Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

How do you unlock the second set of classes?
I ascended the throne as the ranger through the middle path, but didn't see anything of the sort related to unlocking the classes.

I'm currently on world tier 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here's a full Cinder 10 playthrough as a Demon Hunter :2bong: Demon Hunter is the strongest class IMO for reasons that are evident throughout the video (super fast leveling, doubled dice reward rooms)

Where do those tainted rooms come from? They seem real nice!

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Just did my evil ranger run to unlock the demon hunter and it ended up getting really bonkers with the bow that deals frostbite + chill, a ton of stacked crit and mark related perks, as well as +100% damage from being very evil plus a charm that adds +40% for being evil. :sickos:

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Y'know at some point I'd expect it to just go ⭐14 instead of actually displaying all of them to the point where it kind of gets in the way.
Cloak of Mystra doubles all of the mana stars you get, stacked with the Archwizard Hat for +3 mana, as well as a +1 mana charm.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

No Wave posted:

Those stars make me ask - is Power multiplicative or additive with other sources of dmg% bonuses?

I think when it explicitly says "X% more" it's multiplicative.
I kinda got the feeling that it's multiplicative for mana stars, seeing how the final boss got deleted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH2l870CR8E

This would've been even nuttier if I had more mana-related traits going on.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

I just had a run where I ended up getting 102 strength + an S/S/S scaling bow + the trait that lets strength scaling also count for dex scaling. I'm not entirely sure how the math ends up on that last one, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Zjh2a4HWQ

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Huh, that would explain the seemingly random pricing changes at the tavern.

I've been recording a couple of runs whilst unlocking new classes and it feels like they just get increasingly unhinged as I go along.
Did three runs today, one where I wanted to try out the esper class, which went completely off the hook the moment I picked up the Balrog Wand combined with the trait that makes burn even better.

For the second run I wanted to unlock the Barbarian class which involves going to hell as the Warrior, except I completely forgot about actually going there and I went with the abyss route instead. I feel like I got completely abysmal traits in this run but it ended up being saved by the weapon drops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8KPzROkbFI

And in the third proper run I actually remembered to go to hell and went in really hard on bleed with a weapon that doesn't otherwise seem that great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JnQ9RVqvmY

In that last run I also saw opportunities to get up to maybe 5 flasks which would've let me get even more soul hearts than I've already been getting.
Today's runs do showcase amusing ways things can go off the rails if you just stick with it.

Honestly right now I feel like the Soul Scarf is way too strong when it comes to survivability, especially with how easy it is to refill your flasks now. Perhaps it's time to lay off the Soul Scarf for more interesting runs.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

How do orbital type weapons and effects work with attack sped and orbital speed? Is it set up in a way so that something can hit exactly once per orbit?
To me it seems that if you want to invest in orbitals, you really want to go all in on whatever it takes to make them go faster.

Just did a cleric run to unlock monk and I decided to go with the bible that gets stronger with curse, I have no idea what happened to the math but I was regularly seeing 42k crits at a really rapid pace, it did much better than I ever imagined.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would super appreciate someone double-checking my math

The dev posted about the mechanics on r/tinyrogues in response to basically the same question:

quote:

Mana in the 0.2.1 iteration is basically like a "power bar", each point by default grants 20% more damage (multiplier overall but additive with itself, so 2 stars equal to 40% more damage).
Traits and equipment can add different effects though, e.g.: Spellblade adds 10% attack speed per mana star.
Now your total bonus decreases the more mana you drain, so if you have 3 stars and drain down to 1 star you only receive a 20% more damage bonus.

If you drain below 0% mana you enter mana burnout, which is a very small cooldown before you can drain mana again.
Mana Burnout is bad if you have effects that want you to drain mana, e.g.: Discharge trait (spawns sparks for every mana drained).
By default draining mana also spawns the mana star pickups, which then replenishes mana again and grants a massive attack speed and mana refund buff.

So if you want to drain mana for certain effects or just for spawning mana pickups, you want to make sure you are not in mana burnout.

It can certainly be helpful to let mana regenerate in some cases, e.g.: when the boss is in a position you can't hit them anyways or while they are immune, ...
Generally mana recovers very quickly.

The reason the game has a "mana refund" stat and not a "mana cost reduction" stat like other games is because in the game draining mana is actually something good because as previously mentioned it spawns mana stars and it can trigger effects like Discharge, Manaforged Bolts, ...
For that same reason the "Arcane Familiar" trait is also useful, because it reduces the mana drain threshold. So if you want to spawn a lot of mana stars (e.g.: for triggering an "on pick up mana star effect" like Annihilation) reducing the drain threshold is very good. Obviously also combos with the other effects I mentioned.

To be completely honest, I am still playing around with mana. I am having a lot of fun and gaining a lot of knowledge in terms of game design on mana mechanics, which is very nice. I do like the new iteration a lot more and it's honestly less confusing than the old iteration too, but I am still not 100% happy with it. Maybe in the future mana will be an actual resource to cast powerful abilities? Maybe it will just stay the same. I am not sure yet!

TLDR:
Each point of mana grants 20% DMG, draining it reduces the total DMG bonus.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

What if they added colour-coded outlines for projectiles, where your own projectiles have a different colour compared to enemy ones?
Honestly when it comes to the colours used the only ones that feel consistent are the ones used for poison and curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Cluckeye bow owns and I'll always take it and try to make it work whenever I find it