Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

snack soul posted:

nothing beats a super funky open fermentation sour or wild ale

Dokapon Findom posted:

The local breweries try to get too clever by half and for the most part end up producing faddish, undrinkable garbage. I like a Heineken or a Miller High Life

Yah the former OUGHT to be the easiest least faddish beer possible (see: cantillon, abbey ales etc forever) and yet in the USA they end up being weird passion project garbage for pretentious jerks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

lived off of yuengling back in college on the east coast. probably haven’t had it in over a decade, but remember it being decent for a very cheap beer

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

plenty of breweries producing excellent sours in norcal. not sure i’d call it faddish, and definitely not undrinkable. as for easy to find ones (around here at least), russian river makes some great barrel aged sours

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

gently caress smoothie sours though. gross fuckin beers that popped off in popularity in the last few years. undrinkable saccharine garbage

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Idk I'm always seeing like watermelon lime sour or poblano avocado sour and frankly just please instead of sourcing locally grown teaberry essence or something just make a gueuze!!

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Idk I'm always seeing like watermelon lime sour or poblano avocado sour and frankly just please instead of sourcing locally grown teaberry essence or something just make a gueuze!!

nah how about this instead

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

snack soul posted:

lived off of yuengling back in college on the east coast. probably haven’t had it in over a decade, but remember it being decent for a very cheap beer

yuengling is quite good for the price but the owners are anti-union right wing psychos. but that's like every god damned brewery, except for the good beer part. they distribute to practically everything east of the Mississippi now, though

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Been getting into nonalcolic beer since this fall.

Let the hating begin.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhiofL2Rh4

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

every winter this big arboretum near me hosts their winter beer walk: a crowded, soul crushingly frigid affair where you go from stand to stand trying the absolute worst, failed science experiment brews they cannot possibly sell otherwise. it's kind of fun in a perverse way - last year was particularly funny because it was so cold most of the kegs froze solid

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

talking ginger bread pilsners and licorice coffee stouts and stuff while it's 10 below zero, it's incredible

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler has issued a correction as of 06:31 on Mar 22, 2024

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i like white claw

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I was told that seltzers are essentially beer thats just heavily filtered because that's easier/cheaper to do then adding spirits to carbonated water

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Cheesus posted:

Let the hating begin.

this actually helps if you want to break the habit of drinking every night after work, taper off for like a week with these

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Cheesus posted:

Let the hating begin.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting to drink less alcohol

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Let the hating begin.

Only an absolute shitheel would hate on you for this imo

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

remember freeasinbeer

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

remember freeasinbeer

Yup, he was ftw

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Rickards White (which I think got discontinued) or Belgian Moon are good summer beers. Kilkenny the rest of the year. But those are both expensive so I stick with Alexander Keiths most of the time

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Extremely thankful to be in the months where seasonal releases aren’t just lovely IPA variants that are indistinguishable from the normal lovely IPA’s

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Holy Beer...

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

pandy fackler posted:

cheladas are great me and my friends always make em with the corona familiar lager, clamato, lime and taijin

Yeah it's basically a white Midwesterner chelada

I don't get hangovers from them which is nice

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
2nite

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Bouillon Rube posted:

Extremely thankful to be in the months where seasonal releases aren’t just lovely IPA variants that are indistinguishable from the normal lovely IPA’s

can't wait for their summer pils... its extremely ftw

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

having some Sam Adams holiday beers tonight. they're fine

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

titty_baby_ posted:

I was told that seltzers are essentially beer thats just heavily filtered because that's easier/cheaper to do then adding spirits to carbonated water

idk how industrial scale works but you can absolutely make hard seltzer at home with beer yeast and the right nutrients

plus doing distilling takes time and energy, brewing is much easier mechanically

mad.radhu has issued a correction as of 02:27 on Dec 23, 2023

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

can't wait for their summer pils... its extremely ftw

hell yeah it is friend

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dokapon Findom posted:

The local breweries try to get too clever by half and for the most part end up producing faddish, undrinkable garbage. I like a Heineken or a Miller High Life

we're looking into opening a brewery and the faddish stuff is what makes a lot of money and draws people in, but really all I want to make is just good solid beer that people will say "give me the usual" about

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Saw Sam Adams Utopias for sale today.

230 loving dollars for a fancy 750 ml goblet looking thing of 28% abv "beer"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mad.radhu posted:

we're looking into opening a brewery and the faddish stuff is what makes a lot of money and draws people in, but really all I want to make is just good solid beer that people will say "give me the usual" about

I made friends eith the guy who owns a brewery here cuz we were talking and I said ,y fave style is an ESB and he was like "gun poop, when I started this biz I had two conditions and one was that no matter what we have an esb on tap" anyway workingmans beer ftw

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Vox Nihili posted:

:psyduck:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

mad.radhu posted:

Well it's a point of difference in a weird way. You could try doing both.

I hope this was sufficiently patronizing, as requested.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Vox Nihili posted:

Not sure if this is a "Veblen good" but if I can find this I'm so in!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I made friends eith the guy who owns a brewery here cuz we were talking and I said ,y fave style is an ESB and he was like "gun poop, when I started this biz I had two conditions and one was that no matter what we have an esb on tap" anyway workingmans beer ftw

Love the esb. The name is deceiving...

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Extra special bitters aren't bitter

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

cask conditioned ESBs are the best

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

Not sure if this is a "Veblen good" but if I can find this I'm so in!

yeah buy this for me so I can try it, TIA

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mad.radhu posted:

there's a few breweries here that have done pretty well by nailing several basic styles, and then doing very small batches of seasonal/weird stuff. you get the supernerds coming in to chase whatever new thing you got and while they're there they usually get a pint of whatever their fav of the standards are like everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003