Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
If you ever go to jail, get ready because there might be 50 televisions and if this show is on they're all going to be tuned to it, unless there is something on another channel with cleavage.

I had never even heard of the show until I went to jail. It's an event. Ridiculousness is on, everybody stop fighting, no murdering, everyone gather in the auditorium because it's time for Ridiculousness.

Annoying Falling Down Guy and Weird Laughs-at-Things Girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I don't know about love, but I find The Big Bang Theory pretty humorous. I'll watch a repeat every now and then for a laugh.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

credburn posted:

If you ever go to jail, get ready because there might be 50 televisions and if this show is on they're all going to be tuned to it, unless there is something on another channel with cleavage.

I had never even heard of the show until I went to jail. It's an event. Ridiculousness is on, everybody stop fighting, no murdering, everyone gather in the auditorium because it's time for Ridiculousness.

I would rather watch Ridiculousness for 100 hours straight, clockwork orange me, than watch 1 hour of Fox News in jail and it lasted about 3 before it was over.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Outpost22 posted:

I don't know about love, but I find The Big Bang Theory pretty humorous. I'll watch a repeat every now and then for a laugh.

Like have it on in the background or actually engage with the plot or the episode?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Outpost22 posted:

The first day I worked a real job & came home exhausted I lay on the couch & turned on King of Queens & it had magically become clever & relaxing. Helped explain appeal of unchallenging shows.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

credburn posted:

Inmates can just go gather in an auditorium?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The first day I worked a real job & came home exhausted I lay on the couch & turned on King of Queens & it had magically become clever & relaxing. Helped explain appeal of unchallenging shows.

I always found King of Queens a very watchable normie show. Having Frank Costanza in the cast definitely helped. Maybe it’s just the blue collar genre I like. I was like 9 when I watched and loved the show ROC lol.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Last Action Hero - Nobody liked it at release, because it was kind of ahead of its time in terms of meta story telling. But it's a dumb fun action movie with peak Schwarzenegger.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Last Action Hero is fantastic and has so many great moments.

*Arnold gets home, shoots his closet, and a dead assassin falls out*
"How did you know there was a guy in there?"
"There's always a guy in there."

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

CzarChasm posted:

Last Action Hero - Nobody liked it at release, because it was kind of ahead of its time in terms of meta story telling. But it's a dumb fun action movie with peak Schwarzenegger.

I think this film has a lot of charm too. My brother had some of the toys when they launched a little before the film, so he really loved it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I like:
Every one of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's action movies, especially The Rundown, it's hilarious how often he hits Sean William Scott; also the dude from Surf Ninjas and TMNTII was a in it playing rebel who kicks the poo poo out The Rock.
Domino
Aeon Flux (the movie)
Matchbox 20
Staind (don't listen to them though, Aaron Lewis is a piece of poo poo chud)
all 3 Riddick movies
The Matrix sequels
Disenchantment
Ancient Aliens (gently caress the whole premise of it, it's just so silly and it's fun to disprove everything in real time with just wikipedia)

oh and I've been roasted for liking White Zombie, but gently caress yall haters, that poo poo is badass

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 19, 2024

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

oh and I've been roasted for liking White Zombie, but gently caress yall haters, that poo poo is badass

White Zombie, and Rob's later stuff, is good, yeah. Good, yeah, wow.

Good! Gimme that, gimme that good!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I like:
Every one of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's action movies, especially The Rundown, it's hilarious how often he hits Sean William Scott; also the dude from Surf Ninjas and TMNTII was a in it playing rebel who kicks the poo poo out The Rock.

One of my favorites is Walking Tall. I just learned that it might be a remake and I'd like to see the original sometime.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

One of my favorites is Walking Tall. I just learned that it might be a remake and I'd like to see the original sometime.

The original is essential viewing. It stars Joe Don Baker

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Ralph Hurley posted:

Inmates can just go gather in an auditorium?

During certain hours of the day, if everyone has been good, and it's not a holiday, and the cops aren't being dicks for arbitrary reasons, yeah there's usually a lot of freedom to move about in jail. I wasn't in like a supermax.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Extra Large Marge posted:

The original is essential viewing. It stars Joe Don Baker

Oooo I like that guy!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I like:
Every one of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's action movies, especially The Rundown,

I love this movie. It has great comedy and does a good job of setting up The Rock as an unstoppable badass before the finale while still giving him moments where he gets his rear end kicked.

Sean William Scott is perfect in his role, and Christoper Walken is also great as the main villain.

Edit: The best scene in Last Action Hero is when Charles Dance's character comes to the real world , shoots someone, yells out how he wants to confess to the murder, and someone shouts at him to shut the gently caress up because no one cares.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 19, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CzarChasm posted:

The pacing is a bit off, and it tries to get a bit too serious for the type of goofy movie it is sometimes, but a great put it on in the background dumb action comedy.

Having Charles Dance as the villain also really helps. He 100% knows what kind of film he's in and seems to be absolutely loving it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I like The Rock too. When I see a Rock movie, I mostly know what I'm gonna get.

I put his movies in the category of "Movie I'll watch on HBO in a hotel but not pay super attention to it either".

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

dr_rat posted:

Having Charles Dance as the villain also really helps. He 100% knows what kind of film he's in and seems to be absolutely loving it.

F. Murray Abraham, too. I love that Danny calls him out as “the guy who killed Mozart” and his character doesn’t know what the gently caress Danny’s talking about.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

La Sexorcisto is a fun album.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well I guess I'm wrong about people hating The Rock's movies.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The Rock is a wall of meat who can act well in both action and comedy movies. His movies are just plain fun. He's massively successful for a reason.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 20, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just gonna reiterate how funny he is in Southland Tales.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

He had an amazing part in Reno 911: Miami.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The Rock is serviceable but I honestly can't think of any movie featuring The Rock that I wouldn't rather have someone else play him. He is a marketable actor with marketable charisma and a marketable brand, I'm glad he exists, but he's like a Voodoo graphics card.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Walking Tall and The Rundown are great

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm a pretty straight dude as far as I can tell but I could just look at him all day, especially without a shirt on :allears:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

credburn posted:

The Rock is serviceable but I honestly can't think of any movie featuring The Rock that I wouldn't rather have someone else play him. He is a marketable actor with marketable charisma and a marketable brand, I'm glad he exists, but he's like a Voodoo graphics card.

The Fast and Furious movie where he gets up from his hospital bed and flexes his cast off should have used who, exactly?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The Fast and Furious movie where he gets up from his hospital bed and flexes his cast off should have used who, exactly?

I haven't seen that :O

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

the rock shoving vince mcmahon's face into his cousin's giant rear end is an example of his undeniable charisma

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY3e1y3dolo

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 20, 2024

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

dr_rat posted:

The pacing is a bit off, and it tries to get a bit too serious for the type of goofy movie it is sometimes, but a great put it on in the background dumb action comedy.

I gave it a fair try a few months ago and bailed after about half an hour, always fun to see peak Arnold but the kid is terrible and it takes too long to get going. The first two Naked Gun movies and Loaded Weapon handle the over the top cop humor much more effectively, especially as they don’t bother with any grounded family drama.

Zugzwang posted:

The Rock is a wall of meat who can act well in both action and comedy movies. His movies are just plain fun. He's massively successful for a reason.

I thought he was a delight in Moana.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Congo gets panned as a bad B-movie, but B-movie is exactly the vibe they were going for! It's got an absolutely amazing cast with Ernie Hudson's Monroe Kelly as a particular standout.

Great hangover flick.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
God I love the Naked Gun movies. I think that's actually a pretty popular opinion but god, I love them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Das Boo posted:

God I love the Naked Gun movies. I think that's actually a pretty popular opinion but god, I love them.

Yea they’re fun as hell.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I will die on the hill that the Zach Snyder Dawn of the Dead remake is a really fun and good movie (in spite of Snyder) and I rewatch it whenever I get sick. Also the whole "we need to get to the tropical islands in the middle of Lake Superior, also we can't drink the salt water from the freshwater lake" thing at the end is very funny.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I will die on the hill that the Zach Snyder Dawn of the Dead remake is a really fun and good movie (in spite of Snyder) and I rewatch it whenever I get sick. Also the whole "we need to get to the tropical islands in the middle of Lake Superior, also we can't drink the salt water from the freshwater lake" thing at the end is very funny.

Who doesn't like the Dawn of the Dead remake? I think it's kind of known as the remake that is universally as loved as the universally loved film it was based on.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mordor She Wrote posted:

It's the only Snyder movie I enjoy, and I think James Gunn was better working in splatter movies than superhero ones (I like The Suicide Squad, which probably qualifies for this though - it feels like a Venture Bros episode, and I think that, The Doom Patrol TV show and Dredd are the only comic adaptations that get what's cool about comics)

The first 10 minutes or so of DotD 2004 are horrifying and spectacular. Admittedly, the film dips a lot after that, but the opening is great.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 20, 2024

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Disco Pope posted:

It's the only Snyder movie I enjoy, and I think James Gunn was better working in splatter movies than superhero ones (I like The Suicide Squad, which probably qualifies for this though - it feels like a Venture Bros episode, and I think that, The Doom Patrol TV show and Dredd are the only comic adaptations that get what's cool about comics)

The first 10 minutes or so of DotD 2004 are horrifying and spectacular. Admittedly, the film dips a lot after that, but the opening is great.

Zombie media peaked with the opening ten minutes of that movie, also Snyder deserves most of the poo poo he gets as a director, but the man does know how to cut a music video, this is legit the gold standard of the "news footage montage to introduce your movie" thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBGUdNlJL1E

though in the context of the movie how anyone got news footage is beyond me, the zombie apocalypse in this seems like one of those "oh everything is immediately hosed beyond repair" situations.

side note: if you read the early script for the movie they explain the reason they're leaving the mall is because the power and food are running out entirely instead of them just going "well gently caress it let's just leave"

also, zombie media being over done aside, I really just want a zombie movie that's just from a newsroom's perspective, Pontypool was ~kinda~ like that, or I guess if you want it for the modern audience a zombie movie told entirely from the perspective of twitch streamers or something.

Mordor She Wrote fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Congo gets panned as a bad B-movie, but B-movie is exactly the vibe they were going for! It's got an absolutely amazing cast with Ernie Hudson's Monroe Kelly as a particular standout.

Great hangover flick.

I saw it in the theaters as a kid and absolutely loved it. I still do!

This whole scene is great but this is the relevant part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fbGbPwKbQA&t=75s

And the remix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqlS9KhaskM

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 20, 2024