Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What I like:

Lots and lots of fun weapons. New areas are cool. Some of the music slaps.

What I dislike:

It's diluted as hell. It's much, much, much harder to get secondary stats now that they're not tied to your primary stats (which also seem to appear considerably less), and that's an enormous dent in your durability. I'm used to having almost about two to three times more hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Well, certain parts of the game are easier now than ever. It's much easier to do absolutely monstrous damage. It's just durability that's gone away.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I just wish stamina recovery wasn't abysmal now.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Finally beat the stupid Shadow Realms so I can start earning new classes.

Took having the the 100% to trigger damage, triggers off of both my lucky hits and off my critical hits, the item that cycled automatically through the various types of hits, and a weapon that attacked about 5 times a second at range.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm convinced the dice kit is the best starting trinket in this new version. Absolutely crushed floors 11 and 12 on my first visit to floor 12, and I think using a metric ton of rerolls is the only thing that made it so.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
How the hell do you get evade? I have yet to see Evade on any item or skill since the update. Seems like another fake HP would be good, given how unbelievably rare any survival option is now.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

No Wave posted:

I got vial refills by bombing blood chests 3 times in a row so its possible thats just what they give. With double bombed chest pickups perk and a soul scarf thats pretty good value!

I'll have to try specifically bombing these.

Time was, they were great value to unlock the hard way. But now that things have changed, it feels like both their value has gone down and the cost has gotten more terrifying, making them seem useless. (Do they even have max hearts any more?!?!) So I have largely avoided those rooms.

But the other hand, as others have said, I have had whole runs where I van get to floor eleven, and I might see one room, using rerolls, where there is an altar or a flask refill.

Santa can give flask refills in his gifts, but.....

Naw, I have had abysmal luck with that stupid trap scarf.

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Just got the game thanks to this thread and beat Death for the first time with the Warrior when the game gave me the executioner's blade and a conical hat as my first items, it just made sense for me to keep studying the blade. That was pretty satisfying, Executioner's blade doesn't even seem like it's a very good weapon, just a big sword that swings in a wide arc that does bleed damage, but everything in my build ended up revolving around making things bleed so it worked out.

Nope, that's the right idea. Very few weapons are outright bad. The triangle, maybe, if it still exists.....the idea is to pick one thing like you did and go all in on it. The beauty of this game is there's an enormous amount of things to go all in on, and many different ways to do it.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 24, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So, in answer to the question of which class to unlock, the answer is a very King Piccolo voice yelling "All of them!?"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Holy hell. I just had a run where I had a flower pot helmet, the quasar-shooting accessory, the hammer that reduces your periodical cooldowns by .25 seconds, and over 7 attacks per second. This game never ceases to amaze with how many random pieces of stuff you can make absolutely bonkers.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Either:
A)I have solved my earlier durability woes
B)Sorcerer remains really loving good. Unfortunately, I didn't have the necessary law to keep going, but I got my class unlock, so I'm happy.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I can't bring myself to bomb em unless I actually don't have money. Some of their rewards are bananas.

I'm pretty sure number of spins and also payout are both based on luck, but I could be mistaken.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So just going to leave it out there:

The Metal guitar with resolute technique and bone splinters is very, very good. It becomes insane if you have the epic Aztec-looking headdress.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Looking forward to a lot of those changes. Especially to the poor, poor fishing items.

I wouldn't mind a trait that made those permanent, or hell, even a fisherman class that made them permanent.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I keyboard and mouse, and will stay that way.

Aiming, even off screen, is the one thing I have never had a problem with. For everything else, a controller seems like a worse option.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Azran posted:

Are flails garbage or have I just not come across the right combo for them? On another note, it drives me insane whenever I see a weapon that does 8k damage at the high end and 22 at the low end. :argh:

Flails are orbitals, and thus add an extra trigger, sometimes multiple extra triggers, to your on orbital effects.

The knob twiddler might be the best uncommon weapon in the game, but poisoned throwing knives are probably real close.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

WarpedLichen posted:

Class notes.

Couple of points:

Jester is really, really good at clearing rooms. The ability, and in fact, nearly all abilities like it that preload an effect, can be procced in the preceding room. This means you can dash into an exit, and you have a guaranteed giant hit in the first room. If you build toward fewer hits, but one really big hit, you are guaranteed that first one. Just don't miss.

Calling songs garbage is just... I dunno where to start. Songs are extremely flexible. Instruments are almost universally good, so it's not really a drawback to be forced into one.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

No Wave posted:

It's a huge drawback. How often is your best weapon an instrument? 1/20 runs? And the bard passives arent even good but it feels sad to not force your build into using them.

I mean, I pretty much take the first good weapon to the end, and only upgrade if one is stupidly better. Generally, rooms that give weapons are at the bottom of my priority list unless I somehow fall behind the damage curve.

So, to that end, quite frequently. Maybe one in six, if I am not fishing for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Out of curiosity, do you use a controller or keyboard and mouse. I think scrolls are also one of the better weapon classes. I do KBM.

Edit
Ruby is great. He sat down with me for like, 20- 40 minutes after the first big update way back to work out a problem with my custom controls that said update broke.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 11, 2024