Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The new version felt extremely difficult at first playing it on the beta, but by the time you get a grip on how to make overpowered builds it gets a lot easier. Still more difficult than the OG Tiny Rogues but it was too easy, so more difficulty is good.

For anyone having trouble getting a win, IMO the easiest victory is the Wizard. Pick talents/rewards related to getting more mana, and getting more stats from mana. They scale incredibly hard, to the point where you can delete the end-game bosses in ~3 seconds or less with a good setup. Especially if you can get 100% crushing hit in the process because mana-scaling talents shoot your top-end damage through the roof. Metaprogression stuff tends to make the game quite a bit easier too.

Just walking clockwise around the wall of a room will avoid most attacks in the entire game (except on floor 10 where you want to go counter-clockwise because of the penta-laser skulls). There are some things you'll need to dash for like scorpions, sometimes dragonflies, late-game archer types, etc but if you just get used to circlestrafing around rooms you'll avoid lots of incoming damage.

I'm really loving this update and have put 30+ hours into it between the beta and now. Very excited for future updates!! Demon Hunter is my favorite new class.

And always take the starting Dice gift and prioritize dice reward rooms. Using dice well makes the game a whooole lot easier. Red dice have a fairly high rate of giving rooms stat rewards and blue dice let you avoid bad traits rolls. Don't forget that you can bomb arcade machines for more dice as long as they're not broken.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Also the room rewards that show a gift box and say gain 2-3 random consumables are very, very good. They often contain phoenix feathers (give a rebirth while held in inventory), whetstones, armor repair powders and soul hearts.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 23, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you're very lucky it's possible to get enough increased invincibility time after dashing from charms to hit 100% uptime of invincibility. Those charms would be really OP if stamina regen was faster or easier to get :v:

I find that I very rarely use dash in the current version of the game though, it generally just makes things worse for me by throwing me in the way of another projectile but maybe I'm just bad at reacting to it. Most attack patterns can be avoided by either running big circles around the room or standing still/making slight movements. There are tons of "safe" spots to stand in almost any attack pattern.

e: This advice does not apply to stage 12 bosses because those assholes have some really gnarly moves. Eden's thing where you have to stand inside a small moving ring while avoiding both small projectiles and spinning beams can gently caress right off :argh:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 23, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

This game is definitely more difficult than most roguelikes I've played, hearing that that's almost entirely because of changes in the new update is kind of... unfortunate. Because I'm pretty close to just giving up.

Too many runs where I get offered 0 shields, 0 armor with armor on it, 0 healing, etc.

For what it's worth the dev has plans to add classic mode in as a beta branch

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I recorded a video of a full run on Cinder 0 using a starter class in case it helps shed some light on how to dodge attacks or put together a build. I don't consider myself very good at Bullet Hell games but I do have 250+ runs of Tiny Rogues under my belt :hai:

e: Oh lmao it picked up the audio in the movie I was watching in the background and got blocked on copyright grounds. I'm trimming the audio out now and will repost it later

e2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CorRgpHdDw4

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 24, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ranger's class ability is a baseline 1 Evade. There are a couple items that have it, but not a ton, and they're pretty rare because yeah Evade is very good.

Here's a full Cinder 10 playthrough as a Demon Hunter :2bong: Demon Hunter is the strongest class IMO for reasons that are evident throughout the video (super fast leveling, doubled dice reward rooms)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGP65GlLgoA

Survivability in general is good but overwhelming damage is better IMO, which is fairly easily accomplished with proper use of dice and picking the right rewards.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Making it Rain is the set bonus for that set, I don't think there's a way to make it rain other than that, but I've never tried with the money gun or anything like that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Are there any recommended classes to go unlock? I know some people are recommending Demon Hunter, but I'm kind of more interested in the new oddball/goofy classes like Super Hero, who by the way is just the Hero dressed up in a Saitama costume and mask :allears:.

Cyborg is cool, you start out with a punch that shoots lasers and a drone that shoots lasers, and there are unique Cyborg talents that are available every level (including one that's just a big laser that fires every 2 seconds)

Paladin is the strongest melee class IMO because it has absurd survivability right out the gate - multiple points of armor and armor automatically repairing at the start of each floor

Monk is really fun - its punch stacks a Ki buff on you and when you dash you expend all Ki to massively increase your attack speed (even if you swap to non-punches). It's kind of hard to use late-game unless you get the Straw Hat that extends punch range though.

Druid is a caster with a neat pets gimmick (unique druid pets that you gain/level up every floor that don't count toward companion limits) and an absurdly strong starting weapon.

Necromancer is another pet gimmick class but it's overshadowed by Druid IMO.

Esper is fun and has a lot of unique talents, including summoning floating psychic assault rifles and kitchen knives.

I also think Samurai is cool, its class gimmick is that every hit stacks a debuff (up to 7 IIRC? Don't have it unlocked right now) that if you stop attacking that enemy for a second or two, explodes for large damage. It's not the most powerful class but it feels stylish to slash an enemy a few times then dash through it while it dies.

And Alchemist is really strong too, every floor has a locked Alchemist Lab that lets you transmute an item (upgrade it to a higher-rarity version of the same item class, reroll it within its rarity, etc). It lets you fish for strong weapons and gear very easily.

Every class is pretty fun in its own ways and I'm very impressed with how much they all lean into their themes in unique ways, but the ones above are IMO the most fun gimmicks.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 24, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's worth noting that if you stock up a lot of blue dice and use them all at the same levelup the talents all only appear once each and eventually you'll start being offered the superhero and esper talents on any class. I think this takes around 14 blue dice to start happening though (so you need even more to fish for a specific one). You don't have to expend every non-superhero/esper talent in the pool, they just start popping up after a while. It's not very feasible to aim for but if you have the excess dice and your build defining talents you may as well because those superhero talents can give 5 hearts/armor or 30 to a stat.

You can also sometimes get superhero talents at level 6 on any class even without reroll spamming unless that changed since the beta

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 24, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

How on earth do you even get 14 blue dice :stare: I rarely seem to see more than 3 or 4 dice rewards offered per run, even with the +1 ethereal dice per pack meta ability and the starter pack that's unlikely to get you past 10.

It's definitely not something you can do consistently, but:

Dice Box will start you out with 2-3 blue dice
Dice Rooms give ~3+ more, and if you're playing DH you sometimes get double dice room rewards.
Arcades can be bombed to give a bunch, and there's a metaprogression unlock that makes them give twice as many dice when bombed. With the metaprogression thing they often give 5+ blue dice.
Also I think sometimes the knight in the tavern offers blue dice if you have a Rare/Epic/Legendary weapon?

In my current run I'm already at 7 on floor 1 from starting dice box and 2 dice reward rooms:

of course the hard part, even when you do get showered in dice, is not using them on early levels :v:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 25, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

3 room choices has been confirmed to be on the way

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 28, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, I find that going in without a preconceived notion of what you want your build to be is a big ticket toward success. Take all 3 stats, don't chase sets, pick talents that are loadout-agnostic unless you already have the loadout, don't judge weapons based on rarity, use red dice when the offered rewards are consumables you don't need, prioritize TTK over survivability, prefer weapons that need minimal aiming. At this point I generally avoid most chest rewards too - blood chests can still be worth it if the alternative isn't stats or consumables you do need, or special rooms like events or pawn shops or whatever. But most equipment-granting chests will drop things you don't need.

It doesn't feel swingy at all to me, especially in comparison to how it felt early in the 0.2 beta before improved weighting was introduced. It will generally throw things at you that are good for your build unless you have some hyperspecialized build that relies on a specific affliction or whatever - don't do those builds unless you already have the equipment you need for it. But having a wider build that's capable of using more stuff helps a lot.

I feel like chasing survivability is a trap, though it's nice when you pick it up incidentally. Souls spent on the bonfire are souls not spent on the extremely good rewards found in alignment shops. Rooms that grant survivability increases are nice as long as they're not competing with stats, or infusions for your perma-infusion build, or whatever. The starting dice gift is a pretty hefty thing to pass up in favor of the scarf since early red dice will let you roll more stat rooms and gain at least one full level per floor early on, which is an enormous boon.

Though to be fair I say this in the context of having 30 metaprogression points and there's some metaprog stuff that explicitly improves RNG weighting toward the types of talents/weapons you want, and in the context of having the alignment shops unlocked which provides lots of strong power-scaling options that aren't readily available before that point.

e: I think it's best to look at non-weapon/charm equipment in general as "nice to have but not a priority" for most classes. Stats, talents, and an appropriate weapon are all you "need" and I often end runs with equipment slots still empty, or sometimes even totally naked if I take something that reduces equip load capacity. If you see something that helps your build, by all means grab it, but don't rely on or chase after specific pieces of armor and don't worry if you don't have boots or gloves or whatever. Charms are always my choice when available as boss rewards, or pets if I don't have a good one already, because they tend to provide fairly build-agnostic stats. There are some exceptions to this, like quivers being worth chasing if you're using bows/crossbows and don't have a good one.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 28, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think it's a great onboarding/ramp-up thing to help people get accustomed to the game, but once you get a feel for putting builds together it just becomes unnecessary to buy a bunch of hearts because it's almost always possible to put something together that deletes bosses before they get a chance to hit you more than once or twice.

Plus it's cool for something other than overwhelming dps to be viable I suppose.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 28, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Something I just realized: If you have a companion with Companion Weight lower than your maximum companions you can use the item multiple times to summon multiple of the same companion :doh:

This makes every source of +companions insanely good, lmao

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

The bar pattern is generated in front of the wall, so at base difficulty you can just hug the wall right next to him and safely spend the entire phase hammering on him. That does go out the window with all the bullshit cinders throw at you, although at least it's easier to dodge through the prism when you don't also have to dodge the blocks.

This works for lots of boss attacks. Off the top of my head, the dragons' breath attacks can be avoided by standing in the corner behind them and the jouster's attacks can almost all be avoided by hugging the bottom wall.

e: I only play on Cinder 14 (Doomed to Fail and Remote Guardians turned off) but this is the metaprogression setup I use to maximize my control over my build and I couldn't imagine changing a single point:

The ones that guarantee a secret room every floor and make mimics more common would be fantastic if you didn't have to take the one that shortens early floors to get them, but losing out on 6 early-game rooms is way too big of a penalty to pay IMO. I use red dice liberally on early floors to eat up as many foods as I can and having fewer chances to get stats at the start of the game before the difficulty ramps up sucks.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 2, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I noticed that this thread had 311 posts earlier so I started a run as a Troubador and ended up with nothing but a book of songs and a few dozen bombs :ohdear:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game does a great job of making so many playstyles viable, like half the posts I read in here surprise me because the way people value things is so totally different from the way I do. How does the 50% equip weight talent end runs, that's one of the best talents in the game IMO and I take it every time I see it :gonk: You still get more than enough equip weight to wear valuable pieces (gloves mostly) and you get 100% crushing hit!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 6, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

RoboCicero posted:

oh no, that one rules, i'm talking about the ones that are like "you gain no more benefit from X / Y stat, but double from Z stat" where Z is dex or intelligence.

Okay yeah that's fair, I have never taken that one because it sounds like it would suck :hai:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You don't even really need a high-end weapon to breeze through the game, just a couple good talents. Harmony + Transcendance, or 2-3 auras are enough to delete most of the game with any weapon, or 100% crushing blow + the talent that makes you gain 100% more stats granted from mana. That's why I couldn't imagine starting with any gift besides the dice box, being able to set one of those up right away rules.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 7, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game doesn't really aim for equal class balance, but the Mystic skill is actually pretty great - Charms are overall really excellent and getting double benefits from them can be huge.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think for the most part weapon balance is fine - the majority of the weapons in the game can win the game - but Magic weapons in particular have a lot of duds. Going for a magic build is still fine because mana scaling gets ludicrous but it's probably the most dependent on finding a good weapon.

If you want consistency go for ranged weapons, almost every single one of them is good and many are great.

It's also good sometimes to have separate weapons for clearing rooms vs. fighting bosses. Some weapons are great at one but not the other.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 8, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Even many of the single-hit bows are pretty great because they have homing arrows so you don't have to aim, and quivers are extremely good, and overall Ranged attacks have the best talent choices to support them IMO. Especially if you use the meta upgrade that makes your talents more strongly influence future talent choices it's really easy to grab 100% crushing hit chance and +150% crit multiplier at close range and the one that makes ranged attacks always count as close range. And if you're stacking all that dex you'll probably get transcendence + harmony too, so you can just stand in a corner and fire your single-shot bow blindly and wipe out the whole room in a couple seconds.

The crossbows are almost universally better than bows for room clearing though to be fair.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 8, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Isn't Nature already an explicit damage type? There are weapons that deal nature damage and talents that trigger based on dealing nature damage.

There are incredibly few of them though so expanding it to more weapons/talents would be cool.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 10, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think the change is now that it counts as an explicit elemental damage type which matters for a few items and perks.

Playing on the Beta now - it doesn't count as Elemental damage (that would have been cool) but it now has its own affliction called Nettles, which increases the effect of debuffs on the target by 50%

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The new infusions are Poison Damage, Nature Damage, and Mana Drain.

The mana drain one isn't nearly as useful as it sounds, it adds +0.2 mana drain which is cool in theory but any Infusion-based build is going to end up with an absurd amount of attack speed so your mana only lasts for like 1-1.5 seconds of firing, and then stopping firing to let your mana recharge hurts your damage more than just firing another 20 non-mana-enchanted shots in the same timeframe. I guess it would be good if you get lots of bonus mana

The poison/nature ones are cool except it's just added power to what is already one of the strongest builds in the game. IIRC this change came about because of a couple players in Discord complaining that Transcendence "feels bad" to take because there are only 3 infusions and once they get all 3 they "get nothing more" out of the talent but like... it's already absurdly strong with 3, you're already getting a bunch of +flat damage that easily procs Harmony for you!!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 10, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

Transcendence wasn't really that amazing, though. Yeah, if you find a mega machinegun then you can laugh maniacally as you swiss cheese everything but adding ~150 flat damage per shot didn't really do much for most builds. Getting guaranteed shock was a pretty decent perk but if you had another source of lightning damage it wasn't really doing much for you. Even if you pick up Harmony a +50% boost is just kind of above average, not amazing or run-defining and certainly not enough to carry 2 perks. The poison infusion doesn't really do anything that you couldn't do with the starting gift anyhow and the base damage on the nature infusion is way below the curve.

It's not just a flat +150 damage, it's a flat +150 base damage that scales with most sources of increased damage (everything outside of weapon scaling afaik) - things like mana, crit, or increased damage charms increase that 150 damage even further. And it all scales with the number of times you hit in a game where weapons that hit more times are generally better. It turns most weapons into boss-deleters.

Auras are a stronger version of the same thing, but require using 3+ perk slots (3 auras + optional increased aura size) instead of 1 to build around. Auras + Transcendence is just laughable overkill if you can manage it.

e: It could just be a playstyle thing though because I always favor weapons that hit more times per second over weapons that do more damage per hit just so I can pay less attention to where I'm aiming.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 10, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think a lot of my luck with weapons comes from almost always playing classes that start with a bow or crossbow and using the meta talent that makes starting weapon type or class more common. As far as I can tell the same weapon can't drop twice in a run so you eventually dry up the pool of bad bows/crossbows and get one of the good ones.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bard can be an absurdly OP class if you build around the song that increases the effect of emotion buffs by 100%. Rage becomes an 80% attack speed buff for example. But it doesn't do anything great until you get that song.

You can also get a lot of instrument drops by using the meta that gives +25% chance for weapons of your starter weapon's class to drop.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's a hat and a charm that can increase it, but yeah the range of unarmed attacks should just be naturally higher. It's not exactly a powerful build in the first place so there's no reason to lock its viability behind specific pieces of equipment :(

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Beat death with 10 companions is easy to get as the necromancer since you start with a bunch of 1/3 weight companions. Necro companion spam is actually an insanely overpowered build... Until floor 11. Once you get some +companions and summon 6+ skeleton archers they instagib every room and boss as soon as you enter. But then you hit level 6 and their damage stops scaling, and when you get to floor 11 they don't do enough damage to kill anything even if you have 12 of them.

E: yeah I did have auras in the run I did this on

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

D2 Necromancer specifically is casting debuffs/curses on the enemies while your horde of skeletons beats on them. The casting debuffs part is a big part of it because it gives you something active to do, in most games pet classes are "just stand there while your pets attack"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can consistently get 10 pulls before it breaks.

Yeah, I always pull 9 times then bomb and I haven't had one break since I started doing this.