Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Your Computer posted:

so many systems have changed since i played this last time......... how does intelligence, mana drain and mana crystals work now?

it works fine for projectile weapons but especially the melee weapons that go in an elliptical path just feel impossible to use...

I've been playing with 0 auto aim on a controller, so far the hardest weapons to use are the ones that put a crosshair on the screen, but I've been getting used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is probably an obvious thing, but does the game get harder when you go up world tiers? After unlocking the world tier where you have to focus on alignment, the latter half of the game feels a lot harder than the game was on the previous world tiers.

It gets easier as more things unlock and you get bonuses from the bonfire. Then it gets harder as you add on Cinder levels. I completed a Cinder 9 run yesterday and there are some Cinder pacts that really ramp up the difficulty.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

Well that's what I meant, yeah those can tip the balance, but they are far and few in between.

There's a bonfire perk that guarantees Taverns on Floors 3/6/9. Great way to help out getting the last points of Good/Evil/Law/Chaos.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Slotducks posted:

tile looks like this:

Just deliberately look at each floor tile and look for an X. After a while they'll stick out like sore thumbs.

Oh, good to know. Thanks.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I think those tavern/black market interactions give +1 alignment per run, not per interaction.

Also keep in mind that the soul merchant on the respective floor 11 also gives +1 alignment per purchase like the alignment shop keeper at the end of a floor from before, depending on which path you are on (ie Shadow Realm for +1 law etc).

True, it's per run, but hey since you only need +4 or -4 it's still useful.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Captain Flame Guy posted:

What if they added colour-coded outlines for projectiles, where your own projectiles have a different colour compared to enemy ones?
Honestly when it comes to the colours used the only ones that feel consistent are the ones used for poison and curse.

Custom color coding would be great, allow it for the rarities as well because I have a hard time telling the difference between rare and legendary until I walk up to the item on the pedestal.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

So far my favorite traits have been:

Dex:
Alacrity
Best Friends Forever
Earned Luck
Harmony (if paired with Transcendence)
Transcendence

Int:
Dreamer
Elemental Focus
Insight
Mageblood

Str:
Ancestral Aid
Barbarism
Boozer
Brawler (best paired with pets)
Heavy Draw
Rage

I find that these tend to be universal across most runs.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I've been actively avoiding the Soul Scarf as it makes the game too easy imo.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think a lot of my luck with weapons comes from almost always playing classes that start with a bow or crossbow and using the meta talent that makes starting weapon type or class more common. As far as I can tell the same weapon can't drop twice in a run so you eventually dry up the pool of bad bows/crossbows and get one of the good ones.

Hm, I'm curious about that because I have seen the same armor multiple times. Started with the Thief Hood, sold it, saw it again in a shop.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

The game will go out of its way to try to complete item sets for you, which does seem to override its preference for not repeating items. One time the game gave me no fewer than 4 detective coats because the hat was the only item I'd found for that slot and I kept selling the coats.

I also saw the Sea Urchin twice in the same black market today. Two vendors were selling it at the same time.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Bald Stalin posted:

no wonder I've never found a secret room

X marks the spot, literally.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

First Cinder 16 win as Chaos! :toot:

https://streamable.com/0qwosr - Final build.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Also, regarding companions, from what I see you only get the companion benefit once even if you can summon more than one of a companion due to weight.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Auras turbocharge companions, but auras are also pretty powerful just all on their own anyway so oh well.

You definitely get a boost per each companion out. Fetish Dolls are +5% per fetish, for a +20% total when you have four out.

I'd have to double check, I've seen with the Piggy Bank that I didn't get the double boost when I had the charm that allows for +1 companion and I had two out.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Here's what I'm running for Masteries on C16, starting on the North section:

Hope: Required to get to other masteries
Bargain Hunter: I'd rather have reduced prices so I can buy more over a 35% chance of an extra item.
Supply and Demand: Souls are more rare than gold, therefore cheaper soul prices are better. Plus it makes getting to +/-4 easier.
Pay to Win: Required
Loss Leader: Gold is more abundant than souls as mentioned.
Loyalty: Some weapons require level 4 to upgrade and also the extra damage is great. Repair powder isn't that rare to get and you can remove negative enchantments from other sources.
First Aid: Good and required.
Quick Recovery: Not needed in lower cinders, highly recommended in high cinders as 2 seconds of drink time will kill you.
Shortcut: The ability to get a level quickly allows you to get through the early game quicker on high cinder. Not as important on low cinder.
Freedom: Easier dodging and required.
Smash and Grab: Very nice xp from shrines and dice from slots.
Trust Issues: Double trouble is a bit better, but can be super deadly if you get the wrong combo of mimics. The "free" rewards are nice.
Secret Service: A good early secret can carry the early floors if it's a solid rare/epic weapon.

West:

Lucky Start: Required
Lazy Stroll: Required
Friendship Quest: Typically the weapons given by Take This aren't that great and charms aren't that game changing early on to matter. A decent companion early on helps with DPS.
Glass is Half Full: I'd rather have less enemies than more because that means less stuff to dodge.
Vanity: Guaranteeing Epic/Legendary on everything is really really good later in the game.
Call to Adventure: Good and required.
Catharsis: Good and required
Farewell Drink: Taverns are one of the best rooms in the game due to potential black markets and rerolling the tavern.
Thief in the Shadows: 25% magic find is pretty nice, good if you can consistently beat bosses without getting hit.

South:

Backup Armory: Required
Perseverance: Negative enchantments can wreck a weapon, rather not have that happen.
Drinking on the Dot: Same as Farewell Drink since if you roll a black market, it's a pawn shop as well.
Smuggler's Nook: Extra black markets are great.

East:

In The Eleventh Hour: Really good and required.
Rebirth: Highly suggested on C16 runs
Roulette: Take your pick really, I like an extra gold dice since those are rare.
Ready to Go: Enchantments are more expensive than weapon upgrades with Loss Leader enabled. Worth more gold overall.

Some thoughts on other masteries:

Masteries that are pretty useless IMO: Throne Quest, High Stakes/Slow and Steady, Well Rounded Beast, Treasure Hunter (once you learn what to look for), Prodigy.

If I had 5 more points, which masteries would I build to? Opening Move, Personal Agency, Adaptability, Pandora's Boxes and Odyssey.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I've been doing max cinder random select.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

16 cinder, Chaos only, Final Destination.

Already been running that, it's fun.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I'm cycling between:

C16 Chaos runs of Tiny Rogues, Balatro and FF5 Pixel myself.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Got a current win streak of 5 on C16 Chaos runs.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Promising updates.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/tiny_rogues/status/1770566911421555063

https://twitter.com/tiny_rogues/status/1770867397076857298

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Really interesting. I hated using a lot of the spellbook, but I dunno if I like the idea of not handling the firing at all.

This is a massive upgrade for controller players like myself.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

0.2.4 patch released and patch notes up:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/2088570/announcements/detail/4201368959541813425

Kuros fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

How the gently caress is this a minor patch lol.

Right? RubyDev has been putting in a ton of work into rebalance, additions and QoL and more and it shows.