Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Congo was funny since people were expecting another Jurassic Park, but instead got a movie where a bunch of guys in ape suits get sawn in half by a diamond powered space laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I was so excited to bring home Congo The CDROM adventure game for Microsoft Windows my dad found at price club. It was basically jungle myst and I got stuck pretty quickly.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
those tom and jerry episodes that the simpsons parodied as "worker and parasite" were fine, actually

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Hammerite posted:

those tom and jerry episodes that the simpsons parodied as "worker and parasite" were fine, actually

:kstare:

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Those 70s Tom and Jerry cartoons where they’re cops (and partners!)and their sergeant is Curly Joe Derita or Joe Besser and it was complete crap.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Extra Large Marge posted:

Congo was funny since people were expecting another Jurassic Park, but instead got a movie where a bunch of guys in ape suits get sawn in half by a diamond powered space laser.

Joe Don Baker is hilarious in that movie.

Actually that movie kinda rules, I'll always love Laura Linney and Tim Curry and Ernie Hudson just run wild.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Stop eating my sesame cake!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ringo The 4th is universally reviled as a terrible album, and it's not Ringo Starr's best work. But many of the songs are not that bad at all (they just need a singer with more range) and the parts that are bad are 'so bad it's good'. Ringo drunkenly slurs his way through Can She Do It Like She Dances and it's as funny as it is catchy. His inept attempt to cash in on the disco craze in Drowning In the Sea of Love (he was drowning all right) is hilarious.

I actually have a fair amount of ironic/unironic affection for the album. I've heard far worse (Yoko's caterwauling on the second side of Live Peace At Toronto, for instance).

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
You know that makes me wanna mention something appropriate for this thread.

Yoko is fine. I think she gets a lot of unfair treatment by idiot sexists who think she broke up the Beatles and her music is weird but not a travesty.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Right. She definitely didn't break up the Beatles; they were heading that way since (Brian) Epstein's death at least. Some fans might say that the cracks were showing after they quit touring in 1965. To say that she alone was responsible for their breakup is really dumb.

As for Yoko's music, I've only listened to her stuff on Live Peace At Toronto (which I legitimately don't understand why anyone liked). I understand most of her other music is fine.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The death of Epstein gets weirdly overlooked as anything important (protip: it was extremely important and impactful) and instead weirdos go "oh John got a weird girlfriend that was obviously the reason" and then you find out that they don't know who Epstein even was or the issues the band had anyway and it clicks they just like blaming "that woman".

It sounds like a convoluted setup but goddamn I'd have some cash every time it played out.

Edit: I put the wrong name what is wrong with me lmao

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Extra Large Marge posted:

Wasn’t part of the problem that the Jurassic Park dinos didn’t have hair so were far easier to animate, but the tech was barely there for furry apes so they were limited badly in how often they could show up?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The comic book character, Speedball.

He's probably the reason I read New Warriors, I'm conflicted on the edgelord turn they took with him with Civil War but I also get him being a character thrown under the bus to set that story up.

He's a bit of a goofy character with a goofy power, but for some reason I found him sort of endearing because of that. I think he was late 80s/early 90s Marvel's attempt to create a new Spider-Man for that era and a lot of his powers and personality tend to mimic that: Powers from strange science mishap, highly kinectic, young, tended to joke and to screw up a lot.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yall want to know my favorite Michael Crichton film? The 13th Warrior. I think it was pretty poo poo on by critics, not that film critics know anything.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yall want to know my favorite Michael Crichton film? The 13th Warrior. I think it was pretty poo poo on by critics, not that film critics know anything.

The 13th Warrior is one of my favorite movies and I watch it a few times a year. Notably, a few nights ago.

My favorite scene is probably the one where he learns their language.

On that note, Kingdom of Heaven is absolutely fantastic. I think I may have seen it in theaters and wasn't as memorable but the director's cut is just top notch film. Sometimes I just turn it on and watch the first battle.

I haven't watched this clip on youtube but this is the part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0vEP3tMODI

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

I read the book (Eaters of the Dead) thinking it was a real journal :(

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

credburn posted:

tbf it's very loosely based on parts of a real journal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_ibn_Fadlan

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Outpost22 posted:

I don't know about love, but I find The Big Bang Theory pretty humorous. I'll watch a repeat every now and then for a laugh.

It’s not really unpopular, it’s just what losers think the internet wants them to say to appear “cool”.

You know how to tell if something isn’t popular? Is it:

A) Never discussed online, basically erased from history (I live with models)

Or

B) Constantly talked about in detailed discussions where all involved know the characters names, how the story lines run, and the plot of any episode mentioned (The Simpsons, Big bang)

We have a “New Simpsons is so bad, no one likes it” thread that has now been running 7 years and well over 600 pages. Hundreds of goons discussing each episode of a show they definitely don’t watch.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think I've seen maybe like 15 episodes of The Simpsons in my entire life and I'm going to keep it that way :twisted:

I've never seen any Big Bang Theory, seen maybe 10 episodes of South Park.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Extra row of tits posted:

We have a “New Simpsons is so bad, no one likes it” thread that has now been running 7 years and well over 600 pages. Hundreds of goons discussing each episode of a show they definitely don’t watch.

We had a volunteer watching the new season & reporting back, mostly to confirm Marge somehow finds new ways to sound even worse.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Extra row of tits posted:

It’s not really unpopular, it’s just what losers think the internet wants them to say to appear “cool”.

You know how to tell if something isn’t popular? Is it:

A) Never discussed online, basically erased from history (I live with models)

Or

B) Constantly talked about in detailed discussions where all involved know the characters names, how the story lines run, and the plot of any episode mentioned (The Simpsons, Big bang)

Lmao

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We had a volunteer watching the new season & reporting back, mostly to confirm Marge somehow finds new ways to sound even worse.

I watched a new episode recently and it hurt to hear her speak.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

credburn posted:

I think I only read the book once, where I read all the other Michael Crichton (before the climate change one) several times each. I'd forgotten it was written as a journal. Maybe I should read it again.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love Eaters of the Dead and The 13th Warrior, but, I've also never seen anyone hate on the 13th Warrior. In fact it seems beloved.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

redshirt posted:

I love Eaters of the Dead and The 13th Warrior, but, I've also never seen anyone hate on the 13th Warrior. In fact it seems beloved.

people love that sequence where banderas learns to speak viking by listening really good

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

dreezy posted:

people love that sequence where banderas learns to speak viking by listening really good

That's literally the only scene I remember from the whole movie

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

dreezy posted:

it's called immersion learning!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

dreezy posted:

I LISTENED!!!

There's a ton of great scenes! Like when the one smaller blonde Norseman who always calls him Little Brother picked a fight with a massive dude and pretended to get his rear end kicked and then at the very end murders the dude instantly because he could have any time at will.

"I cannot lift this..."
"Grow stronger!"

Then he goes to the smithy and has them cut his giant rear end sword to a smaller scimitar and then he's a loving badass with it flipping it around.

And they're all making fun for bring a small horse ("dog!") to war but, as before, he's a loving badass on it.

The viking prayer was cool as poo poo too! Such a fun movie!

timestamped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1acYvpR_E&t=163s

edit: also the giant viking just chest bumping a horse to the ground lol

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 21, 2024

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I won’t derail the Jon Stewart Returns thread, so I’ll say it here: John Oliver is a good watch. It’s informative and occasionally funny. The writing is formulaic and lacks any edge, but that’s sometimes reassuring and the topics and Oliver himself make up for it. It kinda feels like watching CBS Sunday morning as a kid with my mom.

I just watch the YouTube channel though, don’t think I’ve ever watched a complete episode.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I really like Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. It's extremely informative and seems to be well researched and a lot of his jokes suck but he knows it and that makes it kinda charming. :)

I think I saw a few full episodes years ago but I don't remember how they worked. I just watch the shorter youtube ones.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I LISTENED!!!

There's a ton of great scenes! Like when the one smaller blonde Norseman who always calls him Little Brother picked a fight with a massive dude and pretended to get his rear end kicked and then at the very end murders the dude instantly because he could have any time at will.

"I cannot lift this..."
"Grow stronger!"

Then he goes to the smithy and has them cut his giant rear end sword to a smaller scimitar and then he's a loving badass with it flipping it around.

And they're all making fun for bring a small horse ("dog!") to war but, as before, he's a loving badass on it.

The viking prayer was cool as poo poo too! Such a fun movie!

timestamped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1acYvpR_E&t=163s

edit: also the giant viking just chest bumping a horse to the ground lol

Dang now I want to watch the whole movie. Gonna search for where it's streaming.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I won’t derail the Jon Stewart Returns thread, so I’ll say it here: John Oliver is a good watch. It’s informative and occasionally funny. The writing is formulaic and lacks any edge, but that’s sometimes reassuring and the topics and Oliver himself make up for it. It kinda feels like watching CBS Sunday morning as a kid with my mom.

I just watch the YouTube channel though, don’t think I’ve ever watched a complete episode.

John Oliver is a good intro to topics you have no prior knowledge of at all, but god is it tedious to watch him talk about something you have heard before.

EDIT: John Oliver would probably be a great presenter for a show that does nothing but deep dives on the weirdest most trivial stuff ever, I would watch the poo poo out of that show.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I'm glad John Oliver has toned down his breaking-and-getting-angry-at-things bit. It's the kind of joke that's funny the first time.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I love John Oliver but had to stop watching because so much of his content is profoundly depressing.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I love John Oliver but had to stop watching because so much of his content is profoundly depressing.

Yeah, that's the major downside of his show.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol someone let Jon Stewart back on tv? Lmao

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Lol someone let Jon Stewart back on tv? Lmao

He and Colbert both owe the world an apology for "The Rally to Restore Sanity" or whatever the gently caress they called it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

He and Colbert both owe the world an apology for "The Rally to Restore Sanity" or whatever the gently caress they called it.

Was bummer to see Colbert go from innovative subversive peaking with Bush press dinner roast, to doing a wacky dance with Kissinger (look everyone, I have access! Who’s ready to forgive!?) to now being a tame late night presence.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think the 13th warrior is far better described as a bit forgotten about rather than hated. I remember really liking it and the book, but most other people I know seem to of just forgotten about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
All I know about Stewart lately is on his apple show he did a thing about climate change and was going on about how private businesses should be leading the charge to save the climate