Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

90% of truck owners should never be allowed to drive a truck.

I live in Texas, this percentage is accurate.

Seconded from Arizona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

As a truck owner, I wish I didn't have a truck. It's pretty darn inconvenient in a lot of ways - big grocery purchase, for example. Or fishtailing in wet roads unless you don't load down the back.

I need the 4WD and high clearance for real, but I could have got that with a Honda CRV.

I've used it as a truck a handful of times over 16 years.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Who the hell drives on the highway without using cruise control

i have a manual

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 27, 2023

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I understand the practicality and utility of trucks for a wide array of vocations. The issue for me is that where I live, you will see practical mummies driving a gleaming Ford F-150s that obscure the horizon and blots out the Sun. In parking lots I'm watching octogenarians step out of these Abram tank sized vehicles, which are so tall it's necessitated them to install a steel bar beneath the door as a step to help them on the 6 ft journey from seat to ground.

What are you doing with this grandpa. You are not hauling, you are not helping someone move, you have nothing in the cargo bed. You are pissing away 30% of your social security on gas alone just to go to Applebee's and back.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't mind pickups so much as parking next to a Maibatsu Monstrosity such as a Chevy Tahoe. Those behemoths are so big they should practically have their own zip code, and even with a backup camera (which is nice), it's hard to see around them. Sometimes, though, you just have no choice but to park next to a Tahoe.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't mind pickups so much as parking next to a Maibatsu Monstrosity such as a Chevy Tahoe. Those behemoths are so big they should practically have their own zip code, and even with a backup camera (which is nice), it's hard to see around them. Sometimes, though, you just have no choice but to park next to a Tahoe.

No choice? Or trying to get closest to the front door?

Park far away and free yourself! And get some extra steps in.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

As far as bad driving goes though, something that I've been seeing a lot of lately which drives me insane: People who go like 90 mph in a 65 zone in order to catch up to the person in front of them, jackknife into the other lane without turning on their signal, and then instantly diving back into the appropriate lane after clearing the other car like it's a NASCAR race. Often this maneuver is required because they'll do this as another car is hurtling towards them, so time is of the essence.

The way I was taught is that you wait to get back into the lane once you can see both headlights in your rear view mirror.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

No choice? Or trying to get closest to the front door?

Park far away and free yourself! And get some extra steps in.

The place where I recently had to park next to one was a small parking lot with almost every space filled aside from one right next to a gigantic Tahoe. Normally, you're right: I don't mind walking to the door.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Who the hell drives on the highway without using cruise control

this is something i was actually thinking about while on the drive back from my parents' and i was like, with all the assists available, no wonder people think self driving cars are going to be a thing soon. highway driving is almost a brain-dead activity for me already (and I drive a manual), and if you have a car with a bunch of assists, I bet it's even more brain-deader. no wonder it's not unthinkable for most people to imagine self driving cars.

and you know what, those people are so car brained it hurts, because if you had mass transit connecting cities with decent public transit infrastructure (or even you know, dense cities), you can literally just doze off while you're traveling and you wouldn't be worse for wear.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tea Party Crasher posted:

As far as bad driving goes though, something that I've been seeing a lot of lately which drives me insane: People who go like 90 mph in a 65 zone in order to catch up to the person in front of them, jackknife into the other lane without turning on their signal, and then instantly diving back into the appropriate lane after clearing the other car like it's a NASCAR race. Often this maneuver is required because they'll do this as another car is hurtling towards them, so time is of the essence.

The way I was taught is that you wait to get back into the lane once you can see both headlights in your rear view mirror.

That's quite a distance IMO past what would be a reasonable pull over distance.

*note I am using greater Boston rules

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

redshirt posted:

That's quite a distance IMO past what would be a reasonable pull over distance.

*note I am using greater Boston rules

This might be a standard for the parts of the US that are more cattle than people

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

9 times out of 10 these people have darkly tinted windows. It makes them feel anonymous, so they feel nothing when they pull this bullshit. I'll even be cruising on an interstate with three lanes in the same direction, the left lane is clear, I'm in the middle lane going 5-10 over and someone blasts by me in the right lane only to squeeze between me and the approaching semi in the right lane. I incidentally boxed someone in once, because they were too late to squeeze in, then veered around me into the left lane and proceeded to scream bloody murder and flip me off.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
If you’re going to drive at 65 in a 70 do it in the left hand (UK) lane.

‘It’s a limit not a targ-‘ gently caress OFF

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WaryWarren posted:

9 times out of 10 these people have darkly tinted windows. It makes them feel anonymous, so they feel nothing when they pull this bullshit. I'll even be cruising on an interstate with three lanes in the same direction, the left lane is clear, I'm in the middle lane going 5-10 over and someone blasts by me in the right lane only to squeeze between me and the approaching semi in the right lane. I incidentally boxed someone in once, because they were too late to squeeze in, then veered around me into the left lane and proceeded to scream bloody murder and flip me off.

Ah the Right Lane Wunderkind. If you're on a 3 or more lane highway, and the left lanes (THE PASSING LANES) are clear, and yet you are consistently passing on the right? You deserve to be boxed in. And more.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Another cute thing people do around here, is when I'm at the front of a line of cars at a four-lane intersection making a left turn, yielding because the light is green and cars are coming the other way, and people will be behind me honking their horns because I'm not trying to Dark Souls style dodge roll between oncoming traffic

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Oh how does the thread feel about those people who gradually creep into the intersection when they should be yielding So that they are sitting in the middle of the road

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Another cute thing people do around here, is when I'm at the front of a line of cars at a four-lane intersection making a left turn, yielding because the light is green and cars are coming the other way, and people will be behind me honking their horns because I'm not trying to Dark Souls style dodge roll between oncoming traffic

Hmm, I'm sensing you might be a super slow "safe" driver.

Is it possible? Do you drive under the speed limit?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Space Kablooey posted:

i have a manual
Going the same speed: a process well known to utilize multiple gear shifts.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

redshirt posted:

Hmm, I'm sensing you might be a super slow "safe" driver.

Is it possible? Do you drive under the speed limit?

I am a careful driver, I don't go below the speed limit though.

My origin story is that one time I saw a dude get t-boned by a Tahoe while making a left turn, and his head popped off like a Lego. Ever since then I figured I can be late for anything as long as I'm not early for the pearly Gates

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Also my job considers my commute billable hours so I'm never in a rush :c00lbert:

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific

Jakabite posted:

If you’re going to drive at 65 in a 70 do it in the left hand (UK) lane.

‘It’s a limit not a targ-‘ gently caress OFF

These are people who just get off on dictating how fast everyone else is allowed to drive and they should, indeed, gently caress right off.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

this is something i was actually thinking about while on the drive back from my parents' and i was like, with all the assists available, no wonder people think self driving cars are going to be a thing soon. highway driving is almost a brain-dead activity for me already (and I drive a manual), and if you have a car with a bunch of assists, I bet it's even more brain-deader. no wonder it's not unthinkable for most people to imagine self driving cars.

and you know what, those people are so car brained it hurts, because if you had mass transit connecting cities with decent public transit infrastructure (or even you know, dense cities), you can literally just doze off while you're traveling and you wouldn't be worse for wear.

lets throw public transit into the mix!

so i tried taking it one time maybe 15 years ago, when i was commuting to work at the same place everyday.

so i said lets try transit and see if its reasonable to forgo paying for gas

the week or so i tried it, i found I had to begin my journey of walking to the first bus stop for maybe 10-15 minutes, taking that to the station via 2 other connecting buses, and then taking the subway / bus combo into the city proper so i could then walk 15 more minutes to the work site.

the tally at the end of my experiment was that if i took transit, mind you this was for a roughly 20-25km commute

1) i had to leave my house close to 2 hours earlier than I would to drive in

2) this did not even guarantee me being anywhere near on time, usually i was very early, and a number of times I was very late

3) dealing with the public in general, drunks and junkies everywhere, among just idiots and people with zero respect for anyone else let alone themselves

4) the reason i ended my experiment was the last day I took it, i was in line to get on the bus along with 30 other folks, and this group of 2 poo poo head 16-17 year olds walked straight to the front of the line and just slid right in (I was at the head of the line fyi). i actually yelled at the back of their heads 'are you loving serious there's a line' of which they blissfully ignored me and then later on the bus asked me if i wanted to fight them.

i ain't got time for all that poo poo is the end of my story!

god bless all those who have to use public transit, it's a complete travesty of mis-spending

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

Going the same speed: a process well known to utilize multiple gear shifts.

i cant use cruise control if i dont have it

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 27, 2023

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

i cant use cruise control if dont have it

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Cruise control is nice. I once drove 9 hours to get the Las Vegas in my manual, and my ankle felt like it had been through war after

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

yeah you discovered that public transit sucks when not enough people use it to make it politically worthwhile to spend on it congrats

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Hmmm has anybody ever noticed that public school sucks. We should abolish it it's clearly not working for whatever mysterious reason

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Also my job considers my commute billable hours so I'm never in a rush :c00lbert:

I delivered furniture one summer, so I get that. I just wouldn't want to drive behind it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Space Kablooey posted:

i cant use cruise control if i dont have it
Then say that the first time. I have a manual makes no sense.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I had a manual '98 carolla 5spd with cruise control... so lol.

It sucked though at lower speeds, it would maintain speed but the accelorator seemed to lurch 2 or so times a second. Very weird but completely fine at 60+

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

With a manual are you only using CC in 5th, I assume? Or can you use it in all gears? Gosh it's so long since I've driven stick.

With my automatic I will sometimes use CC at very slow speeds, like going a light 30 through a 20. And much more at like 50 in a 40.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I used to have a mini Cooper that was a six gear manual with cruise control. That was a fun car

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I used to have a mini Cooper that was a six gear manual with cruise control. That was a fun car

Could you set CC in 3rd gear for example?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I don't remember ever having any trouble with cruise control at any speed, but I can't recall specifically ever using it at lower speeds

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

With a manual are you only using CC in 5th, I assume? Or can you use it in all gears? Gosh it's so long since I've driven stick.

With my automatic I will sometimes use CC at very slow speeds, like going a light 30 through a 20. And much more at like 50 in a 40.

You can cruise control at any gear in a manual, hitting the clutch drops you out of cc. But if it's anything like my lovely carolla it didn't like doing cc unless it was 4th or 5th. But you can still fiddle with the accelerator changing speed with the controls and cancel it just like an automatic. I've also not driven a stick for about a decade, and I'm sure newer manuals are a lot slicker than mine was.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

Then say that the first time. I have a manual makes no sense.

i had never seen a manual with cc

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

You can cruise control at any gear in a manual, hitting the clutch drops you out of cc. But if it's anything like my lovely carolla it didn't like doing cc unless it was 4th or 5th. But you can still fiddle with the accelerator changing speed with the controls and cancel it just like an automatic. I've also not driven a stick for about a decade, and I'm sure newer manuals are a lot slicker than mine was.

My last time is 2001. My beloved 88 Honda Civic got stolen like a week after 9/11, it was tragic.

She was super bare bones, roll down windows if you dig. There was no CC.

EDIT: I take that back, I drove a manual rental in Scotland, on the other side of the road. 2018.

Edit 2: Also drove a right side manual in Australia 2008.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

yeah you discovered that public transit sucks when not enough people use it to make it politically worthwhile to spend on it congrats

oh ho ho ho, i just googled for fun and our cities transit budget is billions a year

and yes lots of folks use it, considering the risk of stabbing has increased a lot the past few years not sure how they manage it !

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol needs a "school zone" though