Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

20 Blunts posted:

zipper merge derail engage

Don't get me started on Americans being unable to zipper merge.
I complain about this every time we leave the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zipper merge these JO pants, I'm driving heah!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Oh look, my lane ends ahead at a construction zone. I better speed up and try and beat all these cars to the punch.
HEY LET ME IN, YOU GUYS ARE SO SELFISH.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'll never understand people who just sit in the left lane. What's so comfortable about that lane? If you just want to cruise at whatever speed there's a nice luxurious right lane to use. But no, they have to sit in the left lane and hold up everybody else.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you see someone trying to make a left against traffic and stop to let them in, you’re a fuckin prick.

The people who do that will never, ever think they’re in the wrong since they’re being nice and that can’t be wrong! Even if it means the person who had to stop unexpectedly for your nice gesture nearly gets, or actually gets, rear ended because unpredictable stops are bad.

Drivers that do this on multi-lane roads are the modern evolution of mermaids, trying to lure drivers into getting t-boned by traffic in the still-moving lane next to them.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Spy Hunter was a How To video game.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

Spy Hunter was a How To video game.

I've got to admit to something, I bought spy hunter for gamecube because a cousin was always ranting about how good that spy hunter was.
It sucked mondo butt and was really boring, I played maybe 10min and never touched it again.

The arcade one is fine, but jesus, the 2000s one sucked. The cut scenes are amazingly bad.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

I've got to admit to something, I bought spy hunter for gamecube because a cousin was always ranting about how good that spy hunter was.
It sucked mondo butt and was really boring, I played maybe 10min and never touched it again.

The arcade one is fine, but jesus, the 2000s one sucked. The cut scenes are amazingly bad.

I had no idea there was any version other than arcade version.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

I had no idea there was any version other than arcade version.

I think there's another one or two but I never played them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6yKcsLo6sI

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
"Ehh, the defroster will take care of it."

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ChickenHeart posted:

Did they park their car inside an avalanche?

I used to leave snow on top of my car but one time I braked and it all slide down my front windshield so I never leave snow up top anymore.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

ChickenHeart posted:

Side mirrors are clear, I see no problem

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Grey Cat posted:

Did they park their car inside an avalanche?

surely the snow plows will respect my decision to illegally-park on the street overnight during a record blizzard

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

erosion posted:

Once while delivering pizza I had to get out, run to the intersection, and frantically signal to the cars in the lead to pull forward because they were all sitting three car lengths away from the sensors so the light would never change unless they moved.

I think everyone should be forced to be a pizza delivery driver for a few years. Kind of like how Switzerland and Israel have mandatory military service. Then we'd have an entire culture of cocksure drivers who know to slang za and possibly kill if necessary.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

the holy poopacy posted:

Drivers that do this on multi-lane roads are the modern evolution of mermaids, trying to lure drivers into getting t-boned by traffic in the still-moving lane next to them.

When I have to make a left onto a 4 lane and some nicehole decides to stop up the closest oncoming lane to “let me in” they never seem to be able to grasp that I cannot see the traffic in the lane next to them now so they tried to let me in and have in fact only blocked me in. And then they usually end up flipping me off! I’m not the one that did a stupid here, buddy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think it's okay to let people make those left turns if there's a red light ahead and traffic is just rolling along at like 5 mph or something like that. But otherwise, yeah never stop traffic just to do that.

And if there's two lanes of traffic it's always dicey doing it anyways because the person turning left also has to rely on another driver extending them the same courtesy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ask a person if they are a good driver: Yes
Ask a person if other people are good drivers: No

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

You can always just make a few rights instead of a dangerous and lovely left across two lanes.
The extra 1-2 minutes aren't that big a deal unless you're just itching to get plowed into by someone speeding up to a red light on the other side of the van you can't see past.

I never trust someone waving through. I've seen it end disastrously and that should always be the assumption.
Letting someone in for a right turn however is cool and good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grey Cat posted:

You can always just make a few rights instead of a dangerous and lovely left across two lanes.
The extra 1-2 minutes aren't that big a deal unless you're just itching to get plowed into by someone speeding up to a red light on the other side of the van you can't see past.

The turns I’m thinking of are the kind where there’s usually big gaps in traffic that make doing the left trivially easy and low risk until someone decides to do you a favor by inconveniencing you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

I never trust someone waving through. I've seen it end disastrously and that should always be the assumption.
Letting someone in for a right turn however is cool and good.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I have my right blinker properly on. There's a car on the road I am about to turn on to. He/she leaves before I have made my turn, trusting that my blinker is correct and I am turning. It is, so we're all good. But.... I was thinking how he/she took an unnecessary risk and gained just a couple of seconds for it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

I was thinking about this yesterday. I have my right blinker properly on. There's a car on the road I am about to turn on to. He/she leaves before I have made my turn, trusting that my blinker is correct and I am turning. It is, so we're all good. But.... I was thinking how he/she took an unnecessary risk and gained just a couple of seconds for it.

Yeah I will never trust the blinker in those scenarios. I'll wait rather than risk it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

redshirt posted:

I've been in exactly two car accidents (identical left-hand turn situations) that were both my fault because I trusted what the blinker on the car(s) that plowed into me were indicating. For all I know they might have been baiting suckers like me at intersections just for the insurance payout. The first time it happened the driver even admitted to beginning the turn and changing their mind at the last second when my turn arrow disengaged and their light turned green, which my parents went back and found out happened instantaneously, there was no delay or anything. Basically killed my social life post-high school with how I was unable to afford insurance for many years after.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Honestly you people go too fast in the left lane and should thank me for helping you control your dangerous speed

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Honestly you people go too fast in the left lane and should thank me for helping you control your dangerous speed

You have become my MORTAL ENEMY

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

How do people who don't accelerate on the on ramp get through life like that? How do they never learn? What happens if they can't get over? So many questions
As a truck driver, I've seen the dumbest poo poo from people trying to merge.

My favorite was on CA 99, a 4 lane limited access highway like an Interstate, but CA owned. This was probably in Stockton. I'm in the right lane going 60mph which is faster than the 55mph truck speed limit. I'm required to stay in the right lane because I'm a truck and all of the cars are flying around me going 70 anyways. So a lady is on the on-ramp, accelerating pretty well, looks like she timed it well to merge in front of me so I let off the accelerator a bit. Then she turns her head arounds, sees me, and slams on the brakes. YOU HAD IT!!!!!

And I know it was a lady because she turned her head and looked right over at me. (sort of)

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 19, 2023

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!

bossy lady posted:

Once when I was driving on the FDR a white infiniti blazed past me going like 100 mph. 20 minutes later when I reached lower manhattan I saw that same infiniti crashed up and causing traffic.

I think this is everyone’s secret fantasy when someone flies by at 100 mph or is driving aggressively. Just see the car in a ditch somewhere and you can wave as you drive past.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MoonshineWilly posted:

I think this is everyone’s secret fantasy when someone flies by at 100 mph or is driving aggressively. Just see the car in a ditch somewhere and you can wave as you drive past.

Not me. If they are skilled, I wish them luck. If they are idiots, I hope they don't hurt anyone else.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
One thing I have started to notice on a bunch of cars is adults putting stickers on their car that says "Student Driver" like that gives them permission to drive like a dipshit. Someone almost hit me the other day because they acted like their turn signal meant they were entitled to change lanes whenever they felt like it and not signaling their desire to change lanes. It wasn't even like I saw them trying to change lanes and refused to let them do it, the length of our cars was already overlapping, it's like they thought I was obligated to stop in the middle of the road so they could change lanes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Three Olives posted:

One thing I have started to notice on a bunch of cars is adults putting stickers on their car that says "Student Driver" like that gives them permission to drive like a dipshit. Someone almost hit me the other day because they acted like their turn signal meant they were entitled to change lanes whenever they felt like it and not signaling their desire to change lanes. It wasn't even like I saw them trying to change lanes and refused to let them do it, the length of our cars was already overlapping, it's like they thought I was obligated to stop in the middle of the road so they could change lanes.

It's a magic spell. Like "Baby on Board" or "I support Cumberland County Sheriffs Department"

These words on the vehicle's bumper casts a plus 10-50 spell over the vehicle and occupants.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
when i was teaching our rental daughter how to drive, i'd have her watch dash cam youtubes and say 'spot the stupid before it happens'

she noted several common themes (stopping to let someone turn left is one) and is mindful of those to avoid getting collected by an idiot

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dee eight posted:

when i was teaching our rental daughter how to drive, i'd have her watch dash cam youtubes and say 'spot the stupid before it happens'

she noted several common themes (stopping to let someone turn left is one) and is mindful of those to avoid getting collected by an idiot

"rental daughter"?

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
Nearly 100% of the people I know swear they're law-abiding, decent citizens and yet they all break traffic laws, usually by speeding maniacally. They're all CRIMINALS and deserve to be put away!!!

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
WHY DOES NO ONE KNOW THAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO TURN INTO THE LANE CLOSEST TO YOU?!??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cryomancer posted:

Nearly 100% of the people I know swear they're law-abiding, decent citizens and yet they all break traffic laws, usually by speeding maniacally. They're all CRIMINALS and deserve to be put away!!!

It's fascinating, right? All these supposed "law abiding citizens".

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I know I'm a good driver because when I see a bad one I pound on the horn, holler out the window then cut them up with my SUV till they pull over and have a nervous breakdown.

I don't suffer fools gladly :smug:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

redshirt posted:

"rental daughter"?

our actual daughter's best friend from hs. she came from a really dysfunctional family, dad in prison, mom recovering meth addict, moving from lovely house to lovely trailer constantly. we took her in so she could finish high school at one school with some semblance of stability. 18 years later our dna kids have all moved out but she still lives with us and pays rent.

i don't regret it at all. she is a good and kind person and worthy of respect.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
I watched someone in an f550 back into my car because she "didn't think anyone was behind her"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dee eight posted:

our actual daughter's best friend from hs. she came from a really dysfunctional family, dad in prison, mom recovering meth addict, moving from lovely house to lovely trailer constantly. we took her in so she could finish high school at one school with some semblance of stability. 18 years later our dna kids have all moved out but she still lives with us and pays rent.

i don't regret it at all. she is a good and kind person and worthy of respect.

My man!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

manpurse posted:

I watched someone in an f550 back into my car because she "didn't think anyone was behind her"

Checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Grey Cat posted:

Oh look, my lane ends ahead at a construction zone. I better speed up and try and beat all these cars to the punch.
HEY LET ME IN, YOU GUYS ARE SO SELFISH.

lol I wish this were how people are hopelessly dysfunctional about zipper merging in my area we will line up for miles and not use the other lane (how impolite to not gently caress up traffic everywhere else by jumping the line using the other lane at all!)