Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Why put an ichor bowl here? :nallears: I think this is just trolling from the dev for people not paying attention and thinking this is the end before heading up the divine throne.

:cawg: Try it and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, the game is definitely harder now, and not in a 'oh there are more stuff so it's all more diluted now' way (although that is true too). I actually mean, for example, they are attack patterns in floor 5 already that are way more tricky than they were in a previous version, before you had to wait until Floor 8 for the tricky ones. And the classes themselves were more powerful before, with some traits had made them gain a ridiculous amount of armor, soul hearts or stamina, now their traits are less 'meaty'.

Imo, a bad choice, people with skills can play with higher cinder, people without those skills can't beat the game anymore, as there is no way to make the game easier.

I have to agree. The new metaprogression systems feel clunky and pointless, Cinder 0 is now about as hard as Cinder 4-6 was before, and some of the new attacks are just stupidly cruel. It's way too easy to take an unavoidable hit now and at the same time all the evasion has been nerfed. And just to rub it in, being revived doesn't give i-frames so you take damage from whatever killed you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The new version felt extremely difficult at first playing it on the beta, but by the time you get a grip on how to make overpowered builds it gets a lot easier. Still more difficult than the OG Tiny Rogues but it was too easy, so more difficulty is good.

For anyone having trouble getting a win, IMO the easiest victory is the Wizard. Pick talents/rewards related to getting more mana, and getting more stats from mana. They scale incredibly hard, to the point where you can delete the end-game bosses in ~3 seconds or less with a good setup. Especially if you can get 100% crushing hit in the process because mana-scaling talents shoot your top-end damage through the roof. Metaprogression stuff tends to make the game quite a bit easier too.

Just walking clockwise around the wall of a room will avoid most attacks in the entire game (except on floor 10 where you want to go counter-clockwise because of the penta-laser skulls). There are some things you'll need to dash for like scorpions, sometimes dragonflies, late-game archer types, etc but if you just get used to circlestrafing around rooms you'll avoid lots of incoming damage.

I'm really loving this update and have put 30+ hours into it between the beta and now. Very excited for future updates!! Demon Hunter is my favorite new class.

And always take the starting Dice gift and prioritize dice reward rooms. Using dice well makes the game a whooole lot easier. Red dice have a fairly high rate of giving rooms stat rewards and blue dice let you avoid bad traits rolls. Don't forget that you can bomb arcade machines for more dice as long as they're not broken.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 23, 2023

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
The soul scarf is also great as it let you abuse potion to gain soul hearts.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Some of the mastery perks help quite a lot with survival. Lucky Start (+1 luck on first 3 floors) and Call to Adventure (suppression hearts on first 3 bosses) are immediately accessible from the start, cost 2 points total, and can easily make the difference between a run that snowballs and a run that gets killed via attrition. In the Eleventh Hour (more healing) and Rebirth (1 respawn) are also 2 points, as are First Aid (+1 flask) and Hope (+1 soul heart). After these 6, which I consider essential, you can just specialize in whichever you like.

deep dish peat moss posted:

The new version felt extremely difficult at first playing it on the beta, but by the time you get a grip on how to make overpowered builds it gets a lot easier.

Extremely broadly speaking, Strength focuses on getting their numbers as big as possible (crushing blow, ruthless hit), Dexterity wants to attack as fast as possible with flat +damage boosts (infusions, lucky hits, trigger hits, tallies), and Intelligence tries to compound different types of power boosts to get multiplicative scaling.

And always take the starting Dice gift and prioritize dice reward rooms. Using dice well makes the game a whooole lot easier.

Yep, dice are a godsend. Especially golden dice are much more useful now that boss rewards come in threes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Also the room rewards that show a gift box and say gain 2-3 random consumables are very, very good. They often contain phoenix feathers (give a rebirth while held in inventory), whetstones, armor repair powders and soul hearts.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 23, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This was fun. Crushing Blow (guaranteed max roll on damage) & Ruthless Hit (damage range is doubled) & Fighter's Reward (50% boost to top-end damage) plus extreme scaling from S strength, S str->dex and S dexterity for 13377 damage per vegetable.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1025090099714732143/1188184460315873290/bomby.webm

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
As far as I can tell, need 4 or more evil for level 12 Hell, 4+ law for level 12 Shadow Realm, 4+ Good for level 12 Heaven. Chaos does... Nothing, I guess?

Overall, new update is good. It's already 3 am here, I've just been playing this game non-stop lol.

Also, from what I can tell the whole gem soul guardian side quest from OG Tiny Rogues got scrapped, with Mega Death being renamed Primal Death and moved to Shadow Realm level 12 with some nice aesthetic upgrades, plus gem soul guardian also being moved to level 12 as a regular enemy.

I do have to say, though, the nightwalker-esque enemy on level 12 Shadow Realm with the countdown to death mechanic scared the poo poo out of me when I first saw it.

I have to say that making dedicated slots for charms was a great move since it was annoying having them clog up limited inventory space before. Also having a weight limit on equipment and set hunting adds some interesting decision-making to the game.

I think although the game was solid before it was a bit shallow which limited replayability. Although the system is a bit more complex and takes more time to get a handle on now, it adds more depth to the gameplay which I think is a good thing overall.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 23, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Cinder 16 is crazy. I find some of the early cinder levels get stale because the pool of enemy enchantments is so small but cinder 16 is just wall to wall insanity. I didn't think it would be as fun as it is. Cold damage is basically mandatory for someone of my skill level though I'm not dodging poo poo without that.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I just wish stamina recovery wasn't abysmal now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you're very lucky it's possible to get enough increased invincibility time after dashing from charms to hit 100% uptime of invincibility. Those charms would be really OP if stamina regen was faster or easier to get :v:

I find that I very rarely use dash in the current version of the game though, it generally just makes things worse for me by throwing me in the way of another projectile but maybe I'm just bad at reacting to it. Most attack patterns can be avoided by either running big circles around the room or standing still/making slight movements. There are tons of "safe" spots to stand in almost any attack pattern.

e: This advice does not apply to stage 12 bosses because those assholes have some really gnarly moves. Eden's thing where you have to stand inside a small moving ring while avoiding both small projectiles and spinning beams can gently caress right off :argh:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 23, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think this game has the most broken dash I've ever played with. You can dash into projectiles and you won't take damage, the iframes way exceed the animation. It definitely handles differently from a lot of games' dashes but its something worth getting used to.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ok, I got my first win, with the Priest (and a 'Deadly Galactic Bible'). Self-revives for the win. And honestly, I think not having to think on aiming with the orbital weapon, and focusing more that way on avoiding enemies helped me.

I just tried now the Pyromancer, and he dishes damage out of the wazoo, but he is the prototypical glass cannon, he doesn't have extra hearts, armor, soul hearts, block shields, anything to survive. Got only up to Floor 5 :P.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

This game is definitely more difficult than most roguelikes I've played, hearing that that's almost entirely because of changes in the new update is kind of... unfortunate. Because I'm pretty close to just giving up.

Too many runs where I get offered 0 shields, 0 armor with armor on it, 0 healing, etc.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Finally beat the stupid Shadow Realms so I can start earning new classes.

Took having the the 100% to trigger damage, triggers off of both my lucky hits and off my critical hits, the item that cycled automatically through the various types of hits, and a weapon that attacked about 5 times a second at range.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Beat death on my second run with the Ranger, I had an extra shield but with the one charge of evade I don't think I took actual damage until the 7th floor or so. I definitely prefer it when the game is more about positioning and timing your dodges to avoid taking damage instead of relying on stacking extra dodges/shields/hearts. It is a huge help to jack the auto-aim up in the controller settings to max so literally all you need to do is hold RT and make sure you don't get hit, feels more like a vampire survivors sorta game this way and lets me focus more on my positioning.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

Beat death on my second run with the Ranger, I had an extra shield but with the one charge of evade I don't think I took actual damage until the 7th floor or so. I definitely prefer it when the game is more about positioning and timing your dodges to avoid taking damage instead of relying on stacking extra dodges/shields/hearts. It is a huge help to jack the auto-aim up in the controller settings to max so literally all you need to do is hold RT and make sure you don't get hit, feels more like a vampire survivors sorta game this way and lets me focus more on my positioning.

Yes, and it's notably easier to play like that than trying it with mouse + keyboard...
Kinda the easy mode the game is lacking :P

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

Yes, and it's notably easier to play like that than trying it with mouse + keyboard...
Kinda the easy mode the game is lacking :P

I completely agree. It's real weird you can't do it with kb+m.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im bad at video games and am getting regular wins in the update. i think the difficulty is pretty good right now.

imo extra red dice is another upgrade that should be added to that list of stuff you want to beeline.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm convinced the dice kit is the best starting trinket in this new version. Absolutely crushed floors 11 and 12 on my first visit to floor 12, and I think using a metric ton of rerolls is the only thing that made it so.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

This game is definitely more difficult than most roguelikes I've played, hearing that that's almost entirely because of changes in the new update is kind of... unfortunate. Because I'm pretty close to just giving up.

Too many runs where I get offered 0 shields, 0 armor with armor on it, 0 healing, etc.

For what it's worth the dev has plans to add classic mode in as a beta branch

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
One pitfall I'm seeing people elsewhere struggle with: don't be too picky about food even if it's the "wrong" stat. The passive bonuses you get from off-stats are still helpful, there's a good chance you find a weapon that has cross-stat scaling, and you want as much experience as you can get anyhow. Falling behind the experience curve is extremely painful because it's not really linear, you want your build to be more than the sum of its parts and a lot of traits might not do much on their own, so getting more traits faster is very important to get things to start popping (especially if you do have a dud roll that needs more support to do anything for you.)

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 24, 2023

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yay, managed a win at Cinder 12. But drat the added modifiers from Cinder 16 seem insanity inducing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yay, managed a win at Cinder 12. But drat the added modifiers from Cinder 16 seem insanity inducing.
I did it with soul scarf demon hunter. I regretted not picking the EZ mode mastery node I think that helps a lot with getting a run going.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I recorded a video of a full run on Cinder 0 using a starter class in case it helps shed some light on how to dodge attacks or put together a build. I don't consider myself very good at Bullet Hell games but I do have 250+ runs of Tiny Rogues under my belt :hai:

e: Oh lmao it picked up the audio in the movie I was watching in the background and got blocked on copyright grounds. I'm trimming the audio out now and will repost it later

e2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CorRgpHdDw4

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 24, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
How the hell do you get evade? I have yet to see Evade on any item or skill since the update. Seems like another fake HP would be good, given how unbelievably rare any survival option is now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ranger's class ability is a baseline 1 Evade. There are a couple items that have it, but not a ton, and they're pretty rare because yeah Evade is very good.

Here's a full Cinder 10 playthrough as a Demon Hunter :2bong: Demon Hunter is the strongest class IMO for reasons that are evident throughout the video (super fast leveling, doubled dice reward rooms)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGP65GlLgoA

Survivability in general is good but overwhelming damage is better IMO, which is fairly easily accomplished with proper use of dice and picking the right rewards.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I dunno about taking dice as bonfire boon, I still think Soul Scarf is OP especially with the double flask upgrade. It's handy to have a bunch of soul hearts by the time you get to floors 11 and 12 just in case. The major downside is that it eats up the accessory slot and can be awkward switching back and forth with a good replacement since SS has 3 attunement.

Unrelated, but I've been grinding away for the past few hours as Thief trying to ascend and get Ninja but failing at the last moment, starting to get that Tetris effect from the bullets.

E: Rubber boots description says "get haste buff when you make it rain". How do you make it rain? :confused: It'd be hilarious if this can be taken metaphorically as well as literally and applies on money gun/flying pig etc.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 24, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Making it Rain is the set bonus for that set, I don't think there's a way to make it rain other than that, but I've never tried with the money gun or anything like that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Soul Scarf is alright but you start with no potions at Cinder 16 and you really want to get as strong as possible as fast as possible and the dice REALLY help you get that basic level of power going ASAP. Not that I've beaten Cinder 16 yet or anything...

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Making it Rain is the set bonus for that set, I don't think there's a way to make it rain other than that, but I've never tried with the money gun or anything like that.

i think some of the 'x rain' spells might trigger it, ive seen acid rain and a couple of others. just a wild guess though

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SKULL.GIF posted:

:cawg: Try it and see.

Okay, well played game. Got a laugh out of me, but makes sense since at that point you're basically immortal now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Just to shill soul scarf.

Here's a not very unusual floor 4 position:

All but one of those soul hearts is from soul scarf.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Are there any recommended classes to go unlock? I know some people are recommending Demon Hunter, but I'm kind of more interested in the new oddball/goofy classes like Super Hero, who by the way is just the Hero dressed up in a Saitama costume and mask :allears:.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

Just to shill soul scarf.

Here's a not very unusual floor 4 position:

All but one of those soul hearts is from soul scarf.

You sure that's not very unusual? You had to find several times the place that refills the flask, right? In my past run, I found zero!

Speaking of, I had my second win, now with the Bandit (basically, it was a typical archer/crit hit/lucky hit build). It was weird, I did it on my second computer and even if Steam updated the game and got the save from the cloud, when I played the game did the tutorial again. And... the game was easier than usual, you know? Maybe it was the RNG, but I had lots of food in the first two floors, in addition to the three 'free' food that the tutorial gives you.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

From what I can tell you get offered a lot more flasks when your flasks are empty. The best part is refills show up in soul shops and they cost 4 souls so are close to free.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Those refills take up spots that could be used for more stats and damage, I'd rather kill stuff before I get hit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ranger's class ability is a baseline 1 Evade. There are a couple items that have it, but not a ton, and they're pretty rare because yeah Evade is very good.

Here's a full Cinder 10 playthrough as a Demon Hunter :2bong: Demon Hunter is the strongest class IMO for reasons that are evident throughout the video (super fast leveling, doubled dice reward rooms)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGP65GlLgoA

Survivability in general is good but overwhelming damage is better IMO, which is fairly easily accomplished with proper use of dice and picking the right rewards.

I started playing in beta and demon hunter was one of the first classes I tried, and I liked it, but by the time I really got the hang of the game I had moved on and was trying out other classes.

I just unlocked demon hunter on the full version and jesus christ lol hardly any bosses got an attack off (this includes Death.)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

For people who are struggling to find additional survivability: are you finding the secret rooms and locked cellars? Across a full run that's about an entire floor's worth of pickups.

Blood chests also have a high chance of giving you an extra heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I got vial refills by bombing blood chests 3 times in a row so its possible thats just what they give. With double bombed chest pickups perk and a soul scarf thats pretty good value!