Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It was a bit awkward adjusting to the new mechanics at first (the game is a lot more stingy with epic and legendary weapons now and you have to actually avoid bullets now on mid-level floors which is fine) and felt some information overload, but I feel like I'm getting used to the new feel now. I managed to beat the shadow guardian boss on my second run, but now I have to deal with the karma mechanic to get any further.

How do you boost law to get through the first gate? It says you need an overall +4 law score to advance, but then how do you get sin or negative karma for the hell level? Also how do you get the keys to unlock the grate after Death but before the shadow realm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

the holy poopacy posted:

Now that you beat the guardian, several of the regular boss rooms will have exits to a law-aligned shop where you spend souls for a selection of items and each purchase boosts your Law alignment. So it's a little power boost too since you get extra opportunities to convert souls into stuff.

After you get through the law gate and beat the boss there, heaven and hell gates open up as alternate level 11s with the same deal: beat the guardian to open good and evil shops, go through aligned gates and fight alternate level 12 bosses.

Okay, I think I got it.

If you plan on going to level 12 hell, get evil points. If you plan on going to level 12 heaven, get good points. Get the points from the respective good and evil shops. But does law/chaos alignment do anything? Also, do you need to be pure good/evil to get to level 12? In other words, will going to a law/chaos shop and buying things gently caress up your run?

Also still don't know how to get the keys to open that sewer grate after Death. Is Mega Death scrubbed the game too, btw? My world meta progress bar is a bit screwed up since I'm continuing on an old save but it's still counting toward unlocks anyways.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
LOL at getting this Epic weapon from the first floor black market. It definitely made my run busted from that point on.

From then on I kept getting strokes of look with this and other equipment so I ended up trashing the rest of the run pretty easily. Also yeah, the Soul Scarf is super OP, just in a different way compared to before this update.

Why put an ichor bowl here? :nallears: I think this is just trolling from the dev for people not paying attention and thinking this is the end before heading up the divine throne.

Also, I guess you collect from each of the alternate Level 12s then open the grate. But I'm assuming there's nothing past the grate yet until the "Into the Abyss" expansion releases several months from now.

I still don't understand what law/chaos alignment does, though.

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, the game is definitely harder now, and not in a 'oh there are more stuff so it's all more diluted now' way (although that is true too). I actually mean, for example, they are attack patterns in floor 5 already that are way more tricky than they were in a previous version, before you had to wait until Floor 8 for the tricky ones. And the classes themselves were more powerful before, with some traits had made them gain a ridiculous amount of armor, soul hearts or stamina, now their traits are less 'meaty'.

Imo, a bad choice, people with skills can play with higher cinder, people without those skills can't beat the game anymore, as there is no way to make the game easier.

I can definitely tell which enemies got buffed, like those gargoyle/golem enemies that charge and smash with a huge AoE. As for the latter comment, I dunno. I don't consider myself particularly skilled but I like having more challenge before facing Death. On the other hand, it can be frustrating when the game refuses to drop an Epic weapon or armor by around level 7 or 8 and your run just feels screwed.

I like how there's more to unlock with the bonfire and a bunch more classes plus being able to use right click to insta-swap weapons now. If you combine the right perks and weapons/equipment, the synergies can get crazy busted.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 23, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
As far as I can tell, need 4 or more evil for level 12 Hell, 4+ law for level 12 Shadow Realm, 4+ Good for level 12 Heaven. Chaos does... Nothing, I guess?

Overall, new update is good. It's already 3 am here, I've just been playing this game non-stop lol.

Also, from what I can tell the whole gem soul guardian side quest from OG Tiny Rogues got scrapped, with Mega Death being renamed Primal Death and moved to Shadow Realm level 12 with some nice aesthetic upgrades, plus gem soul guardian also being moved to level 12 as a regular enemy.

I do have to say, though, the nightwalker-esque enemy on level 12 Shadow Realm with the countdown to death mechanic scared the poo poo out of me when I first saw it.

I have to say that making dedicated slots for charms was a great move since it was annoying having them clog up limited inventory space before. Also having a weight limit on equipment and set hunting adds some interesting decision-making to the game.

I think although the game was solid before it was a bit shallow which limited replayability. Although the system is a bit more complex and takes more time to get a handle on now, it adds more depth to the gameplay which I think is a good thing overall.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 23, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I dunno about taking dice as bonfire boon, I still think Soul Scarf is OP especially with the double flask upgrade. It's handy to have a bunch of soul hearts by the time you get to floors 11 and 12 just in case. The major downside is that it eats up the accessory slot and can be awkward switching back and forth with a good replacement since SS has 3 attunement.

Unrelated, but I've been grinding away for the past few hours as Thief trying to ascend and get Ninja but failing at the last moment, starting to get that Tetris effect from the bullets.

E: Rubber boots description says "get haste buff when you make it rain". How do you make it rain? :confused: It'd be hilarious if this can be taken metaphorically as well as literally and applies on money gun/flying pig etc.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 24, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SKULL.GIF posted:

:cawg: Try it and see.

Okay, well played game. Got a laugh out of me, but makes sense since at that point you're basically immortal now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Are there any recommended classes to go unlock? I know some people are recommending Demon Hunter, but I'm kind of more interested in the new oddball/goofy classes like Super Hero, who by the way is just the Hero dressed up in a Saitama costume and mask :allears:.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Broken Cog posted:

Those refills take up spots that could be used for more stats and damage, I'd rather kill stuff before I get hit.

If it's a choice between potion/flask or gold/flask (especially the full flask rooms), it's a pretty easy trade. Plus, having a cushion of soul hearts to fall back on helps me to play more confidently, as opposed to being on 2 red hearts constantly which makes me feel like I'm always playing on the edge. Not only that, but the "Power Hungry" trait means having up to 10 soul hearts that directly translate to 100 power which means more damage too.

Not saying your playstyle is wrong, but I enjoy going the Soul Scarf route almost every time.

E: Also as another poster said above, the game seems biased toward giving flasks when yours are empty. So use them up each time you see them to pump out soul hearts.

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Just got the game thanks to this thread and beat Death for the first time with the Warrior when the game gave me the executioner's blade and a conical hat as my first items, it just made sense for me to keep studying the blade. That was pretty satisfying, Executioner's blade doesn't even seem like it's a very good weapon, just a big sword that swings in a wide arc that does bleed damage, but everything in my build ended up revolving around making things bleed so it worked out.

That is something else I'm really starting to appreciate about this build of the game, I.e. You can build your character up toward specific synergies and archetypes.

Playing as the Gunner who starts with lucky hit = repeat shot? Find traits and items that plah into that with trigger on Lucky hit and repeat shot does X or Y. It makes the game a lot more addicting and interesting to see what pops out a la Binding of Isaac on a meta level.

the holy poopacy posted:

Cyborg's unique talents feel pretty meh to me although if you stick with unarmed he does have ROCKET PUNCH

Esper's uniques are mostly about non-attacking sources of damage, which isn't particularly my cup of tea but is good for a gimmick run when you get bored of the usual.

Superhero is my favorite unique talent tree, you only get one unique pick but they're all super high impact and allow for some ridiculous gimmicks.

You can get max hearts from blood chests, although they mostly give out charms and stat growth pills. Blood chest mimics are slam picks though, they are one of the tougher mimic fights but still way easier than bosses for a very good shot at an extra heart.

Blood altars can also be bombed for flask refills and the normal rewards generally seem less worthwhile (although at least you can see them in advance I guess?)

:stare: Holy poo poo, I did not realize this at all since I always try to avoid blood chest rooms.

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's worth noting that if you stock up a lot of blue dice and use them all at the same levelup the talents all only appear once each and eventually you'll start being offered the superhero and esper talents on any class. I think this takes around 14 blue dice to start happening though (so you need even more to fish for a specific one). You don't have to expend every non-superhero/esper talent in the pool, they just start popping up after a while. It's not very feasible to aim for but if you have the excess dice and your build defining talents you may as well because those superhero talents can give 5 hearts/armor or 30 to a stat.

You can also sometimes get superhero talents at level 6 on any class even without reroll spamming unless that changed since the beta

This too, although I have been using the 4-5 red dice "exploit" for legendaries already.

This game, man.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 25, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Either:
A)I have solved my earlier durability woes
B)Sorcerer remains really loving good. Unfortunately, I didn't have the necessary law to keep going, but I got my class unlock, so I'm happy.

Sorcerer now comes with an extra soul heart each floor which is really nice. Having some shields to protect the soul hearts is a pro move, especially if you take Power Hungry trait.

The Power Hungry trait is really good, is what I'm saying.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
LOL I just completed a Hell run where I just barely managed to pass the gate check for +4 evil by wearing the devil horns since the evil shop just kept refusing to show up. I like to imagine the gatekeepers checking for suitably evil individuals and some guy just slaps on devil horns (squints) "seems legit, go on through".

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Turin Turambar posted:

I lost yesterday a Sorcerer run with Power Hungry and tons of soul hearts in the mid game. I'm still depressed about it. I really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, I was totally deleting floors super easily, but on the last floors I didn't get good traits and I started to feel my power wasn't climbing up as it should anymore, then on the last four or five rooms I was hit several times, and finally Death killed me on the second form at 15% hp. :/

I forget which class I was playing as, but I kept getting frustrated at not getting the rooms or items I needed constantly, up until like floor 9 or 10. I was so upset I threw away a trait using a trait tome in desperation to get something to click, then the next room over I got a legendary from a chest and suddenly everything clicked into place.

What I'm trying to say is that don't give up - something will eventually pan out, even if it's by floor 10.

Side note, I keep reading the Cap'n'bells hat as Cap'n'balls. I dunno if that's intentional or not.

e: Any idea how many tries at the slot machine it takes before it breaks? I feel like I get a ton of great loot out of it each time, so I don't want to bomb it too early.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Jesus Christ, a combination of Ocarina of Time (Legendary ocarina that doubles rate of periodical effects) + Inferno Treads (Legendary boots that periodically triggers raining fire per movement) + Wyvern Set (+20% damage against everybody) + Combustion perk (trigger fiery burst every 4 burn tick tally) + Dynamo (periodically increment all active counters by 1 and periodical effects by 0.25 seconds per 1 unit moved) will absolutely wreck anything in your path. Like, literally just hold M1 and move and the enemies erase themselves from existence for you. My screen kept shaking from the insane amount of raining fire + fire burst triggers. Crazy.

Also, looking at the Monk, it looks like he specializes in body damage. Are there any weapons besides bare fists that do body damage? Otherwise that seems like a pretty hard class to use.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 26, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://youtu.be/2lj5VfuCMUI?si=hwPszWy5C39JXGa0

If you haven't listened to the new OST, then I recommend giving it a listen. There are some floor and boss themes with really jamming parts I was surprised to hear for the first time since I always rushed through them too quickly before.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I think I've unlocked all of the new characters now. I'm really enjoying the game and the new mechanics have made it a lot more addicting, I just wish there was more content to mess around with. Granted, Binding of Isaac took years to fill out its content, so I'm sure Tiny Rogues will be even more amazing by the time it leaves Early Access.

E: that reminds me, how do you change the campfire from orange to blue? Mine is still orange. Is it because I'm using an old save file from before the update? Or is it because I'm not running cinder?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Infinity Gaia posted:

It turns blue once you hit meta level 30, cap out, and start getting paragon levels (that seem to do absolutely nothing). Or it should, at least. If you're past that and it's still red then I dunno.

I don't think I'm at 30 yet, but close to it. Does that mean you can't fill out the whole mastery upgrade map then? That's disappointing if so.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Reoxygenation posted:

I got used to the game difficulty post 0.2.0 and pre 0.2.1, but the new stuff is nice and welcome. Game is in a good spot, even if it lacks the depth in terms of pathing of other games (mostly thinking Isaac), but it's now mechanically very sound with a lot of different options - kind of excited to see where he'll take the game next. Definitely feel like a steal since I got it before the price hike (like waaaaaay before) but drat is it currently just a good and fun game to pop a run in and forget about everything else.

:same:

I've been begging the guy behind the Tiny Rogues soundtrack on YouTube to release it on Steam as DLC so I can throw more money at him and he hearted my comment, so here's hoping! :homebrew:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It just occurred to me that the locked Abyss portion will likely be the Chaos alignment route whenever it releases. It also makes sense that Hell/Heaven doors are positioned left to right while Shadow Realm/Abyss are positioned up and down.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Kuros posted:

There's a bonfire perk that guarantees Taverns on Floors 3/6/9. Great way to help out getting the last points of Good/Evil/Law/Chaos.

I think those tavern/black market interactions give +1 alignment per run, not per interaction.

Also keep in mind that the soul merchant on the respective floor 11 also gives +1 alignment per purchase like the alignment shop keeper at the end of a floor from before, depending on which path you are on (ie Shadow Realm for +1 law etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

WarpedLichen posted:

Those are maybe ok if you get the right stat and can plan towards it but Natural Burden (You gain no more stats from strength, dexterity or intelligence but the penalties from exceeding your equip load capacity are reversed.) - seems like it actually just is absolute rear end.

Same with Resolute Technique where it might ok early on but quickly becomes a liability.

I dunno, I had a run where I stumbled into that trait and ended up having super boosted stats after having a ridiculous load capacity ratio like 190 or 290/50.