Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Suppression being moved up is a really good change.

Yeah it did not make a lot of sense that the red block and evade were top level but suppression was behind armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh gently caress since when has the Mystic's starting armor effect been infusion buffs. That's got synergy with Transcendence :eyepop:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just found out you can bomb an arcade machine for dice. The payout on arcades are so digusting

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

PostNouveau posted:

Just found out you can bomb an arcade machine for dice. The payout on arcades are so digusting

I believe it's 6 pulls, then bomb

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I can consistently get 10 pulls before it breaks.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Maybe it's changed. I used to break it fairly quickly before I started watching a roguelite YouTuber and learner about bombing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I usually just go until it breaks unless I'm for whatever reason low on cash. It pretty much always pays off.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah, I get a shitload of pulls usually. It's very OP, worth spending everything you got on usually.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah, I always pull 9 times then bomb and I haven't had one break since I started doing this.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I've never had it break on the 10th pull, but I have had it break on the 11th.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I usually just go until it breaks unless I'm for whatever reason low on cash. It pretty much always pays off.

The payout from the slot machine is definitely worth your money, but ideally you bomb it right before it would explode on its own, because then you get a final payout of dice. And those dice get doubled if you have the "bombing gives doubled rewards" meta perk.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

I've never bothered with all-companion builds the math just doesnt work out, there arent enough scaling factors to get them close to your own damage.

I got that achievement with Ninja, who's definitely the easiest way to ger it.

Ohhhhhh, I see why ninja. Just did a run with Swagger (triggers on-dash effect after 5 primary attacks) with a very fast weapon. I must have had 30 of those little shadow dudes running around the boss arena.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Ohhhhhh, I see why ninja. Just did a run with Swagger (triggers on-dash effect after 5 primary attacks) with a very fast weapon. I must have had 30 of those little shadow dudes running around the boss arena.

Had a run like thst recently too, which really put into perspective how worthless the clones become at around level 7/8, where even a gigantic stack of them were completely outclassed by all the other damage I was doing. Had some companion damage buffs too, so Im not sure what's up with that.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I feel like companions/trigger damage just need to have some small built in stat scaling, because such a huge portion of your damage scaling comes from that and the fixed damage amounts that scale off exp just don't keep up at all. Or just have it keep scaling per exp after level cap maybe.
As is, companions/triggered damage etc contribute a lot of damage until near the end of the base run and then fall off a cliff, or are auras and are overtuned enough to continue contributing while also giving base damage for your weapons which have actual scaling.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

5-companion (two rifles, 3 teddybears) run with Esper done on Cinder 12 (no soulhunter, no automatons, I forget the other 2 cinders I forwent). I technically cheated a little bit with having three psionic abilites that passively damaged enemies along with my rifles and teddybears. My two weapons were crappy and mostly served to add a bit of extra DoT/debuff. The two auras I had also didn't do any damage on their own, just amplified and gave +dmg to my companions.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Playing with CRT mode on makes you the most hardcore of all of us

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeh that poo poo got turned off immediately

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Not only that, but CRT mode with the non-pixel font. A true sicko.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
dozensofus.gif

The default font fuckin sucks for readability, and the game looks pretty drab without the CRT mode and scanlines :colbert:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Profanity posted:

dozensofus.gif

The default font fuckin sucks for readability, and the game looks pretty drab without the CRT mode and scanlines :colbert:

You're god drat right.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah turning the effects off is the sicko position whenever I've seen a video with them off the game looks so much worse.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I *did* turn down the screen curving thing from 100% to like 30% where it's just barely there but doesn't warp everything horribly.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

does anyone have any pointers for good paths to take in the mastery tree and also which traits of each color are generally considered the best?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

does anyone have any pointers for good paths to take in the mastery tree and also which traits of each color are generally considered the best?

In terms of good paths:

The free revival one is basically a must get.
The path that gets you "blacksmith can always upgrade to level 4" is generally
Secret Rooms Don't Contain Locked Items is just nice.
Always A Secret Room is also great.
Double rewards from bombing is amazing
Some people swear by the -1 alignment reward but I don't particularly care for it.

Traits are a lot harder because it depends heavily on your character and build.
Swagger, for example, makes anything with on dash effects way better and is good for things that proc off crits, but if neither of those apply then it's kind of eh.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

In terms of good paths:

The free revival one is basically a must get.
The path that gets you "blacksmith can always upgrade to level 4" is generally
Double rewards from bombing is amazing
Some people swear by the -1 alignment reward but I don't particularly care for it.

Traits are a lot harder because it depends heavily on your character and build.
Swagger, for example, makes anything with on dash effects way better and is good for things that proc off crits, but if neither of those apply then it's kind of eh.

Think the masteries are highly dependent on how many cinders you go for. The hitless boss reward ones are amazing on low cinder but can be useless on high cinder (depending on how skilled you are). Likewise, revive is amazing on high cinder but overkill on low cinder. Agree that I almost always take level 4 blacksmith along with cheaper upgrades though.

Traits are a giant mixed bag overall but I think earlier in the thread a goon posted the list of almost always good ones like Transcendence, Mage Blood, Auras, Best Friends Forever etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

Think the masteries are highly dependent on how many cinders you go for. The hitless boss reward ones are amazing on low cinder but can be useless on high cinder (depending on how skilled you are). Likewise, revive is amazing on high cinder but overkill on low cinder. Agree that I almost always take level 4 blacksmith along with cheaper upgrades though.

Traits are a giant mixed bag overall but I think earlier in the thread a goon posted the list of almost always good ones like Transcendence, Mage Blood, Auras, Best Friends Forever etc.

Yes but I am too lazy to constantly reshuffle my masteries for a marginal advantage.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Yes but I am too lazy to constantly reshuffle my masteries for a marginal advantage.

A loadout save feature would be nice, so I'd only have to do it once

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
The 2 boss fight automatons are 100% free on fights like the kraken but the library guardian fucks me up with them man

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ImpAtom posted:

As an aside it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that the locked basement doors were not the secret rooms.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

As an aside it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that the locked basement doors were not the secret rooms.

I had to use the highlight secret rooms mastery before I even realized there are bombable tiles.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Here's what I'm running for Masteries on C16, starting on the North section:

Hope: Required to get to other masteries
Bargain Hunter: I'd rather have reduced prices so I can buy more over a 35% chance of an extra item.
Supply and Demand: Souls are more rare than gold, therefore cheaper soul prices are better. Plus it makes getting to +/-4 easier.
Pay to Win: Required
Loss Leader: Gold is more abundant than souls as mentioned.
Loyalty: Some weapons require level 4 to upgrade and also the extra damage is great. Repair powder isn't that rare to get and you can remove negative enchantments from other sources.
First Aid: Good and required.
Quick Recovery: Not needed in lower cinders, highly recommended in high cinders as 2 seconds of drink time will kill you.
Shortcut: The ability to get a level quickly allows you to get through the early game quicker on high cinder. Not as important on low cinder.
Freedom: Easier dodging and required.
Smash and Grab: Very nice xp from shrines and dice from slots.
Trust Issues: Double trouble is a bit better, but can be super deadly if you get the wrong combo of mimics. The "free" rewards are nice.
Secret Service: A good early secret can carry the early floors if it's a solid rare/epic weapon.

West:

Lucky Start: Required
Lazy Stroll: Required
Friendship Quest: Typically the weapons given by Take This aren't that great and charms aren't that game changing early on to matter. A decent companion early on helps with DPS.
Glass is Half Full: I'd rather have less enemies than more because that means less stuff to dodge.
Vanity: Guaranteeing Epic/Legendary on everything is really really good later in the game.
Call to Adventure: Good and required.
Catharsis: Good and required
Farewell Drink: Taverns are one of the best rooms in the game due to potential black markets and rerolling the tavern.
Thief in the Shadows: 25% magic find is pretty nice, good if you can consistently beat bosses without getting hit.

South:

Backup Armory: Required
Perseverance: Negative enchantments can wreck a weapon, rather not have that happen.
Drinking on the Dot: Same as Farewell Drink since if you roll a black market, it's a pawn shop as well.
Smuggler's Nook: Extra black markets are great.

East:

In The Eleventh Hour: Really good and required.
Rebirth: Highly suggested on C16 runs
Roulette: Take your pick really, I like an extra gold dice since those are rare.
Ready to Go: Enchantments are more expensive than weapon upgrades with Loss Leader enabled. Worth more gold overall.

Some thoughts on other masteries:

Masteries that are pretty useless IMO: Throne Quest, High Stakes/Slow and Steady, Well Rounded Beast, Treasure Hunter (once you learn what to look for), Prodigy.

If I had 5 more points, which masteries would I build to? Opening Move, Personal Agency, Adaptability, Pandora's Boxes and Odyssey.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

Oh gently caress since when has the Mystic's starting armor effect been infusion buffs. That's got synergy with Transcendence :eyepop:

I have HORRIBLE news :negative:

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2088570/view/4053871165430773014

quote:

You can and must now also sacrifice soul hearts.

The cheese is over.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

quote:

Spoiled for Choice and Thief in the Shadows now both check if you have taken damage instead of checking if you have been hit. This makes it so you can make use of Suppression, Evade and Block to successfully trigger these effects.

Yay, I'm bad at dodging and seeing 4 choices more often is a big deal

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Alright, got the beat Death with every character achievement AND did it with a Tazer +8, so got that tough achievement out of the way too.

I dunno how you get the "Beat Death with 10 luck" one. I think I've maxed out at 3. Is there a character with a trait I'm not thinking of?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Alright, got the beat Death with every character achievement AND did it with a Tazer +8, so got that tough achievement out of the way too.

I dunno how you get the "Beat Death with 10 luck" one. I think I've maxed out at 3. Is there a character with a trait I'm not thinking of?

Superhero has a trait that gets you right there. Regular hero can do it too if you just buy as many things at the good aligned shops as possible.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Regular hero passive caps at 4 extra luck from goodness so that doesn't work (I tried). There are three or so achievements that are just "get the right superhero trait".

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I did a run at max cinder and finished it, that was not fun I will never do that again and only play with the cinder modifiers I am comfortable with god drat was that some poo poo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Reoxygenation posted:

I did a run at max cinder and finished it, that was not fun I will never do that again and only play with the cinder modifiers I am comfortable with god drat was that some poo poo

I've also beaten 16 Cinder and now I play at ~12 Cinder and I find that to be the sweet spot of challenge x enjoyability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I've been doing max cinder random select.