Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Leading the charge or taking responsibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The X-man cometh posted:

Leading the charge or taking responsibility?

Because yeah, if so, I agree.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Some scathing sarcasm and an impish grin will sure put fascists in their place

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

dr_rat posted:

I think the 13th warrior is far better described as a bit forgotten about rather than hated. I remember really liking it and the book, but most other people I know seem to of just forgotten about it.

I went to the theater when it came out and it was pretty empty. I don't remember hearing a whole lot of anything about it when it came out. Great movie but just wasn't a huge hit or anything.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The 90s is full of "this movie sucks" that I'm sure time has been far kinder to in recent years.

Also, LOVE is maybe a strong word, but I enjoyed the Syfy channel show Helix. I don't know why, though. It was as dumb as hell but I found myself engrossed by it and if not for the ending they did for season 2 I could have probably gone for one more season.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I went to the theater when it came out and it was pretty empty. I don't remember hearing a whole lot of anything about it when it came out. Great movie but just wasn't a huge hit or anything.

Yeah it's not that 13th warrior is forgotten; people had to have given a poo poo in the first place for something to be forgotten. Nobody saw it in the first place.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm going to watch 13th Warrior tonight because this thread reminded me of it :hmmyes:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Didn't both 13th Warrior and Payback get initially promoted months before their releases with the Eaters of the Dead and Parker titles?

I have a vague memory of both movies having trailers under both those names. Keep thinking there was another fairly big film around 1997-1999 that got some promotion under a different name and then changed suddenly. (I'm thinking Dark City/Dark Empire. I could have sworn I saw an early trailer for it that used the Dark Empire title.)

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

Didn't both 13th Warrior and Payback get initially promoted months before their releases with the Eaters of the Dead and Parker titles?

I have a vague memory of both movies having trailers under both those names. Keep thinking there was another fairly big film around 1997-1999 that got some promotion under a different name and then changed suddenly. (I'm thinking Dark City/Dark Empire. I could have sworn I saw an early trailer for it that used the Dark Empire title.)

I remember really liking the director's cut of Payback, especially compared to the OG with the silly tacked-on ending. Haven't seen them in years though, so I can't say how well they've aged.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Are you talking about the Mel Gibson noir revenge movie? Because I love that movie.

The dialog is fun and snappy, Mel Gibson's character is shown to be very skilled and competent but not invincible. Th4 supporting cast is great and Licy Lui plays the dominatrix role perfectly. I even loved the recurring joke that he is doing all of this for $60k, or whatever 5he amount is, and turns down whenever someone tries to give him more.

Its a fun movie.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I went to see The Thirteenth Warrior solely because it used the Diablo font.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

I went to see The Thirteenth Warrior solely because it used the Diablo font.

thats the Front Line Assembly font :mad:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

13th Warrior is much goofier than I remembered, it was pretty fun though. I like when antonio banderas teaches the viking to "draw sounds" and then the viking starts writing "god has only one prophet and his name is muhammad" in the dirt and asking antonio banderas to read it back to him

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Also, LOVE is maybe a strong word, but I enjoyed the Syfy channel show Helix. I don't know why, though. It was as dumb as hell but I found myself engrossed by it and if not for the ending they did for season 2 I could have probably gone for one more season.

I'll check it out, I'm a pretty big fan of the Syfy channel's Being Human show. When my girlfriend was watching a show and told me it was about a vampire, a ghost and werewolf being room mates I thought it sounded pretty dumb but then when I watched it I was surprised to find it had a really tight plot where each season naturally sets up and flows into the next, kind of like Breaking Bad. The three stars are likable and funny as well.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

13th Warrior is much goofier than I remembered, it was pretty fun though. I like when antonio banderas teaches the viking to "draw sounds" and then the viking starts writing "god has only one prophet and his name is muhammad" in the dirt and asking antonio banderas to read it back to him

Ibn Fadlan was definitely a very interesting route to take to retell Beowulf and I appreciate that Chrichton did that

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love the show Charmed.

For many years I traveled for work a lot, and thus stayed in a lot of hotels, and one of my traditions became putting on Charmed in the background.

It's been on TNT for like 4 hours a day in the morning for many years.

I liked Buffy and Angel so I'm down with witchcraft and magic, and while it was originally just in the background, I found myself getting interested.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The sister thread is having a pointless "Beatles good!" "No, Beatles bad!" argument, so I'll post this here: I actually like Wild Honey Pie. And Revolution 9. Actually, I like every track on the White Album. So much variety on that album.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'll check it out, I'm a pretty big fan of the Syfy channel's Being Human show. When my girlfriend was watching a show and told me it was about a vampire, a ghost and werewolf being room mates I thought it sounded pretty dumb but then when I watched it I was surprised to find it had a really tight plot where each season naturally sets up and flows into the next, kind of like Breaking Bad. The three stars are likable and funny as well.

Okay, just to warn you: You're not getting one lick of that out of Helix.

It starts off as a smart sounding show that becomes a Japanese 90s survial horror video game cutscene story.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Fighting Elegy posted:

I never watched the syfy version, but the bbc show was pretty great until the story went off the rails by around the 3rd series.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Okay, just to warn you: You're not getting one lick of that out of Helix.

It starts off as a smart sounding show that becomes a Japanese 90s survial horror video game cutscene story.

Well now I need to watch it, 90's survival horror videogame cutscenes are probably my favorite media and fill me with joy.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The sister thread is having a pointless "Beatles good!" "No, Beatles bad!" argument, so I'll post this here: I actually like Wild Honey Pie. And Revolution 9. Actually, I like every track on the White Album. So much variety on that album.

My Youtube would auto-play Wild Honey Pie after every video I watched for a week. Never figured out why it happened.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Nobody hates The Beatles and anyone saying so is being performative.

You might hate John, Paul or Ringo, but nobody hates George and so you can't say you hate The Beatles.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

credburn posted:

Nobody hates The Beatles and anyone saying so is being performative.

You might hate John, Paul or Ringo, but nobody hates George and so you can't say you hate The Beatles.

He's doesn't have a clean rap sheet either.

Timestamped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ZFNaN02l8&t=53s

I remember seeing this on TV. when I was 12-13. :)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
People can hate everything, that's what we do best. It doesn't matter how many people love a thing, people will find reasons to hate it. Sometimes even with entirely valid subjective reasons that no one else agrees with.

You also get people loving things for the same reason. There's tonnes of terrible, terrible movies and shows that people love, can even admit they aren't great, but they love it anyway.

Preferences displayed by humans aren't an equation or a solved problem, and they're often irrational as hell. That's the beauty of it :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The internet tends to run hot or cold on things: either it's the GOAT or the Worst Thing Ever. Rarely is there any middle ground. The "let people enjoy things" and "let people not enjoy things" meme really is true.