Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

20. Hardcore (1979, dir. Paul Schrader)

One father's quest to rescue his daughter from sexuality. Occasionally cringe, and probably the ironic and accidental inspiration for the Taken series lol

19. Bottoms (2023, dir. Emma Seligman)

You know what, this was a fun film. I had fun. Maybe a minor cult film in the making.

18. The Pass (1988, dir. Vladimir Tarasov)

Gorgeous piece animation (30 minutes), allegory about intergenerational listlessness/disillusionment during the waning days of the Soviet political apparatus, told as a bizarre sci-fi tale of space travelers and subsequently their children who are stranded on a barren and hostile world.

17. Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989, dir. Shinya Tsukamoto)

Everyone's favorite Japanese treatise on virility.

16. Daddy Longlegs (2009, dir. Josh and Benny Safdie)

An anxiety inducing film about a father who works as a film projectionist and has more heart than sense when it comes to parenting.

15. Change of Sex (1976, dir. Vincente Aranda)

Groundbreaking Spanish drama about gender reassignment, photography by Nestor Almendros, and a prominent debut cameo by trans actress Bibi Andersen.

14. Barry Lyndon (1975, dir. Stanley Kubrick)

Every frame is truly a painting in Kubrick's macabre depiction of 18th Century life and royalty.

13. Shooting Range (1979, dir. Vladimir Tarasov)

One of the most scathing and powerfully succinct denunciations of American capitalism ever produced, unforgettable shortform (20 minutes) Soviet animation.

12. The Power of the Dog (2021, dir Jane Campion)

The best work from Campion in decades, continually engaging and surprising revisionist western.

11. In the Shadow of the Blue Rascal (1978, dir. Pierre Clementi)

Hypnotic, allegorical dance with the political underground during 1968, by French anarchist and iconoclast Pierre Clémenti, best known for collaborations with Bunuel.

-

10. The Devil's Cleavage (1973, dir. George Kuchar)

One of the more notable feature-lengths from the daddies of camp, the Kuchar Brothers. Consistently hilarious, beautiful, and 'out there.'

09. Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975, dir. Chantal Akerman)

My mother referred to this film as "the dreams of womanhood, foreclosed upon".

08. The Deer (1974, dir. Masud Kimiai)

Iranian revolutionary drama that predates the overthrow of the Shah by several years, deeply affecting filmmaking and performances. Long suppressed.

07. The Spook Who Sat By The Door (1973, dir. Ivan Dixon)

Real legit black revolutionary American filmmaking disguised as blacksploitation and immediately suppressed by the FBI before release. Wild poo poo and utterly unique.

06. The Very Late Afternoon of the Faun (1983, dir. Vera Chitylova)

Fantastic, deeply comedic mid-career turn for Chitylova (Daisies) after the thaw of her industry blacklisting, a teardown of male chauvinism and hypocrisy.

05. Throw Away Your Books, Rally In The Streets (1971, dir. Shuji Terayama)

Marvelous experimental protest film directed by the young Terayama, poet, playwright, and Japanese leftist countercultural icon.

04. The Witch In Love (1966, dir. Damiano Damiani)

Cruelly ignored Italian genre-blend horror love story features absolutely unmissable performances from Rosanna Schiaffino and Sarah Ferrati, and a memorable shock ending.

03. Female Prisoner 701: Scorpion (1972, dir. Shunya Ito)

The most iconic death-stare in cinema, Meiko Kaji shatters the preconceptions of the Pink genre in Ito's violent debut thriller. The sequel would go further into feminist icon territory before the series regressed once and for all into violent misogynist reaction.

02. The Boy Friend (1971, dir. Ken Russell)

My favorite director, and pretty much the only musical I actually enjoy watching, so I suppose this is a re-watch. Astonishing production design and choreography serve a metatextual yet old-timey story of falling in love while doing what you love. This ode to Busby Berkeley productions was made during a period when the American musical was relatively out of style, and contemporaneously with another all time great feature by Russell, The Devils, which is absolutely insane to me.

01. Allegro Non Troppo (1976, dir. Bruno Bozzetto)

The 85 minute uncut version of Bozzetto's beautiful sendup of Fantasia is quite possibly the most affecting piece of animation I've seen in my life.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

this is a cool thread. i hope we do it again next year and more people participate

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

2.Miami Vice
Go Fast Boats Mojito You either get this movie or don’t

You obviously wrote more about Heat but it's cool to see Miami Vice get some love. My favorite of his films. That smash cut opener on the theatrical version :kiss:

I also want to take a moment and recognize that Arrow stepped up and released a blu ray of Blackhat that includes the Director's Cut with scenes now in their proper order. I like that one, too.

Gaius Marius posted:

4.Carol
My only regret is not watching it during the Christmas season. Never has the subtleties of a relationship been more intriguing to me.

God, you're right, this actually might be one of the all time christmas movies. I hadn't even considered it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

drat BP that’s a cool list although I personally did not vibe with Throw Away Your Books

It's a hard watch, super erratic. I think I was a bit alienated by it, too, until the end credits with the live personal camera shots of each crew member involved in the production. That right there really sold the theme and brought it all home for me somehow, and really there's not a whole lot like it in the Japanese canon, especially in the last few decades.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

come out and face me cine-d cowards. you have 2 hours to post your lists :blastu:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

75 mins left :kingsley:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

part of me feels foolish to make the deadline the same as the video games thread, but i really just didn't know what other cutoff would be appropriate. i'm also now realizing that if i want to count down results tomorrow i'm competing with what i can only imagine is one of, if not the, most trafficked thread on the forums?

:shrug:

GOTY countdown aint happening tomorrow

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gently caress the haters, start throwing some chairs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

we goin

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

I stuck to 2023 films because it’s honestly harder to keep track of when I saw an older film for the first time, and in general I guess I just don’t group them with the new stuff. It’s more like “ah, finally saw Picnic at Hanging Rock, yeah that’s great.”

I keep a basic rtf of what I've seen in a calendar year but that's about it, or I post in the Rate The Latest Film You've Seen thread, a useful resource

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

some terries itt

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I saw Poor Things the other day. Didn't rank it but I had fun. Lanthimos is good poo poo.

unrelated obv

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

letterboxd has been a godsend for a movie enthusiast and stats nerd like me. it has a csv import feature that was magic for my already existing spreadsheet of movies i was logging over the last like decade+ of movies

i've considered it, but also i just like posting here because i am extremely fail

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

congrats to Greta making a billion dollar film, what a gal

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

checkplease posted:

This is fun stuff. Hopefully other goons see they are missing out so it gets bigger next year.

The GOTY thread started out pretty humble 5 years ago and is now ...quite large. The first year's incarnation only had 59 goons who submitted. Considering how much larger the games community is on SA than the film community, I'd say this thread is a success already. Next year will be even bigger!

Thank you Shoog!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

emma stone and mark ruffalo are funny as gently caress on screen together

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tenet, now there's a movie a guy can watch

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

oh snap

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'm happy enough with that outcome

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

astounding production design on that film btw

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i want more stats plz

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It can sometimes be deceiving. Bottoms, for example, was listed multiple times including myself, but often outside of the top 10, and one person didn't write blurbs for it. So even though it was widely seen it didn't score many actual points in the running.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

all part of the process

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

JUSTICE FOR BOTTOMS!!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

can we leave the thread open for a few days?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

my pleasure! i'm glad people had fun. it was fun doing this and learning how hectic it can be to deal with this much info

i also learned a good deal about how to organize data across different sheets and how things can pretty easily get pretty messy. i'll have to take it easier on the software devs at work after this lol.

i believe that's up to MacheteZombie who hasn't gotten around to poking his head in here yet. but i would love for other people from other threads to also pop in to see how things shook out here.

do we think posting an "easy" list in the OP would detract from people actually reading through? i want to show off my little designs but also want to encourage more thread engagement

you could post a link to the countdown post in the OP

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

checkplease posted:

Yeah agreed, I need to read through this all again. Many films I haven’t heard of (like all that Soviet animation) or ones I seem to be underestimating (past lives and others).

some of those Soyuzmultfilm animations can be seen on youtube even, I'm sure of it, as can Allegro Non Troppo (just make sure you watch the 85 min version, and are maybe doing drugs)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

josh04 posted:

Hah, I thought having just the raw list in order would be easier for spreadsheet purposes so I deliberately didn't pull through any blurbs. Thank you for going to the extra effort!

Often what people do in the GOTY thread is have their countdown above with blurbs, and at the bottom of their post they put a little EZ list of just the titles and numbers. Seems to help.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

limiting to new movies only or splitting them up would kind of suck. if you need a list of the mainstream canon approved by milquetoast dipshits then maybe go to NYT

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I liked how it was set up this time. You do get a solid best of the year list, but letting people count first time watches gets you a way more interesting spread. It also means people who didn't watch a ton of new movies don't have to stretch or include movies they weren't really crazy about to fill out all ten spots.

Plus, this will net some interesting data going forward.

Yeah, it's just myopic to only focus movies from the year in question, it creates a false stratification in film literacy while simultaneously the timeline of the art form's cultural importance continues its steady decline. Even integrated and accounting for old film you're still going to probably end up with a top 3 that is totally contemporary due to the majority of posters engaging with film mostly in that way, but imo contemporary films are often overcelebrated and lack staying power once removed from the momentum of their marketing campaigns or streaming deals. Each decade after the 1970s gets steadily worse, less radical, less experimental, more weakly self-justified and bloated. Regardless of whether good stuff comes out in a given year this trend will continue to get worse from here on out as film continues to veer sharply away from being the dominant art form of the previous century and the industrial/logistical capacity for maintaining it continues to unravel. People taking time to discover the medium's past in context with the present will only become more important in that light, as theaters all but dry up and direct-delivery increases dominance. IMO the spirit of these threads is a fun, wide-ranging celebration rather than an outright competition for honors and cultural relevance like the sycophant circus that is the Oscars, etc, and it's okay if that celebration favors new releases in the top spotlight as long as the rest of the history is also included and respected.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

they're like little flip-books

but they have

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

I think two lists is the way to go. When we are only getting less than thirty participants and the tend is towards the recent then the addition of past movies can only morph the list at the end while not seeing in actual placings. For example if I put just one of my older favorite movies onto the list and moved up Spiderverse as a result perhaps then Spiderverse moves up to 3 the former 3 spot moves to 2 and we have a different end of year ranking despite the films in the list changing not at all.

If you are interested in compiling something like an Oscar's list then splitting it into two is preferable. If you are interested in introducing people to new or interesting films of the past or of current year than two list is preferable from the additional space you gain from having twice as many spots. I'd personally prefer to see a top ten with Zone of Interest, the new Hamaguchi or Iron Claw taking up a ninth or tenth place than it being filled with a Scorsese everyone has already seen or some Kubrick masterpiece that tomes have been written on.

One list won't be an issue as there will be more people next time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the oscars are trash, we don't need to create a goon facsimile of them, their fartstink can be deduced from thousands of miles away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

For Suzume at least the movie didn't get a wide release in the US until 23.

I also wouldn't count on more participants, intentions and reality rarely meet.

As noted earlier, the first SA GOTY had 59 participants. The second year had 143.