Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I go the speed limit, my mirrors are adjusted properly for blind spots, and I use my signals. I know what you're thinking, "what a badass."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I've had a lot of close calls but the only bad wreck I've been in was because of black ice. (though my wheel fell off on the highway that one other time)

The most recent rear end in a top hat I think I complained about was when I stopped at a 4 way stop a month ago. I was the only one there, looks good, I pull into the intersection to make my left and out of nowhere this lifted ford small weiner mobile blew through it at atleast 60 or so. It was a 30, the road is bordering a school and residential zone...

Any time I see people like this I just wish their vehicle would crash and explode so they don't kill some family a few days later.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 18, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

bradzilla posted:

if you doin the speed limit on the highway, get the gently caress outta my way

Well yeah, you think I'm gonna sit in the passing lane going the speed limit? Told you, I'm a badass.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I used to be a speed racer but ever since my rollover I don't even like the idea of driving so I'm definitely not going to speed. Sorry to all the monstertrucks behind me out there, but give me space, thanks.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

Sincere question (Non highway road only): Do you ever consider pulling over and letting the speed monster behind you pass? Safely of course.

If I was causing an actual line of cars and there's a shoulder to pull on I would. If it's one or two cars and they want to pass they can either wait for a dashed line, or wait for a passing lane.

I've never had this issue though. I've never had to pull over there's usually ample opportunities for dashed lines. People usually just pass in the first minute and everyone is happy.

If were talking in the city they can deal with it. They'll just get stuck at the next intersection with me regardless if they pass or not.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

You Are A Werewolf posted:

"Well, I've got this long rear end ramp and merge lane on to the freeway that gives me more than enough road to match up to freeway speeds. I think I'll drive on it at 25 up the entire length of the ramp, speed up to 35 as I approach the freeway, merge dangerously at 45 with disregard to anyone around me or any cars that may be approaching me from behind, and them maybe I'll speed up to 55 and keep it there, even though the posted speed limit is 65**."

~ The car in front of me every single time I get on the freeway. Every. Single. Time.

:hmmyes:
Nothing quite like endangering yourself, the people behind you, and everyone already on the highway.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Salt Fish posted:

Reddit thread

Take my downdoot

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

flubber nuts posted:

woop woop pull over that rear end is too fat

Yes, Officer?
I swear I was within the cheek limit.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ChickenHeart posted:

Look however you drive just promise me you'll wear a drat seatbelt so other drivers won't have the traumatic memory of an adult getting thrown out a window and contorting into a pretzel underneath the wheels of an SUV seared into their brains

just christ its not that hard to wear

But it's MILDLY uncomfortable! dies

Also I never realized your av is animated.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

20 Blunts posted:

zipper merge derail engage

Don't get me started on Americans being unable to zipper merge.
I complain about this every time we leave the house.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Oh look, my lane ends ahead at a construction zone. I better speed up and try and beat all these cars to the punch.
HEY LET ME IN, YOU GUYS ARE SO SELFISH.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

Spy Hunter was a How To video game.

I've got to admit to something, I bought spy hunter for gamecube because a cousin was always ranting about how good that spy hunter was.
It sucked mondo butt and was really boring, I played maybe 10min and never touched it again.

The arcade one is fine, but jesus, the 2000s one sucked. The cut scenes are amazingly bad.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

I had no idea there was any version other than arcade version.

I think there's another one or two but I never played them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6yKcsLo6sI

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ChickenHeart posted:

"Ehh, the defroster will take care of it."

Did they park their car inside an avalanche?

I used to leave snow on top of my car but one time I braked and it all slide down my front windshield so I never leave snow up top anymore.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

You can always just make a few rights instead of a dangerous and lovely left across two lanes.
The extra 1-2 minutes aren't that big a deal unless you're just itching to get plowed into by someone speeding up to a red light on the other side of the van you can't see past.

I never trust someone waving through. I've seen it end disastrously and that should always be the assumption.
Letting someone in for a right turn however is cool and good.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Don't me I'm just driving down this road for a few miles.
click clack click clack click clack
What, my turn signal is on? Don't be ridiculous, I don't hear anything.
click clack click clack click clack

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

This car stopped at the intersection before me, I must have the right of way.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

dreezy posted:

i swear some people are too stupid to understand basic loving trajectories. like the idea that you can predict where an object will be in the future based on its current rate of speed?

All licenses now require 10 or more points scored in pong. If you can't do that then too bad.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Asobu posted:

Sees slow car
“Slow rear end bitch”

Sees fast car
“OK speed racer”

Honestly how I react to either situation.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

dee eight posted:

there's a weird phenomenon in northern climes where drivers forget how to drive in snow from one winter to the next

every winter, first snowfall, everyone seems to drive like even bigger morons for about 2-3 days and then they settle down and do (relatively) better

there's probably a german word for it

Bedrunkenwinterfahren

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I need to pull out of this parking spot in front of the store.
Let's see, which one of these was reverse again? D? R?
I think it's D, time to gently press the accelerator and--

Oh BTW, I'm a 127 year old and I lost both my eyes in the civil war.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Are we at the point in the thread where we complain about cyclists and people start getting mad?

I'll start: if you're on the road on wheels you're a vehicle. That means poo poo applies to you all the time, not just when it's convenient. "I stop at the red light but if nobody's coming I just go through it" is obscenely reckless.

Cyclists definitely have to follow the rules. I have zero problem if they do, I dislike when they blast through intersections or across lanes for no reason. I don't see this much in colorado though with all our fancy dedicated bike lanes that just got reworked.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I have been driving for 32 years and yeah. All of you are terrible at driving

That means you're old and automatically bad at driving.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I like being hands free. My car is old but I was still able to install bluetooth and a car mic in the A-frame trim. There's really no excuse to not use hands free options. I get in the car, turn on voice commands and go.

Need to text? Voice commands, need a map? Voice commands. It's pretty simple.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Yelling from the distance

Oh gently caress Im sorry I hit your car in the lot, do you want my insurance info? Yeah? One sec!

I lower a comically large ladder from my window and begin to descend from my truck.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Eric the Mauve posted:

Who the hell drives on the highway without using cruise control

My SO...
Yes, it annoys me too... But the consolation is at least he has a 5mph variance, tops.

There's little more annoying than the person whose speed fluctuates 20mph in either direction.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I had a manual '98 carolla 5spd with cruise control... so lol.

It sucked though at lower speeds, it would maintain speed but the accelorator seemed to lurch 2 or so times a second. Very weird but completely fine at 60+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

With a manual are you only using CC in 5th, I assume? Or can you use it in all gears? Gosh it's so long since I've driven stick.

With my automatic I will sometimes use CC at very slow speeds, like going a light 30 through a 20. And much more at like 50 in a 40.

You can cruise control at any gear in a manual, hitting the clutch drops you out of cc. But if it's anything like my lovely carolla it didn't like doing cc unless it was 4th or 5th. But you can still fiddle with the accelerator changing speed with the controls and cancel it just like an automatic. I've also not driven a stick for about a decade, and I'm sure newer manuals are a lot slicker than mine was.