Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I got salty after dying on Tiamat trying to unlock the Dragoon and turned off most of the cinders while I try to unlock more characters. Random hero with more cinders sounds fun once I finish unlocking them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I unlocked the 30 masteries/max cinders and now play on 0 cinder because it’s easier to force gimmicks and that’s the kind of build I like playing

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I've also beaten 16 Cinder and now I play at ~12 Cinder and I find that to be the sweet spot of challenge x enjoyability.

Same, 12-14 seems to be a good spot. At least the maggot cinder & the "bosses have 2 adds" one has got to go for me.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The maggot cinder isn't even a challenge like the boss adds are. It just means you have to waste some time at the end of each room clearing up hp sponge enemies that don't threaten you.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The maggot cinder honestly sucks and doesn’t add much.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pestilence is alllmost there as a difficulty modifier, it just needs some more tweaking. The idea seems to be that you'd pop a carrier while in the middle of fighting/dodging other enemies and now you have a bunch of popcorn messing up the safe dodge zones.

The issue is 1. they're too beefy 2. there aren't enough of them. I would probably double the # of maggots while halving their health, along with not spawning maggots if you can squash the eggs before they explode.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

16 cinder, Chaos only, Final Destination.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Inzombiac posted:

16 cinder, Chaos only, Final Destination.

Already been running that, it's fun.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just unlocked jester by playing the bard like a wizard. I wish Instruments had more incentive to use, because there's a bunch of them but I almost never pick them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

I just unlocked jester by playing the bard like a wizard. I wish Instruments had more incentive to use, because there's a bunch of them but I almost never pick them.

yea we've talked about it previously too and there just doesn't seem to be much incentive to use them (outside the literal incentives to use them, i.e. bard buffs on sound damage :v: )

i wish there was more variety in them - the fact that they're all relatively mediocre range slow projectiles just makes them kind of... Bad as a category. i think it would be cool if different instruments had different projectiles, like the current slow wavy notes fit great for something like a flute but for an electric guitar or something you really expect something with more punch

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Random thing that I'm curious about, what do people use for their campfire gift? I've been exclusively using the bomb bag because missing out on early secret rooms due to not having bombs is awful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Einwand posted:

Random thing that I'm curious about, what do people use for their campfire gift? I've been exclusively using the bomb bag because missing out on early secret rooms due to not having bombs is awful.

I use the dice bag because starting with a handful of rerolls is absurdly loving good, to the point where if I try something else I feel horribly gimped in the early game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ImpAtom posted:

I use the dice bag because starting with a handful of rerolls is absurdly loving good, to the point where if I try something else I feel horribly gimped in the early game.

I also use the dice but occasionally use the keyring because I don't want to miss an early blacksmith because of a locked door.

Dice are overall a better choice, though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the dice seem like a really good choice which is why i picked them, but then i keep forgetting to use them constantly :downs:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Einwand posted:

I have the paragon perk that guarantees a secret room per floor so I go with the bombs, yeah. Dice are helpful but between arcade machines, the black market, the farmer, and plain old room rewards I can usually get enough dice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I have the paragon perk that guarantees a secret room per floor so I go with the bombs, yeah. Dice are helpful but between arcade machines, the black market, the farmer, and plain old room rewards I can usually get enough dice.

My feeling there is that the odds of getting a bomb room early on are significantly higher than getting a dice room and you get enough free dice that you could burn a reroll or two to get one and still come out a net positive.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I used to prefer bomb bag but now that the bombable spikes got replaced with non-bombable munchers there's not as much reason to take it anymore, so it's pretty much just dice.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder what RubyDev thinks a glaive is.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

It's apparently a term that's undergoing some evolution, in the sense that an 80's movie used "glaive" to refer to what was basically a windmill shuriken, and that meaning has been growing in popularity since.

I can't be too mad, there's too goddamn many terms for a pointy thing on the end of a long pole.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would say the reason the gigantic boomerang shuriken is now called a glaive is because of Krull, but everyone already mistakenly calls it a krull because of Krull.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's apparently a term that's undergoing some evolution, in the sense that an 80's movie used "glaive" to refer to what was basically a windmill shuriken, and that meaning has been growing in popularity since.

I can't be too mad, there's too goddamn many terms for a pointy thing on the end of a long pole.

Someone post that insane first edition AD&D picture of all the different polearms

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

http://classic.battle.net/war3/nightelf/units/huntress.shtml

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rofl what the hell :psyduck:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I was a big wc3 player and I have spent the majority of my life thinking glaives are thrown spinning boomerang type weapons

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Bald Stalin posted:

I was a big wc3 player and I have spent the majority of my life thinking glaives are thrown spinning boomerang type weapons

100% me too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I completely forgot about all those other definitions at some point and figured glaives were just spears but cut-y instead of stab-y

god language is weird

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
lol level 13 leviathan axe

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I was just trying to play the monk, body damage seems kinda rough. Even with the kangaroo and laser gauntlets, it felt pretty bad.

Are there any actual weapons that do body damage? Or is it a bard situation where it's best to just ignore the character ability and luck into some equipment synergies?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So the trick to Monk is that it's not actually a "body damage" class, it's an attack speed/dash class. Ki Flow gives you an absolutely ridiculous amount of attack speed, with the condition that you have to use body damage (e.g., punching) to trigger it.

Equipment: I used the starting Dojo Wraps (B Dex scaling, +60-140 body damage) up until Floor 8 at which point I got the Spirit Wraps (A Dex scaling, +100-180 body damage, Ki Flow on hit). The Kimono gave me +2 Stamina for most of my run until I got the Archangel Armor. Clockwork Boots (trigger Dash every 4 seconds) got replaced by Knife Boots (stab & bleed on dash). Horned Helmet does a huge amount of body damage every time I dash.

Traits: Because I knew Monk's passive ability gives me a ton of attack speed, I leaned into that. Alacrity is bonus attack speed per Dex scaling. Blunt Trauma inflicts Instability (+30% more top-end damage) and does striking damage every time I deal body damage. Swagger is an auto-crit and triggers Dash effects every 5th attack (does not trigger Ki Flow you have to manually dash still). Shock Aura is flat +damage which is very valuable at high attack speed, and amplifies my damage even more via Shock. Static Blows consumes Shock stacks and does a lot of damage (strong synergy with extreme attack speed and the Instability debuff from Blunt Trauma). Influence is just bonus attack speed; I could've rerolled for something better but I was pretty satisfied with my build.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
OK I've 100%'d this. When's the next update?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
No idea, Balatro

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I'm cycling between:

C16 Chaos runs of Tiny Rogues, Balatro and FF5 Pixel myself.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
After I 100%'d this I just...kept on playing. It's a pretty good game to play on my Steam Deck while I watch TV and hang out with my cats. Mainly I've just been dicking around with various playstyles (like Pacifist Necromancer/Esper runs) but I might have to bump up to C16 though just to get some challenge again.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been enjoying The Void Rains Upon Her Heart, similar kinda bullet hell roguelike thing, but you're fighting bosses.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Void Rains Upon Her Heart is just legitimately one of the best games made in the past 10 or so years.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Snooze Cruise posted:

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart is just legitimately one of the best games made in the past 10 or so years.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

Early Access for 6 years huh?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Not to derail too much but Void Rains and Nova Drift are really funny games that COULD get a full release but the devs insist on still being in early access cause they think they need to work on them still to make them full release "worthy"

Kinda insane

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Void Rains is only not "finished" because the dev added some additional characters whose stories haven't been fully implemented yet. But even if there was only the starting character, you'd still have a complete game's worth of stuff to do, and then some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Got a current win streak of 5 on C16 Chaos runs.