Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

KittyEmpress posted:

This game is fun but I'm getting really annoyed at just the... utter lack of healing. I'll get multiple flask filling, taverns, even health fountain options when sitting at full HP... but when I'm at one heart and out of flasks I'll go through 3 floors without a single one.

There's a meta upgrade that makes healing events more common when you're at 1 heart, if that helps.

Also, Cinder 12 is when it starts to get really rough. Bosses having enchants is rooooough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I feel like that's probably the point. I honestly thought the pre-update version was kinda way too easy so I'm appreciating the extra challenge in this version, even if I've yet to manage a win at even Cinder 12, let alone 16...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yay, managed a win at Cinder 12. But drat the added modifiers from Cinder 16 seem insanity inducing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Soul Scarf is alright but you start with no potions at Cinder 16 and you really want to get as strong as possible as fast as possible and the dice REALLY help you get that basic level of power going ASAP. Not that I've beaten Cinder 16 yet or anything...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It turns blue once you hit meta level 30, cap out, and start getting paragon levels (that seem to do absolutely nothing). Or it should, at least. If you're past that and it's still red then I dunno.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I don't think I'm at 30 yet, but close to it. Does that mean you can't fill out the whole mastery upgrade map then? That's disappointing if so.

You can't, no, it forces you to actually make some decisions on it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RoboCicero posted:

I have two 16 cinder clears and still trying to futz around with good metaprog picks. It feels like grabbing parts of the left tree becomes so much more important because the first few levels are Packed With Guys. Probably of the split choices I'd say "The Glass Is Half Full" for 50% less enchanted enemies with more armor (both seem to be multiplicative with the cinder effect so the other upgrade, Glass Is Half Empty, feels like you get double-enchanted packs extremely often). I'd also take Take This for a guaranteed weapon on the first floor to try and get you a decent weapon so you can actually finish fights without being overwhelmed. Other than that, in the north area I find myself using Shortcut (+5 initial XP, +1 requirement to level up) to be helpful since you can immediately knock off the Doomed To Fail trait before you invest too much into the wrong direction, and Stamina for reduced dash cooldowns. Smash and Grab, like someone said, is great because you're going to almost always have excess bombs (I didn't know bombing shrines gave you XP!)

all this will not save you from just eating it if your class has a sufficiently bad start and you hit the stupid rock golem with my least favorite pattern (yes, including all the postgame ones)

The rock golem is really far too hard for a floor 2 boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

deep dish peat moss posted:

This works for lots of boss attacks. Off the top of my head, the dragons' breath attacks can be avoided by standing in the corner behind them and the jouster's attacks can almost all be avoided by hugging the bottom wall.

e: I only play on Cinder 14 (Doomed to Fail and Remote Guardians turned off) but this is the metaprogression setup I use to maximize my control over my build and I couldn't imagine changing a single point:

The ones that guarantee a secret room every floor and make mimics more common would be fantastic if you didn't have to take the one that shortens early floors to get them, but losing out on 6 early-game rooms is way too big of a penalty to pay IMO. I use red dice liberally on early floors to eat up as many foods as I can and having fewer chances to get stats at the start of the game before the difficulty ramps up sucks.

I personally consider those two well worth losing 6 early game rooms. Getting a guaranteed secret room every floor is a LOT of bonus resources and can get you really strong stuff early if you get lucky.