Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Prometheus is actually a good movie and one of my favorite Christmas movies. Every time I accidentally catch it on TV I watch it to the end.

Yeah I rewatched Prometheus the other week and really enjoyed it. I can see being disappointed if you're expecting another Alien movie but if you just go in expecting a cool standalone sci-fi with some vague ties to Alien it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

As a huge Aliens nerd I feel Prometheus was worth it just so I could squee at the Derelict

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i liked in promethus when the space biologist went hi mr alien space snake let me get close to you and was killed by the alien space snake

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I really like both Avatar movies, they're really popular out in the normal person world but everyone on the internet seems to hate them. I like blue giants throwing soldiers out of airplanes and they look really nice. People clal them cartoons like they're totally owning up on them but cartoons are cool.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I liked Jupiter Ascending. I wouldn't call it an unqualified good movie, but it had big dumb ideas and the roght kind of weird pointless quirks and competent enough production. I'd watch a sequel.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Firefly. Joss Whedon is awful and it has…aged poorly. Fans went way overboard at the time. Its hatred by others is well-earned. But it felt different in a time when sci-fi felt very stagnant.

Star Trek: Picard. Around here, the general consensus seems to be that it murdered puppies. There’s a lot about it that I would change, but I’m also of the opinion that a lot of negativity is sour grapes that it’s the only new Star Trek that people outside the fandom really noticed or paid attention to, especially the last season. IMO, Star Trek begets Star Trek, and with the questionable status of Paramount as a successful streaming entity, I think it’s in too precarious a spot to be a negative fan base that it didn’t bat 1.000.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Earwicker posted:

i dont think the Black Album is widely hated? i mean that was the first album of theirs that broke into the mainstream, so some of the more die-hard fans were bitter about that, but it was a very popular album in its time and its still popular now

it was the next album, Load, that everyone hated. both fans and non-fans. but i think St. Anger is widely regarded as their worst album, which i agree with, but the near-collapse of the band during its recording resulted in Some Kind of Monster, which is an amazing movie.
Yeah, the worst anyone can say about Black Album is that it's "too mainstream" (which only diehard thrash metal nerds care about), but it has a few of their best songs, including their most popular one. I did like the widely-loathed Load and most subsequent albums.

I say "most", excluding St Anger. If anyone likes that album, that'd be a good post for this thread. Pretty sure not even the band likes it.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I really like both Avatar movies, they're really popular out in the normal person world but everyone on the internet seems to hate them. I like blue giants throwing soldiers out of airplanes and they look really nice. People clal them cartoons like they're totally owning up on them but cartoons are cool.
Haven't seen the second one yet. I saw the first one in IMAX 3D and was blown away. The story is, well, what it is, but the visuals are objectively among the most stunning of all time, so.

I remember its popularity led a lot of people to think that 3D TVs would become ubiquitous in homes. I guess that never materialized because most media isn't cut out for it. Not everything is better in 3D.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 20, 2023

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
A lot of people seem to hate Inception, but I loving loved it. It wasn't the same boring poo poo remade for nth time.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Dark Matter is my favorite dumb sci fi show and i'll never care what anyone says

EDIT

I loved Warehouse 13 too

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

I mentioned it in the other thread but the Netflix sitcom Friends From College got panned for the entire cast being unsympathetic, but the show consists of them continually reenacting the Sideshow Bob rake scene so it worked extremely well for me as an Always Sunny style schadenfreude generator. I'm not entirely sure that's what the creators were aiming for but you can't argue with results.

Same. When I finished the season, I happily went online to see when the next season might be coming out, only to discover that apparently everyone despised it? Idgi

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I liked the movie Sucker Punch. I think I might be the only one.

Admittedly, I was high on cough syrup when I first saw it a decade ago so that probably contributed to it.

I like the stylized poo poo, the music is excellent, the actors are surprisingly good besides the main actress. Oscar Isaac kills it.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Without comment

Halo the tv show.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

if i like something and then go online to discover it's got a bad reputation, i simply realise i was mistaken

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I liked the movie Sucker Punch. I think I might be the only one.

Admittedly, I was high on cough syrup when I first saw it a decade ago so that probably contributed to it.

I like the stylized poo poo, the music is excellent, the actors are surprisingly good besides the main actress. Oscar Isaac kills it.

I think you're onto something. Maybe being high on cough syrup is just the key for enjoying Zack Snyder movies.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Extra Large Marge posted:

I think you're onto something. Maybe being high on cough syrup is just the key for enjoying Zack Snyder movies.

:aaaaa:

I also liked 300 when it came out. I haven't seen a lot of his movies though. I hear they're not very good.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I really enjoyed the Netflix series Disenchantment, and it seems there are no other fans of it here.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SRQ posted:

I liked Caprica.

it was ok

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

I also liked 300 when it came out. I haven't seen a lot of his movies though. I hear they're not very good.

300 is good

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I thought The Spirit was great. It's like one of the most universally reviled movies but it's one of the only superhero movies I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_TOa7RdqNg

Just a very wildly stylized noir superhero romp with a bunch of famous actors chewing the scenery, what's not to love

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 21, 2023

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

I really enjoyed the Netflix series Disenchantment, and it seems there are no other fans of it here.

Yea it sucked rear end I'm afraid

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

As a huge Aliens nerd I feel Prometheus was worth it just so I could squee at the Derelict

How does one squee

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Smugworth posted:

Yea it sucked rear end I'm afraid

i really wish that it hadn't sucked rear end, but it did

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This song was really cool while high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxuwsHOOZx0

Beatles remake.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I thought The Spirit was great. It's like one of the most universally reviled movies but it's one of the only superhero movies I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_TOa7RdqNg

Just a very wildly stylized noir superhero romp with a bunch of famous actors chewing the scenery, what's not to love

This is more or less how I felt about the first Suicide Squad. Not a great movie, but it felt like a breath of fresh air compared to the endless stream of identical Disney Marvel flicks.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

I liked his Dawn of the Dead remake from 2004. Very different from the original but not in a bad way. And it predated the modern craze wherein there's way way too much zombie-related stuff.

His Watchmen film was okay. He nerfed Dr Manhattan's speech on Mars, which is one of my favorite pieces of writing ever. He also nerfed the final dialogue between Manhattan and the villain, which drives home a core point of the story. So there's that :shrug:

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 21, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Watchmen was ok. It weirded me out at first because I knew absolutely nothing about it. Overall I think it's a decent movie.

I haven't seen Dawn of the Dead since it came out in the theater. I liked it because it was set in Milwaukee which is near me. :)

I loving HATED the zombie craze during the 00s-10s though. Just sooooooo much absolutely everywhere. It got really old really fast. It's still old and I still roll my eyes at zombie anything which is unfortunate.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Black Snow Summer is a recent zombie thing that I thought was actually really good. It gets rid of a lot of the common zombie tropes: the zombies are 28 Days Later style running zombies, they rise immediately after someone dies, and the humans actually behave realistically instead of either being Selfless Victims or Selfish Badguys. It had a few really wacky scenes but it was pretty refreshing.

Another good recent zombie thing is the movie The Night Eats The World which manages to never do any of the cliche zombie movie stuff and instead focuses entirely on a guy sneaking around scavenging for supplies and dealing with the boredom of outlasting a zombie apocalypse.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 21, 2023

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Black Snow is brutal and I loved it

E: we're thinking of Black Summer not snow

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The fight between survivor groups over supplies in the snow is one of the most tense things I've ever seen in zombie media it's so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGxZbJ_xsEw

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Batman and Robin is the best Batman movie.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Watchmen was ok. It weirded me out at first because I knew absolutely nothing about it. Overall I think it's a decent movie.

I haven't seen Dawn of the Dead since it came out in the theater. I liked it because it was set in Milwaukee which is near me. :)

I loving HATED the zombie craze during the 00s-10s though. Just sooooooo much absolutely everywhere. It got really old really fast. It's still old and I still roll my eyes at zombie anything which is unfortunate.

I saw dawn of the dead 2004 in a mall theater at noon and there was only one other person there drinking booze straight out of the bottle, just an all around great experience

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Thor Dark World is my favorite Thor movie. Felt like it was more comfortable than the first one in the fantasy world, the Warriors Three are fun, plays to Hemsworth’s charisma without making him a parody, and good action scenes. Plus it was the one that made Asgard seem like a neat place to live.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

shirunei posted:

Without comment

Halo the tv show.
Finally watched this and it was awesome.

Nerds get so mad about the dumbest poo poo.

Like the Halo game was some bastion of storytelling.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

People were so mad about Master Chief talking and showing his face as if the Halo novels weren't like 80% Master Chief with his hat off talking to people

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Someone other than me loves Ginny & Georgia, but they don't post anywhere on these here forums

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I didn't know Halo had a TV show but bitching about the lore would be like bitching about the lore of Doom.

The entire story could be written in a few paragraphs.

Speaking of which, I love the 2005 Doom with Karl Urban (:swoon:). It's just dumb fun.

Oh! I just thought of another! Walking Tall with The Rock in 2004. Just classic cheesiness and the characters are fun. If it's on TV I'll probably turn it on.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Flash isn't good, but it also isn't bad.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

I can't imagine looking at Ezra Miller's little rat face for that long.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
NetHack. Good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

Truth.