Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lmao i just got a sniper rifle that just nukes the entire map after a while after already picking up a bunch of gear that speeds up periodical effects so its pretty much activates after a second or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Just got the game thanks to this thread and beat Death for the first time with the Warrior when the game gave me the executioner's blade and a conical hat as my first items, it just made sense for me to keep studying the blade. That was pretty satisfying, Executioner's blade doesn't even seem like it's a very good weapon, just a big sword that swings in a wide arc that does bleed damage, but everything in my build ended up revolving around making things bleed so it worked out.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

No Wave posted:

I got vial refills by bombing blood chests 3 times in a row so its possible thats just what they give. With double bombed chest pickups perk and a soul scarf thats pretty good value!

I'll have to try specifically bombing these.

Time was, they were great value to unlock the hard way. But now that things have changed, it feels like both their value has gone down and the cost has gotten more terrifying, making them seem useless. (Do they even have max hearts any more?!?!) So I have largely avoided those rooms.

But the other hand, as others have said, I have had whole runs where I van get to floor eleven, and I might see one room, using rerolls, where there is an altar or a flask refill.

Santa can give flask refills in his gifts, but.....

Naw, I have had abysmal luck with that stupid trap scarf.

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Just got the game thanks to this thread and beat Death for the first time with the Warrior when the game gave me the executioner's blade and a conical hat as my first items, it just made sense for me to keep studying the blade. That was pretty satisfying, Executioner's blade doesn't even seem like it's a very good weapon, just a big sword that swings in a wide arc that does bleed damage, but everything in my build ended up revolving around making things bleed so it worked out.

Nope, that's the right idea. Very few weapons are outright bad. The triangle, maybe, if it still exists.....the idea is to pick one thing like you did and go all in on it. The beauty of this game is there's an enormous amount of things to go all in on, and many different ways to do it.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 24, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Are there any recommended classes to go unlock? I know some people are recommending Demon Hunter, but I'm kind of more interested in the new oddball/goofy classes like Super Hero, who by the way is just the Hero dressed up in a Saitama costume and mask :allears:.

Cyborg is cool, you start out with a punch that shoots lasers and a drone that shoots lasers, and there are unique Cyborg talents that are available every level (including one that's just a big laser that fires every 2 seconds)

Paladin is the strongest melee class IMO because it has absurd survivability right out the gate - multiple points of armor and armor automatically repairing at the start of each floor

Monk is really fun - its punch stacks a Ki buff on you and when you dash you expend all Ki to massively increase your attack speed (even if you swap to non-punches). It's kind of hard to use late-game unless you get the Straw Hat that extends punch range though.

Druid is a caster with a neat pets gimmick (unique druid pets that you gain/level up every floor that don't count toward companion limits) and an absurdly strong starting weapon.

Necromancer is another pet gimmick class but it's overshadowed by Druid IMO.

Esper is fun and has a lot of unique talents, including summoning floating psychic assault rifles and kitchen knives.

I also think Samurai is cool, its class gimmick is that every hit stacks a debuff (up to 7 IIRC? Don't have it unlocked right now) that if you stop attacking that enemy for a second or two, explodes for large damage. It's not the most powerful class but it feels stylish to slash an enemy a few times then dash through it while it dies.

And Alchemist is really strong too, every floor has a locked Alchemist Lab that lets you transmute an item (upgrade it to a higher-rarity version of the same item class, reroll it within its rarity, etc). It lets you fish for strong weapons and gear very easily.

Every class is pretty fun in its own ways and I'm very impressed with how much they all lean into their themes in unique ways, but the ones above are IMO the most fun gimmicks.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 24, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Seconding Paladin as easy-mode. But of the base classes I think Mystic, Knight, and Wizard are the strongest and simplest to actually rack wins with.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Time was, they were great value to unlock the hard way. But now that things have changed, it feels like both their value has gone down and the cost has gotten more terrifying, making them seem useless. (Do they even have max hearts any more?!?!) So I have largely avoided those rooms.

Yes, that's what I meant earlier when I said blood chests can give hearts. Even if they don't give hearts they usually give you something else really valuable, like vitamins.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So, in answer to the question of which class to unlock, the answer is a very King Piccolo voice yelling "All of them!?"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Cyborg's unique talents feel pretty meh to me although if you stick with unarmed he does have ROCKET PUNCH

Esper's uniques are mostly about non-attacking sources of damage, which isn't particularly my cup of tea but is good for a gimmick run when you get bored of the usual.

Superhero is my favorite unique talent tree, you only get one unique pick but they're all super high impact and allow for some ridiculous gimmicks.

Veryslightlymad posted:

You can get max hearts from blood chests, although they mostly give out charms and stat growth pills. Blood chest mimics are slam picks though, they are one of the tougher mimic fights but still way easier than bosses for a very good shot at an extra heart.

Blood altars can also be bombed for flask refills and the normal rewards generally seem less worthwhile (although at least you can see them in advance I guess?)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's worth noting that if you stock up a lot of blue dice and use them all at the same levelup the talents all only appear once each and eventually you'll start being offered the superhero and esper talents on any class. I think this takes around 14 blue dice to start happening though (so you need even more to fish for a specific one). You don't have to expend every non-superhero/esper talent in the pool, they just start popping up after a while. It's not very feasible to aim for but if you have the excess dice and your build defining talents you may as well because those superhero talents can give 5 hearts/armor or 30 to a stat.

You can also sometimes get superhero talents at level 6 on any class even without reroll spamming unless that changed since the beta

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 24, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's worth noting that if you stock up a lot of blue dice and use them all at the same levelup the talents all only appear once each and eventually you'll start being offered the superhero and esper talents on any class [...]

Similarly, like 4-5 red dice on bosses from Floor 8 or higher will eventually roll a guaranteed Legendary payout.

Dice are really, really good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How do you gain access to the second set of classes? I guess you need to advance first the world tier.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Holy hell. I just had a run where I had a flower pot helmet, the quasar-shooting accessory, the hammer that reduces your periodical cooldowns by .25 seconds, and over 7 attacks per second. This game never ceases to amaze with how many random pieces of stuff you can make absolutely bonkers.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

How do you gain access to the second set of classes? I guess you need to advance first the world tier.

Yeah, unfortunately they're all gated behind post-Death bosses.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Broken Cog posted:

Those refills take up spots that could be used for more stats and damage, I'd rather kill stuff before I get hit.

If it's a choice between potion/flask or gold/flask (especially the full flask rooms), it's a pretty easy trade. Plus, having a cushion of soul hearts to fall back on helps me to play more confidently, as opposed to being on 2 red hearts constantly which makes me feel like I'm always playing on the edge. Not only that, but the "Power Hungry" trait means having up to 10 soul hearts that directly translate to 100 power which means more damage too.

Not saying your playstyle is wrong, but I enjoy going the Soul Scarf route almost every time.

E: Also as another poster said above, the game seems biased toward giving flasks when yours are empty. So use them up each time you see them to pump out soul hearts.

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

That is something else I'm really starting to appreciate about this build of the game, I.e. You can build your character up toward specific synergies and archetypes.

Playing as the Gunner who starts with lucky hit = repeat shot? Find traits and items that plah into that with trigger on Lucky hit and repeat shot does X or Y. It makes the game a lot more addicting and interesting to see what pops out a la Binding of Isaac on a meta level.

the holy poopacy posted:

Cyborg's unique talents feel pretty meh to me although if you stick with unarmed he does have ROCKET PUNCH

Esper's uniques are mostly about non-attacking sources of damage, which isn't particularly my cup of tea but is good for a gimmick run when you get bored of the usual.

Superhero is my favorite unique talent tree, you only get one unique pick but they're all super high impact and allow for some ridiculous gimmicks.

You can get max hearts from blood chests, although they mostly give out charms and stat growth pills. Blood chest mimics are slam picks though, they are one of the tougher mimic fights but still way easier than bosses for a very good shot at an extra heart.

Blood altars can also be bombed for flask refills and the normal rewards generally seem less worthwhile (although at least you can see them in advance I guess?)

:stare: Holy poo poo, I did not realize this at all since I always try to avoid blood chest rooms.

It's worth noting that if you stock up a lot of blue dice and use them all at the same levelup the talents all only appear once each and eventually you'll start being offered the superhero and esper talents on any class. I think this takes around 14 blue dice to start happening though (so you need even more to fish for a specific one). You don't have to expend every non-superhero/esper talent in the pool, they just start popping up after a while. It's not very feasible to aim for but if you have the excess dice and your build defining talents you may as well because those superhero talents can give 5 hearts/armor or 30 to a stat.

You can also sometimes get superhero talents at level 6 on any class even without reroll spamming unless that changed since the beta

This too, although I have been using the 4-5 red dice "exploit" for legendaries already.

This game, man.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 25, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Either:
A)I have solved my earlier durability woes
B)Sorcerer remains really loving good. Unfortunately, I didn't have the necessary law to keep going, but I got my class unlock, so I'm happy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Either:
A)I have solved my earlier durability woes
B)Sorcerer remains really loving good. Unfortunately, I didn't have the necessary law to keep going, but I got my class unlock, so I'm happy.

Sorcerer now comes with an extra soul heart each floor which is really nice. Having some shields to protect the soul hearts is a pro move, especially if you take Power Hungry trait.

The Power Hungry trait is really good, is what I'm saying.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

How on earth do you even get 14 blue dice :stare: I rarely seem to see more than 3 or 4 dice rewards offered per run, even with the +1 ethereal dice per pack meta ability and the starter pack that's unlikely to get you past 10.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
LOL I just completed a Hell run where I just barely managed to pass the gate check for +4 evil by wearing the devil horns since the evil shop just kept refusing to show up. I like to imagine the gatekeepers checking for suitably evil individuals and some guy just slaps on devil horns (squints) "seems legit, go on through".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tiny Rogues was the coziest thing to play in bed while I had COVID and it is shocking how much replayability there is in these little scampering pixel fellas. Good game, zippy zoopy gunslinger dashing build fun as hell.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Sorcerer now comes with an extra soul heart each floor which is really nice. Having some shields to protect the soul hearts is a pro move, especially if you take Power Hungry trait.

The Power Hungry trait is really good, is what I'm saying.

I lost yesterday a Sorcerer run with Power Hungry and tons of soul hearts in the mid game. I'm still depressed about it. I really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, I was totally deleting floors super easily, but on the last floors I didn't get good traits and I started to feel my power wasn't climbing up as it should anymore, then on the last four or five rooms I was hit several times, and finally Death killed me on the second form at 15% hp. :/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the holy poopacy posted:

How on earth do you even get 14 blue dice :stare: I rarely seem to see more than 3 or 4 dice rewards offered per run, even with the +1 ethereal dice per pack meta ability and the starter pack that's unlikely to get you past 10.

Try bombing arcade machines before they break.

Luck will also give you bonus dice if they proc on rewards.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sure, but the average number of arcades per run is 0.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Turin Turambar posted:

I lost yesterday a Sorcerer run with Power Hungry and tons of soul hearts in the mid game. I'm still depressed about it. I really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, I was totally deleting floors super easily, but on the last floors I didn't get good traits and I started to feel my power wasn't climbing up as it should anymore, then on the last four or five rooms I was hit several times, and finally Death killed me on the second form at 15% hp. :/

I forget which class I was playing as, but I kept getting frustrated at not getting the rooms or items I needed constantly, up until like floor 9 or 10. I was so upset I threw away a trait using a trait tome in desperation to get something to click, then the next room over I got a legendary from a chest and suddenly everything clicked into place.

What I'm trying to say is that don't give up - something will eventually pan out, even if it's by floor 10.

Side note, I keep reading the Cap'n'bells hat as Cap'n'balls. I dunno if that's intentional or not.

e: Any idea how many tries at the slot machine it takes before it breaks? I feel like I get a ton of great loot out of it each time, so I don't want to bomb it too early.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

e: Any idea how many tries at the slot machine it takes before it breaks? I feel like I get a ton of great loot out of it each time, so I don't want to bomb it too early.

More than 15, fewer than 30. I usually bomb it once I score several rewards rather than relying on a specific count of coins fed into it. You gotta develop a feel for it I think.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Wow, I don't know that I've ever gotten more than 15 spins. I think 10 spins is 100% safe, it can definitely break on 11.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I can't bring myself to bomb em unless I actually don't have money. Some of their rewards are bananas.

I'm pretty sure number of spins and also payout are both based on luck, but I could be mistaken.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Rewards are definitely influenced by luck, but I don't know that number of spins are. Even with super luck superhero runs they seem to break 12-15 spins in (with basically 100% hit rate.)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Two-fer:

https://twitter.com/RubyBenji/status/1739357999490039998

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

It's definitely not something you can do consistently, but:

Dice Box will start you out with 2-3 blue dice
Dice Rooms give ~3+ more, and if you're playing DH you sometimes get double dice room rewards.
Arcades can be bombed to give a bunch, and there's a metaprogression unlock that makes them give twice as many dice when bombed. With the metaprogression thing they often give 5+ blue dice.
Also I think sometimes the knight in the tavern offers blue dice if you have a Rare/Epic/Legendary weapon?

In my current run I'm already at 7 on floor 1 from starting dice box and 2 dice reward rooms:

of course the hard part, even when you do get showered in dice, is not using them on early levels :v:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 25, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Got my third victory, with the knight. And drat, I sweated for it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
First throne victory after entering the bossfight with two green health and just an epic weapon. Was only going for the cyborg unlock, but I'll take it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm trying to get all the basic classes, but of course when i do that the game won't ever give me a stupid polearm/spear weapon! (for the soldier unlock)

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

How do you unlock the second set of classes?
I ascended the throne as the ranger through the middle path, but didn't see anything of the sort related to unlocking the classes.

I'm currently on world tier 5.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Balance is definitely wonky right now, some classes are much safer than others and get on the latest floors more times and having an easier time. The same with weapons, I am finding short ranged weapons barely more powerful than far ranged weapons (as eventually damage comes from crits, lucky hits and synergies) but short ranged weapons are notably more risky.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Flame Guy posted:

How do you unlock the second set of classes?
I ascended the throne as the ranger through the middle path, but didn't see anything of the sort related to unlocking the classes.

I'm currently on world tier 5.

Every advanced class unlock involves beating a specific level 11+ boss with the corresponding basic class. Now that you ascended the first throne a fair number of them should be visible on your class unlocks tab (the padlock icon at right on the character select screen) but you will need to progress a couple world tiers to get the rest of them to be available.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Here's a full Cinder 10 playthrough as a Demon Hunter :2bong: Demon Hunter is the strongest class IMO for reasons that are evident throughout the video (super fast leveling, doubled dice reward rooms)

Where do those tainted rooms come from? They seem real nice!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
By the way, for anyone who's not following development, the dev posted this teaser for the new headline feature of the patch that's supposed to be coming out Friday:

Seems like a pretty elegant solution to survivability issues--souls are largely pointless until you get to the post-Death alignment routes and even then it's often difficult to find worthwhile things to spend all of them on. This should make them immediately relevant and turn the alignment shops into more of a tradeoff: if you don't need the extra boost you can still go hog wild on soul shops, if you're struggling then you have to juggle your soul purchases very carefully but should still be able to buy several upgrades and get enough alignment to unlock level 12. (This also does make the throne requirement metaprogression perk more relevant since shaving 1 point off the reqs gives you a lot more leeway to plug souls into upgrades.)

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Where do those tainted rooms come from? They seem real nice!

Tainted rooms are the Demon Hunter's entire class mechanic and it does indeed own. Early floors are boring enough that the extra enemy spawns are a welcome diversion and later floors are hard enough that the tainted spawns aren't going to make a real difference, so it's pretty much just free loot.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 26, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Jesus Christ, a combination of Ocarina of Time (Legendary ocarina that doubles rate of periodical effects) + Inferno Treads (Legendary boots that periodically triggers raining fire per movement) + Wyvern Set (+20% damage against everybody) + Combustion perk (trigger fiery burst every 4 burn tick tally) + Dynamo (periodically increment all active counters by 1 and periodical effects by 0.25 seconds per 1 unit moved) will absolutely wreck anything in your path. Like, literally just hold M1 and move and the enemies erase themselves from existence for you. My screen kept shaking from the insane amount of raining fire + fire burst triggers. Crazy.

Also, looking at the Monk, it looks like he specializes in body damage. Are there any weapons besides bare fists that do body damage? Otherwise that seems like a pretty hard class to use.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 26, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
There are a few secondary attacks from traits/equipment that do body damage. Fists are more viable than you might think, every glove item in the game now gives some kind of boost. Also note that the monk's mechanic only requires body damage to charge his bonus, so you can still pack a real weapon to abuse the bonuses with.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So what's the deal with the souls you collect? I've had about six runs of the updated game, completed it on one character, and I've never seen a single place to spend them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So what's the deal with the souls you collect? I've had about six runs of the updated game, completed it on one character, and I've never seen a single place to spend them in.

There are shops that deal in souls (there will always be at least one if you find a black market, and they sometimes randomly show up as regular shop rooms.) They're pretty rare until after you make more progress on your save, which will make special soul shops show up more consistently.

There's an update slated for later this week that apparently will let you spend souls for bonuses at the start of (some? all?) levels.