heartwarming, just lovely.

1. The Boy and the Heron
Miyazaki movies are on constant rotation in our house with two young girls. It's so hard to find media that is respectful enough of a child's intellect and point of view that they take them on a well written and thoughtful emotional journey that allows them to experience the emotions that we seem to think are 'adult' but that they experience just like adults. Loss, poignancy, anxiety, playfulness, imagination, wonder, struggle, daydreaming... They haven't seen all of them yet - there is a definite progression in the age suitability, which I love because my kids can grow up with them and experience a new one every few years. I saw The Boy and the Heron myself to assess where it sits in the age scale and while they won't be watching it for a few years yet (it's more on the freaky-zaki side than the family-zaki) I can't wait to experience this movie again and again, subbed and dubbeds, through my eyes and through theirs. If this is truly his last, well, what a wonderful treasure of a catalogue he's left for the children of this world. What a gift, what a wondrous childlike attitude he's held throughout his career. I wish I could give him a huge hug.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

thanks to everyone who participated in the initial goal of giving me personally an easy to browse list of movie recommendations. a good first go around and looks like it's on the radar for people to contribute to a bigger one next year. I want you all to know that I will definitely watch some of them