Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
I didn't see a lot of movies this past year, and a lot of these are "popcorn flicks" in that for a lot of them, you just sit back and enjoy the action-packed scenes. But they still deserve to be on a top 10 of 2023 because I didn't end up thinking, "Welp, I wasted my money/time with that one." Rated from least best to absolute best.

10 Fast X - I've seen every Fast and the Furious movie, and this one was just as enjoyable. Although honestly, I might have enjoyed it more for Jason Momoa absolutely chewing the scenery as the villain. He is over the top and you can tell he has so much fun, that it adds to the viewer's fun in my opinion. I didn't like the cliffhanger, but it's my fault for not realizing it was only part one.
9 Glass Onion - The only one of these I didn't see at the theater. I also never saw Knives Out, but it was a highly enjoyable mystery, both funny and exciting at times.
8 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - I've adored every single GOTG movie, and this one did not disappoint either. Although the Rocket backstory was almost too much for me (I'm a big softy), I thought they ended their story well.
7 Shazam! Fury of the Gods - One of the surprises of my list. I knew nothing about Shazam, I never even saw the first one. But I caught on just fine by letting it tell me the story, and I enjoyed it.
6 The Equalizer 3 - I never saw 1 or 2, and honestly at this point, I was rolling my eyes at Denzel being that old but still being able to kick rear end. But I liked how the people of the town backed him up and they all defeated the gangsters together.
5 Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One- Mission Impossible at this point, for me, has become "see how Tom Cruise cheats death yet again doing his own stunts." Parts of it are ridiculous, but at this point, I watch MI movies more for the absurdity of it all than anything else. It's always a good time.
4 John Wick: Chapter 4 - An excellent ending to the John Wick story, with amazing car chases and gun fights. The gun battle as he's trying to get up the stairway was insane and I giggled multiple times. I like how at the end, you're not 100% sure he's not really dead.
3 Blue Beetle - Another surprise. I know nothing about the superhero Blue Beetle whatsoever! However, my husband and I turned this on when we were on vacation, and I was very pleasantly surprised. The family of Jaime and how they obviously adored each other really gave this a lot of heart.
2 Barbie - I knew I'd like this, but I had no idea how much I did. Yes it was kitschy, it's a Barbie movie! Ken's discovery of the patriarchy was hilarious and Will Ferrell was excellent as the CEO of Mattel.
1 Godzilla Minus One - I've absolutely adored monster movies and horror movies since I was a kid, though all I ever saw of Godzilla on tv was when I was a kid I saw the 1954 Godzilla, then I remember the one with Matthew Broderick in '99. I'm so happy Minus One got made, because it actually made you care about all these humans. I really felt for Koichi, who felt like he had failed the entire country by trying to delay his kamikaze mission, and then felt responsible for every death including and after the ones on Odo Island. I admit I got teary-eyed more than once, and that's never happened to me when watching a monster movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU