Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tiny Rogues is a small (tiny?) game in concept. It's so small that the concept fits in a few gifs! :

That's the entire thing: a pretty arcade action roguelike that is played in small arenas, with some bullet hell influence. Enemies try to kill you, you kill them, advance stages, you level up, get randomized loot, reach the final boss, you kill it, game over.
But the important thing is that this "simple" concept is superbly well executed here: movement is tight, with a nice dash available to the player, there are dozens of enemies each with a different move and attack pattern, they are (and their projectiles) easily visible thanks to a very contrasty look with a visual style that is always clear, and there are many weapons and traits to make the experience very replayable. It's the type of game that I don't see how it could be better done than it is right now.

Although speaking of content, the game is having a big update... today, Dec 22nd 2023.
This is the total list provided by the single dev in a tweet:

555 Equipment items
32 Set Bonuses
400 Weapons
176 Consumables
115 Traits
68 Companions
43 Bosses
25 Different Levels / Zones
34 Player Class Characters

In fact with this last update the player progression and 'build' concept will be much more fleshed out, with more complex synergies and all that.

And here it's the last two trailers to give a better idea of how the game plays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir3XFF0RR08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFQEyv3HaWc

It's one of those games that are ideal to have permanently installed in your computer: small, always fun, and varied enough.

The game also has good controller setup, several difficulty levels, it is Steam Deck verified, etc.

Wiki: https://www.roguepedia.net/w/Main_Page

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2088570/Tiny_Rogues/

The dev: https://twitter.com/RubyBenji

The game is still in Early Access, and it was cheaper before, the price increased now to $10 because the new updates doubles the size of the game, and there are planned many more content updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game rules. I can't wait to get started with the new update :woop:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Might want to add the discord channel to the op since the dev is very active there. Easy to report bugs or gameplay feedback too

Also if you think the update is going to be too much then you're in luck

quote:

Made some preparations for the Tiny Rogues classic branch, please report back if you notice anything wonky with your save states. But I just noticed it's gonna be a bit harder to do than initially expected, Tiny Rogues classic branch will probably open some time in the new year.

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 22, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If you're like me and put a lot of stock in the music in your bideo james, and you like chip tunes, this game is a treat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT59nFtkI9s&t=725s

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Steam update post with a bunch of gifs of the new content: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2088570/view/3883856311462064032?l=english

I deleted my save file and achievements and will be beginning fresh with this new update :)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Tiny Rogues is GOAT'd !

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yes, the update is out. And... I'm rusty after not having played for months. Yeah, let's go with that excuse, it's me being rusty...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The enemies are wearing santa hats :kimchi:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

Yes, the update is out. And... I'm rusty after not having played for months. Yeah, let's go with that excuse, it's me being rusty...

Best tip I can give to new/returning players is to prioritize evade, block, stamina, armor, and soul hearts (in roughly that order).

Also hold onto your dashes until you absolutely need to use them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

0.2 is a lot harder than 0.1 was. Enemy stats have been tweaked, new (and more dynamic/harder-to-anticipate) enemies have been added, you no longer gain health/dashes/mana stars just by boosting your stats, and a lot of straightforward power-boosting traits have been replaced by weirder, more situational ones. Oh, and the metaprogression is different and a lot less power-boosty. I died a lot when I first went from 0.1 to 0.2.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I started at paragon 43, idk what it counted from before since now its boss kills for xp

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I was skeptical of the old version and never bothered with it but the new stuff is pretty great. Every time I read about how the game used to be I feel more confident in my decision to hold off.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Sure is harder than the beta branch where I could just crutch with demon hunter. The ez op trait combo is the 20% crit rate mark that auto applies + lethal hits from far range when you have a mark payoff. But you still need a good weapon to win.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jusupov posted:

I started at paragon 43, idk what it counted from before since now its boss kills for xp

There was a rough conversion from your total souls accumulated. I wouldn't worry about it.

Speaking of paragon levels, I really recommend turning on the Luck upgrade for the first 3 floors. It's immediately accessible with your first mastery point, first node left from the center. Makes a huge difference in getting your power curve rolling forward.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

Best tip I can give to new/returning players is to prioritize evade, block, stamina, armor, and soul hearts (in roughly that order).

Also hold onto your dashes until you absolutely need to use them.

Don't sleep on armor, if you have more than a couple points then blacksmith shops and repair powders (repeatable 10g purchase in the tavern, if you have cash to burn you can spend a few nights cycling tavern patrons until the vendor shows up) give you insane amounts of healing relative to all other layers of health. Block and evade are valuable for absorbing the occasional stray bullet since they auto-refresh but if you're taking damage regularly then you want armor more than anything else.

Another important newbie tip: you can blow up locked chests for a default money reward, and possibly some souls and maybe a key if you're lucky. Bombing blood chests also seems very likely to get you a health vial refill, so don't be scared to take blood chest rewards even if you can't afford to pay the health cost to open them (as long as you have bombs.)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Why mock me like this?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

This game is fun but I'm getting really annoyed at just the... utter lack of healing. I'll get multiple flask filling, taverns, even health fountain options when sitting at full HP... but when I'm at one heart and out of flasks I'll go through 3 floors without a single one.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Are souls now for the current run only like gold?

Back when i played this they were used also for some metaprogression.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GoldenPrice posted:

Are souls now for the current run only like gold?

Back when i played this they were used also for some metaprogression.
Yeah, souls are in-run currency only; meta upgrade xp is exclusively earned by killing bosses

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Souls are rarely useful (since soul shops are uncommon) until you've beaten level 10 with five different characters. At that point, you'll unlock guaranteed shops that use souls.

Alignment is similarly vestigial until that point.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

KittyEmpress posted:

This game is fun but I'm getting really annoyed at just the... utter lack of healing. I'll get multiple flask filling, taverns, even health fountain options when sitting at full HP... but when I'm at one heart and out of flasks I'll go through 3 floors without a single one.

There's a meta upgrade that makes healing events more common when you're at 1 heart, if that helps.

Also, Cinder 12 is when it starts to get really rough. Bosses having enchants is rooooough.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Infinity Gaia posted:

There's a meta upgrade that makes healing events more common when you're at 1 heart, if that helps.

Also, Cinder 12 is when it starts to get really rough. Bosses having enchants is rooooough.

I have that meta upgrade. I've lost my last 4 runs all because I will go 2-3+ floors on half a heart without finding a single way to heal.

It's actually making me annoyed, because I keep getting these good runs that get to floor 9-10, but they've been on one hit from death for 3 floors and inevitably I end up taking that one hit.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What I like:

Lots and lots of fun weapons. New areas are cool. Some of the music slaps.

What I dislike:

It's diluted as hell. It's much, much, much harder to get secondary stats now that they're not tied to your primary stats (which also seem to appear considerably less), and that's an enormous dent in your durability. I'm used to having almost about two to three times more hearts.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I feel like that's probably the point. I honestly thought the pre-update version was kinda way too easy so I'm appreciating the extra challenge in this version, even if I've yet to manage a win at even Cinder 12, let alone 16...

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Well, certain parts of the game are easier now than ever. It's much easier to do absolutely monstrous damage. It's just durability that's gone away.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I've played 10 runs now, have not won a single time. Every run except for one I have gotten at least to floor 7. It feels tremendously difficult in a not very fun way. Being always 3 hits from death is fine if I can regenerate those hits reliably, but I had another run get to floor 10 that had not gotten a single healing offer despite being at 1 heart from floor 5.

It's really getting quite bothersome.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Armor can give you a lot more than 3 hits before death and can be regenerated much more easily than health. Occasionally you just won't find any defensive items but that's more the exception than the rule.

EDIT: I also like the tent starting item as it gives you guaranteed healing every floor, you do have to grind a certain mastery level to unlock the second row of starting gifts but the requirement is pretty low.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 23, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Also! I've been playing on mouse + keyboard until now and figured that playing on controller would be a nightmare since you require so much precision with many attacks, but turns out the controller controls are really smooth. There's an auto lock mechanic where you just have to point in an enemy's general direction and then you will automatically shoot at that guy until it's dead.

I didn't explore the options further to see if there's a manual way of changing your target other than pointing the stick around, but it works really well which immediately means this is going to be a real fun Steam Deck game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

What annoys me of the RNG is how in some runs I will play six floors without ever encountering the blacksmith. Or in other runs he appears, but he has to do it just when I spent the money in a shop.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also! I've been playing on mouse + keyboard until now and figured that playing on controller would be a nightmare since you require so much precision with many attacks, but turns out the controller controls are really smooth. There's an auto lock mechanic where you just have to point in an enemy's general direction and then you will automatically shoot at that guy until it's dead.

I didn't explore the options further to see if there's a manual way of changing your target other than pointing the stick around, but it works really well which immediately means this is going to be a real fun Steam Deck game.

There is adjustable autoaim amount in the options, play with it.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I feel like that's probably the point. I honestly thought the pre-update version was kinda way too easy so I'm appreciating the extra challenge in this version, even if I've yet to manage a win at even Cinder 12, let alone 16...

There are people who still have to win at Cinder 1...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It was a bit awkward adjusting to the new mechanics at first (the game is a lot more stingy with epic and legendary weapons now and you have to actually avoid bullets now on mid-level floors which is fine) and felt some information overload, but I feel like I'm getting used to the new feel now. I managed to beat the shadow guardian boss on my second run, but now I have to deal with the karma mechanic to get any further.

How do you boost law to get through the first gate? It says you need an overall +4 law score to advance, but then how do you get sin or negative karma for the hell level? Also how do you get the keys to unlock the grate after Death but before the shadow realm?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What do I do here?

Also pick soul scarf for starting item when you unlock it. It is op.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It was a bit awkward adjusting to the new mechanics at first (the game is a lot more stingy with epic and legendary weapons now and you have to actually avoid bullets now on mid-level floors which is fine) and felt some information overload, but I feel like I'm getting used to the new feel now. I managed to beat the shadow guardian boss on my second run, but now I have to deal with the karma mechanic to get any further.

How do you boost law to get through the first gate? It says you need an overall +4 law score to advance, but then how do you get sin or negative karma for the hell level? Also how do you get the keys to unlock the grate after Death but before the shadow realm?

Now that you beat the guardian, several of the regular boss rooms will have exits to a law-aligned shop where you spend souls for a selection of items and each purchase boosts your Law alignment. So it's a little power boost too since you get extra opportunities to convert souls into stuff.

After you get through the law gate and beat the boss there, heaven and hell gates open up as alternate level 11s with the same deal: beat the guardian to open good and evil shops, go through aligned gates and fight alternate level 12 bosses.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

the holy poopacy posted:

Now that you beat the guardian, several of the regular boss rooms will have exits to a law-aligned shop where you spend souls for a selection of items and each purchase boosts your Law alignment. So it's a little power boost too since you get extra opportunities to convert souls into stuff.

After you get through the law gate and beat the boss there, heaven and hell gates open up as alternate level 11s with the same deal: beat the guardian to open good and evil shops, go through aligned gates and fight alternate level 12 bosses.

Okay, I think I got it.

If you plan on going to level 12 hell, get evil points. If you plan on going to level 12 heaven, get good points. Get the points from the respective good and evil shops. But does law/chaos alignment do anything? Also, do you need to be pure good/evil to get to level 12? In other words, will going to a law/chaos shop and buying things gently caress up your run?

Also still don't know how to get the keys to open that sewer grate after Death. Is Mega Death scrubbed the game too, btw? My world meta progress bar is a bit screwed up since I'm continuing on an old save but it's still counting toward unlocks anyways.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The grate is future content if I'm not mistaken. You get a key from clearing each of the Law/Good/Evil paths.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

No Wave posted:

What do I do here?

Also pick soul scarf for starting item when you unlock it. It is op.

In beta, clicking the ones in the middle of each side until one of them clicks then the center one opens a stairway. Could still be the same

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Okay, I think I got it.

Also, do you need to be pure good/evil to get to level 12? In other words, will going to a law/chaos shop and buying things gently caress up your run?

Nah, the two axes are independent of each other. You can qualify for two gates if you like.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the game is definitely harder now, and not in a 'oh there are more stuff so it's all more diluted now' way (although that is true too). I actually mean, for example, they are attack patterns in floor 5 already that are way more tricky than they were in a previous version, before you had to wait until Floor 8 for the tricky ones. And the classes themselves were more powerful before, with some traits had made them gain a ridiculous amount of armor, soul hearts or stamina, now their traits are less 'meaty'.

Imo, a bad choice, people with skills can play with higher cinder, people without those skills can't beat the game anymore, as there is no way to make the game easier.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
LOL at getting this Epic weapon from the first floor black market. It definitely made my run busted from that point on.

From then on I kept getting strokes of look with this and other equipment so I ended up trashing the rest of the run pretty easily. Also yeah, the Soul Scarf is super OP, just in a different way compared to before this update.

Why put an ichor bowl here? :nallears: I think this is just trolling from the dev for people not paying attention and thinking this is the end before heading up the divine throne.

Also, I guess you collect from each of the alternate Level 12s then open the grate. But I'm assuming there's nothing past the grate yet until the "Into the Abyss" expansion releases several months from now.

I still don't understand what law/chaos alignment does, though.

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, the game is definitely harder now, and not in a 'oh there are more stuff so it's all more diluted now' way (although that is true too). I actually mean, for example, they are attack patterns in floor 5 already that are way more tricky than they were in a previous version, before you had to wait until Floor 8 for the tricky ones. And the classes themselves were more powerful before, with some traits had made them gain a ridiculous amount of armor, soul hearts or stamina, now their traits are less 'meaty'.

Imo, a bad choice, people with skills can play with higher cinder, people without those skills can't beat the game anymore, as there is no way to make the game easier.

I can definitely tell which enemies got buffed, like those gargoyle/golem enemies that charge and smash with a huge AoE. As for the latter comment, I dunno. I don't consider myself particularly skilled but I like having more challenge before facing Death. On the other hand, it can be frustrating when the game refuses to drop an Epic weapon or armor by around level 7 or 8 and your run just feels screwed.

I like how there's more to unlock with the bonfire and a bunch more classes plus being able to use right click to insta-swap weapons now. If you combine the right perks and weapons/equipment, the synergies can get crazy busted.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The more I play the more likely I am to get hit by floor 1 boars because they're the only thing in the game that accelerate.