Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is there a way to tell when a secret room spawns without the hint?

I agree that the game feels feast or famine because dps range is so wide. The runs I win, the bosses melt so fast I barely learn their patterns.

Some of the new patterns are absolutely mean too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Your Computer posted:

is the metal guitar broken? the chain lightning from it appears to go backwards instead of towards enemies

I've noticed this too, it seems like it does hit when I get close but the screens were so hectic I wasn't sure if it was consistent.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm almost done unlocking all the new characters and might stop after giving each of them a whirl, but I have a few pet peeves with the latest version:

1. too much visual clutter in the late game, I absolutely cannot see enemy projectiles if I using rapid fire explosive weapon or the elemental staffs- they absolutely need to be at least color coded by friendly/enemy or something

2. same issue with trash traits and trash weapons - purples feel almost mandatory besides the few busted yellows. Some weapons just feel really under tuned - I got the legendary quad element sword and it has never felt good, same with the flails. Short range weapons are almost never viable because it feels like boss patterns especially are stay the gently caress away now. Also why the hell is the fire fang like 2x as good as the ice fang?

3. outside of boss rooms and armories, items feel way too random - getting a gray/blue out of a weapon chest in floor 10 just feels bad

I really want this game to have the Hades system - rooms are grouped into pools of rewards for reroll purposes, more guaranteed shops, and probably a drastic lowering of top end damage. Also of course fix some of the busted interactions like soul scarf.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

How do the elemental effects like Scorch work? It feels like those effects are punching way above what they're supposed to now. It's almost like a giant multiplier on all the damage you deal.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Your Computer posted:

is there a way to get lawful points other than buying from the law shop?

i'm trying to get to whatever boss is behind that since it's my next objective but having to spend all of my souls on (often completely useless) trinkets and being unable to ever upgrade my hearts, stamina or stars sucks :negative:

Yeah, dice guy once per run is the only thing I can think of. Just buy the cheapest things you can and think of it as tax.

30 souls per upgrade is really steep for an upgrade that usually doesn't make too much of a difference, I'm a man with no shame so I just pay 10 souls for 2 soul hearts instead.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

No Wave posted:

They need to stop showing winstreak so prominently. Its making me not want to play the highest cinders. Or just track winstreaks on each cinder separately.

Are win streaks still only to Death on Floor 10? The highest cinders where there's automatons and enchantment effects everywhere is honestly too much of a visual mess for me.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Okay yeah that's fair, I have never taken that one because it sounds like it would suck :hai:

Those are maybe ok if you get the right stat and can plan towards it but Natural Burden (You gain no more stats from strength, dexterity or intelligence but the penalties from exceeding your equip load capacity are reversed.) - seems like it actually just is absolute rear end.

Same with Resolute Technique where it might ok early on but quickly becomes a liability.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the upgrades. Is it worth clearing them and rebuilding from the ground up depending on what class you're doing a run for, or are there any upgrades that are always worth keeping?

Assuming you mean the bonfire meta progression path, I think there are some classes that might want some specific upgrades but for the most part you can keep them the same.

Minor examples I can think of are Barb wants the +30% chance of item for higher stat more because strength does everything, various classes with good starting weapons might want the +% chance of same class weapon (but people with fists don't), etc.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

mostly i leave my mastery tree the same between runs, though i flex between the one that's 4 items in the boss room for no-hitting the floor and the one that halves the chance of curses eating a talent choice

otherwise my tree is basically to control or reduce the effect of bad RNG. so all the top-left stuff, the one that gives extra red dice with every dice pickup, all blacksmiths can go to 4, magic find on no-hitting bosses, guaranteeing taverns, and guaranteeing at least one secret per floor

i also really like the one that turns the "at least 1 reward is rare/epic/etc" boss room option into "all rewards are at least rare/epic/etc" but i hate the node that gives you more or tougher enchanted packs so i don't have it rn

If you play with the more enchanted packs cinder I feel like the weaker/but more enchanted node is pretty free. You're already pretty much fighting all enchanted either way but they die faster.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Good to know. I'll keep stuff I like around, then.

Also, am I missing something with Mystic? They're undertuned as gently caress. Their special skill really isn't that impressive and doesn't scale well at all.

Starting with the magic find charm already feels pretty strong. I think there are some weird charms that don't get doubled but a lot of the 2x charms seem really good?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Cast on crit is pretty sweet, and it feels pretty good as a payout when everything falls your way. It kinda sucks that sometimes it just falls apart though (only good purple is magic or bad triggers suck).

I'm trying to go for a Cinder 16 win and it feels like most runs fall apart really quick - anybody got some class recommendations?

It feels like any character without a good weapon on floor 1 is a giant pain in the rear end to play - maybe just grind alchemist?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Cider 16 down - used Alch and lucked out on my early legendary with the Seraphim bow.

Bosses were an absolute nightmare, I think I only no hit 2 bosses out of 12.

In particular want to say a gently caress you to the Battery + Glaive Enchanted Walrus.

Also gun parts are ridiculously expensive, so I'm not sure if I'll ever get the +7 gun achievement if +upgrade items don't count.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 9, 2024

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, it seems bizarre to me cause how often do you even get to heal with a flask? It seems like a lot of characters don't even have health to take hits with in the first place.

Also bizarre on mana because it takes so much work to keep up a measly +20% damage now when you're getting +40% for free from stuff like the Alignment charms.

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 10, 2024

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

the holy poopacy posted:

The game will go out of its way to try to complete item sets for you, which does seem to override its preference for not repeating items. One time the game gave me no fewer than 4 detective coats because the hat was the only item I'd found for that slot and I kept selling the coats.

I don't think that's true, at least given the trouble I have completing the Doom guy set (but only when I have the all ranged weapons count as close range trait). It seems like Set items have a hidden rarity that affects when they show up?

Anyway, I finally beat the game with all characters and this is my rough impression with all of them based on their passive and their starting equipment:

S
Alchemist - solid starting kit and can almost guarantee a legendary weapon fairly early on (just need keys). Since weapons are about all you need, this class is almost RNG proof. Even if you get a bad weapon, you can reroll it next floor. Then you get free potions every so often just as a cherry on top.

Pirate - the passive is a bunch of good buffs that ramp up with levels, beating bosses, and floors. But the kicker is starting with the Parrot which is companion with +20% magic find that you can use all game. Just really solid.

A
Demon Slayer - good starting equipment which is very hard to swap out, you'll probably replace both. Your accessory gives +25% damage to fiends but you need to keep your hood on to make everything a fiend. The tainted rewards are pretty good, but the fiendish enemies can actually be really hard early on.

Hero - slow start, but +4 luck if you can get good shops is insane. You can tell I really value luck.

Mystic - passive is a bit jank and doesn't work on things it should work on, but like pirate you start with +20% magic find from the charm + passive.

Barbarian - dual axes are an ok weapon and scaling hard with strength is fun. Can really high roll if you get the 2x strength trait.

Necromancer - insane damage scaling from souls and a starting with companions is really fun.

Super Hero - even slower start than hero because you only have fists but the super trait can be really strong. If you are playing 16 cinder and you can't see your first trait, this guy plummets. Strong candidate for +5 exp mastery.

Esper - slow start, but psionic traits are really good, especially the luck one, did I mention I love luck? The gun companions are also really good. You start with damage buffs to companion equipment so you're hoping your bear can crush things early (and he can). Another strong candidate for the +5 starting exp mastery.

Cyborg - another weak start, you get lasers with your fists but they're still kinda bad. Cyborg traits also aren't as universally good as psionic traits imo. But some of them are real bangers.

B

Paladin - really strong defensive start with full paladin set, but the passive tapers off later - will usually be +120 - 160 radiant damage which is just ok. Can't complain but weaker scaling than classes in A rank.

Thief - my personal favorite class, you start with thief set so you never need keys (as long as you don't change equipment). Passive ain't bad either. Might be stronger than Paladin honestly.

Samurai - good starting weapon and passive is really fun. Barely does anything in rooms but is better the harder the game is - it pops for a good amount of damage and when you can't hit enemies consistently it will save your bacon.

Druid - druid summons are quite good - just getting all 3 is +4% damage from wolves, +25 carrying capacity, and +10% move speed. Starting weapon is also pretty fun

Wizard - you get a ton of mana stars from passive and starting equipment. This might actually have a higher top end but is a bit limiting build wise. Strong candidate for mastery to force magic weapons.

Gunslinger - passive is kind of hard to build around but strong. If you get the +dex to lucky hit trait you really go off to the races though. Starting weapon is also pretty good.

Soldier- intimidate is strong but even harder to build around - two handed melee weapons only. Intimidate is strong enough to make it worth it, but you really need the mastery to force them to appear to be consistent with this guy.

C

Ranger - solid starting equipment but defensive passive is kinda meh. But bows are a consistent weapon class to build towards so he's still pretty solid.

Sorcerer - another defensive passive that can potentially become really strong offensively, but I wouldn't count on it. Just your basic magic class

Warrior - actually probably the best passive for the starting classes, but melee weapons are the weakest of the three

Ninja - cool, but shadows didn't seem to deal all that much damage, don't last all that long, and I dislike using my stamina offensively. At least ninja star is a good floor 1 weapon

Jester - see Ninja, but worse

Dragoon - passive is really feast or famine, but starting equipment is quite good. This guy might be better than the starting classes, but I didn't hit when I played him, so he's down here.

Bandit - a small trickle of gold is very meh. The current mastery makes it easy to get big money with the +gold on sale/+shops are more expensive and +stacking gold per sale masteries so the gold he earns is even less relevant. Floor 11 and 12 don't have any ways to spend money, so it kinda sucks unless you get some money scaling from items. Consider running the items cost less and sell for less mastery on this guy to maximize his usefulness, but the best uses of money (tavern, slot machines, blacksmith) don't get discounted so its often better to get your money from selling items anyway. Starting crossbow is ok.

Chaos - you can rng into the better classes?

Wanderer - events as a whole aren't that good so guaranteed event isn't a standout. Boomerang is also a bad weapon.

Pyromancer - passive is barely anything and limited to magic weapons, starting equipment is also worse than sorceror

Cleric - starting equipment is awkward and if you need the passive, it's not saving you anyway most likely

Knight - another worthless passive and strength focused.

D

Dancer - lucky hits don't do much by themselves and effectively does almost nothing unless you get lucky. Rhythm set is ok, but chakrams are garbage.

Monk - another class that I didn't hit with, just didn't get any of the body traits and effectively did nothing.

Doppleganger - you can play another class with 1 max health? I wish the enhanced passive part stayed but I guess it was too hard to work out for every class.

Bard - songs are garbage. Starting weapon is garbage. Starting equipment is discount on shops and gold per tavern, which is also garbage.

Deprived - supposed to be hard? Curses are really really bad and the improved room results don't make up for it. There are items to support a cursed build, but even with the Devil Set this guy didn't feel very good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 11, 2024

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Your Computer posted:

are they though? i don't think i've ever had a good run with an instrument, even the legendary ones. the slow projectile speed is such a killer when i could've instead been pelting the enemies with arrows or bombard them with spells

it bums me out tbh because i really want to like the instrument weapon type

This is what I think too, notes are slow and track lazily, which makes good weapons on paper into bad ones. They also all cap out at far range which is fairly annoying on the late game bosses.

The purples - the guitar, the keyboard, and the lucky sax have all been meh, though I've never gotten an orange instrument. I've basically never used an instrument on any other class than the bard unless it was my first blue/yellow on floor 2.

But the list is entirely subjective and I've only played bard 2 times, so I'm definitely not an expert or anything.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

Out of curiosity, do you use a controller or keyboard and mouse. I think scrolls are also one of the better weapon classes. I do KBM.

I play controller with max auto aim and the latest update made tracking really good for the sword cyclones and scrolls which were almost unusable before. Scrolls are now my favorite weapon class.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Keep in mind class variety is more about play variety than balanced power levels. If you just want to win play Demon Hunter, Barbarian, or Super Hero.

That reminds me, on the class rankings that were posted last night, I was shocked to see Pyromancer at the very bottom. They have an incredibly strong start (which matters less with Ebb & Flow I guess) and scale decently well. Sorcerer has better scaling but a much weaker start.

Yeah for sure, the class power levels are completely meaningless and just for fun. I think most the classes are fun to play and even the classes I consider bad have unique high roll builds to try out. Just not sure if I'll ever get the all body damage trait monk run some day.

I thought the pyro starting weapon was harder to use in practice with than the sorc wand and the +fire damage equipment usually becomes irrelevant after the first weapon upgrade but your mileage may vary.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Did a run on the new patch with Jester and it seemed like I was doing a lot less damage than before for whatever reason.

Was sweating even though I finally got all the Close Range stuff to line up.

Swagger + Pneumatic Crossbow + Close Range Crushing Hit + Doom Guy Set + War Set and I was still not melting the end bosses. Think that's probably a good level of difficulty but I am curious as to how a "bad" setup would feel if my "good" setup felt relatively anemic.

Edit: Also, there are so goddamn many blood doors

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Schurik posted:

Honestly, I'm glad there's a reason to use the stacks of bombs that I refuse to use in combat out of principle.

The new blood doors seem immune to bombs?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Schurik posted:

I think we're all talking about two different things here, one us a type of room reward, and the other is a cinder debuff that makes random doors hurt, but you can disable them with a bomb. Maybe I got mixed up when I originally responded.

The patch notes vindicate me:

quote:

Unjust Incentive: Spiky doors have been turned into Muncher Doors. Muncher doors require feeding a red heart. Cannot be bombed anymore. Appear about 25% less often though.

That 25% less often feels didn't feel like it, but maybe I'm just unlucky.

Also all the late game enemies get a hp buff, which explains why I felt weaker.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I think the meta perk shuffling has big implications. The extra rewards from bomb one is now deep but ebb and flow no longer blocks the guaranteed secret room. The item selling perks are way worse now that bulk seller got nerfed. The weapon portion still seems bugged but might be strong now?

Edit: Also 16 cinder seems even harder now - though thankfully boss automatons don't respawn

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 20, 2024

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Thief is so good though? I don't think there's any special trick that applies to him that doesn't apply to other classes. Just get a decent weapon with at least far range and it should be a free win?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

In terms of good paths:

The free revival one is basically a must get.
The path that gets you "blacksmith can always upgrade to level 4" is generally
Secret Rooms Don't Contain Locked Items is just nice.
Always A Secret Room is also great.
Double rewards from bombing is amazing
Some people swear by the -1 alignment reward but I don't particularly care for it.

Traits are a lot harder because it depends heavily on your character and build.
Swagger, for example, makes anything with on dash effects way better and is good for things that proc off crits, but if neither of those apply then it's kind of eh.

Think the masteries are highly dependent on how many cinders you go for. The hitless boss reward ones are amazing on low cinder but can be useless on high cinder (depending on how skilled you are). Likewise, revive is amazing on high cinder but overkill on low cinder. Agree that I almost always take level 4 blacksmith along with cheaper upgrades though.

Traits are a giant mixed bag overall but I think earlier in the thread a goon posted the list of almost always good ones like Transcendence, Mage Blood, Auras, Best Friends Forever etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

As an aside it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that the locked basement doors were not the secret rooms.

I had to use the highlight secret rooms mastery before I even realized there are bombable tiles.